Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome Shooter! On DS?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I have just played a mates copy of Space Invaders Extreme and holy car raffles Ted, this one is simply breathtaking!

It looks and sounds like a blend of Lumines and Rez, with the Space Invaders gameplay enhanced throughout.

I didn't really know what to expect, the last Space Invaders game to light my fire was a spoof update many many moons ago, but this is unprecedented.

Its got movie clip things playing in the background, as in Lumines.
    The playing field is studded with scoring info, pooing in and out of existence as in Tempest 2000.
    The Bosses are like 2D Rez characters.
    The music is techno, with musical stings as the bad guys buy it.

Honestly, this little DS system from Ninty just keeps throwing us stunning little numbers like this, the poor old PSP may be back in the wardrobe at this rate.

If you have the means, please give this one a go, its a tad hard to find but keep digging, trust me on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have just played a mates copy of Space Invaders Extreme and holy car raffles Ted, this one is simply breathtaking!

It looks and sounds like a blend of Lumines and Rez, with the Space Invaders gameplay enhanced throughout.

I didn't really know what to expect, the last Space Invaders game to light my fire was a spoof update many many moons ago, but this is unprecedented.

Its got movie clip things playing in the background, as in Lumines.
    The playing field is studded with scoring info, pooing in and out of existence as in Tempest 2000.
    The Bosses are like 2D Rez characters.
    The music is techno, with musical stings as the bad guys buy it.

Honestly, this little DS system from Ninty just keeps throwing us stunning little numbers like this, the poor old PSP may be back in the wardrobe at this rate.

If you have the means, please give this one a go, its a tad hard to find but keep digging, trust me on this one.

After playing the horrid Space Invaders Revolution for the DS I thought I'd give this one a miss. Is it really that good? *runs off to give it a go*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Will have to give this one a go. Hopefully it will fill the handheld shmup void from when I played Gradius Collection and Gradius Generations to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

This is something that most definitely will be given a go. It really is a great little system alright.

EDIT:900th post, WOOT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

It's really excellent stuff. I love how it uses the exact same turret and invaders set up as Space Invaders, but tweaks the pacing and scoring to make it feel completely fresh. And also good, since I didn't like Space Invaders.

Going in blind, it can also seem far more confusing than it actually is. So here's what I've figured out so far:

- Shooting four invaders of the same colour in a row gets you a power up of the same colour.

- The boxes in the background light up when you meet certain conditions. For example, shooting out a full column of invaders without shooting any others will light up the "column" box. If you light up all the boxes in the space of a level, you get an extra life.

- Shooting a flashing UFO takes you to a special sublevel and given a goal and a time limit. Finish it and you'll trigger fevertime (not as itchy as it sounds). In fevertime, you have an unlimited powerup and jackpot UFOs worth lots of points continuously scroll along the top of the screen.

- You get bonus points for taking out a wave without missing once, taking out a full wave by shooting one exploding invader, taking out a full wave with one continuous burst of laser and possibly other stuff too.

- Your can keep your combo growing by shooting invaders in quick succession. You get an end of level bonus corresponding to your biggest combo.

- There are other end-of-level bonuses for the number of fevertimes triggered and the number of levels completed in a row without losing a life.

- It's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is this the next Nervous Brickdown-style low-key DS cult classic then?

More importantly, where can I get it for under 30euro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    More importantly, where can I get it for under 30euro?

We're all playing the Japanese version at the moment. So you'd have to import it. More or less all of it is in English already.

As for the game, it's great. Good call Ciderman, I would have completely overlooked this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And isn't this importing great, and so fast too....

Oh look a bee! (runs away before the questions start!)

Advertisement