Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip- off Mechanics

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I put my car(ford) in for a service last week. I got
    The garage is charging me 690 for this work
    This is what the mechanic done
    Doe pre Test
    New starter
    Light alignment
    Ball joint
    Wheel tracking
    Full service
    Steering Lingkig

It is awfully expensive
    What are my rights around this.
    I feel I am being ripped off.
    Do I have to pay all of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Did you just ask for a service or did you approve the other work done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

It's about right, full service for a start is a couple of hundred, tracking and light alignment can be another hundred, then you have other parts and labour on top of pre test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Seems about right I recon for a garage service. Alot of labour there = alot of €€€.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You really should have asked for a quotation prior to undertaking the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A full service in a main dealer for my newish focus is about 100 bobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

TheDriver wrote: »
    A full service in a main dealer for my newish focus is about 100 bobs

I think you may be confusing a full service with, oil change, filters and plugs and even then you're doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Pays to shop around, got quoted 270 in one garage for a service on a Corsa, got it in another palce ten minutes away for 180 for pretty much the same work. Was slightly miffed when they then did some additional stuff without asking which brought it up to 270 anyway, but it was stuff that needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Indeed, it was 100 for a standard service and they charged me 130 for the full service (i.e. the 3rd of the cycle of 3). Thats a main dealer, labour, vat, ford parts etc included but nothing like tyres or wipers, all were ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Jellab wrote: »
    I put my car(ford) in for a service last week. I got
    The garage is charging me 690 for this work
    This is what the mechanic done
    Doe pre Test
    New starter
    Light alignment
    Ball joint
    Wheel tracking
    Full service
    Steering Lingkig

It is awfully expensive
    What are my rights around this.
    I feel I am being ripped off.
    Do I have to pay all of this?

None of the above is part of a standard service (bar the line that says full service :D), looking at the list there is a lot done there, i would have thought it would cost more. A new starter is probably €150/200 by itself, tracking is 50 quid probably. You should have specified what was to be done to the car tbh, i usually avoid pre DOE, NCT checks as it lets a mechanic do whatever they want when the vehicle might pass without the work.

I don't let a mechanic put new wipers on my car unless i tell him. Surprising they didn't mention some of this work to you before they did it, I would be annoyed about that but i don't think you did too badly.

€100 for a service is only for new cars where they have included a deal of 3 services, you do well to get anything done for less than 150 these days. You should get the opinion of those over on the Motors board, some of the guys over there are very well informed on these things, my figures are a bit of guesstimate. Your vehicle is a commerical too is it, probably bigger engines, more oil, bigger parts in some cases....

Advertisement