Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ffix

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Playing FFIX at the moment and looking for some advice...im on the 3rd disc and just got control of all the main characters for the first time, is it important to have everyone around the same level for this game? If thats the case ill start with using my lower leveled characters first ^^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

carbonkid wrote: »
    Playing FFIX at the moment and looking for some advice...im on the 3rd disc and just got control of all the main characters for the first time, is it important to have everyone around the same level for this game? If thats the case ill start with using my lower leveled characters first ^^

Played through this a couple of times and I still use Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Eiko (Occasionally Steiner) religiously. Others always languished behind in terms of time spent with them! Just use who you like, the game won't punish you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Not really, most people just pick 4 people and level them.
    You can do whatever you want though, you can level all of them.

I'm about to start a excalibur II run :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

It doesnt really matter. I usually stick with 4 and level them. In older FF's (like 6) the group is split up a lot and everyone tends to be roughly the same but in the later ones you tend to stick with a few.

Also, i have to say that Quina is the best (and most under-rated) character in the game! If you eat enough enemies and learn their abilities you can get some unbelievable moves. Like Re-raise (raise a character if he/she dies) and mighty guard (protect and shell on the entire party)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always tend to use all the characters in these games, swapping them in and out as they level up. You don't need to do any levelling up in FFIX, even the optional boss Ozma can be killed with the right abilities and only a few hours grinding. FFIX in particular has so many unique characters that it's a shame to not use them. The final boss might require some grinding but thats only because he is a cheating bastard at the best of times.

Have to agree with Quina being a great character. Some of her/his spells are incredibly effective. Magic Hammer can really mess with bosses and is practically essential for Ozma.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Thanx ^^

Will try keep them all leveled up but not sure how long itll last. Im finding the game pretty easy so far (then again all ff games are if you know how to play em) but sounds like the final boss is going to be a prick :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

carbonkid wrote: »
    sounds like the final boss is going to be a prick :P

The final boss is just a cheap cheating bastard and nothing else. On my first play through I beat him at quite low levels because I flew through the game doing very little side quests. He killed me about 3 times but I eventually beat him.

The second time through the game I beat all the subquests except Ozma and was about 10 levels higher than I was when I beat it the first time and had awful trouble beating the last boss. Must have killed me 8 times. Even loaded up the old file to see if my levels were up to scratch and was amazed at how low they were then. He just has a number of attacks that if you get in the wrong order or multiple times he will absolute cream you unless your party are at mega high levels.

...suppose next question is what levels should i be at. Actually nevermind ill cross that path when i come to it. Im usually over leveled in FF games ayway cause i like to explore alot. Think im about an average level 30 now. I prefer the design and story of X but IX is a great game for battle options and that fact you have to learn spells and other stuff.

Was around level 42 with zidane and 38-39 with everyone else at the final boss the first time through I think. Second time through I was at about 52 with Zidane and 48-49 with everyone else. Don't look up walkthroughs for recommended levels, the people who write them are overlevelling cretins. I've beaten games at levels they would think are suicidal. FF games can all be beaten with no grinding, just some good tactics other than a few bogey final bosses.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't look up walkthroughs for recommended levels, the people who write them are overlevelling cretins.

I checked out a walkthrough for X-2 cause its all mission based and wanted to get as much extra fmv as possible. They recommended i think about level 60 so i made sure i was least that, final bosses were all absolute cake walks, no fun in victory at all. I find it hard to know the perfect level ^^

The Final Fantasy games from FF3 onwards are all perfectly balanced so that you can tackle the game without any grinding as long as you haven't been running away from every battle. Even super tough final bosses can be dispatched if you just do a few sub quests and come back with better levels and equipment, no need for grinding at all.

In fact I think that if I level grinded FFX it would have totally ruined the experience for me. That game was one of the best RPG experiences ever due to the fact that at low level you really needed some strategic thinking to beat many of the bosses. It was a great experience beating some of the bosses due to clever use of status effects and spells rather than being at a level were I could just wail on them until they died. Pity the European version of the game had the disgraceful Dark Aeons in it meaning you couldn't do any subquests in the game since they blocked them so the only option was grinding.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Final Fantasy games from FF3 onwards are all perfectly balanced so that you can tackle the game without any grinding as long as you haven't been running away from every battle.

well unless its a Tonberry or a Cactuar and then you run for the hills!!!

Advertisement