Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging cheque

Options
  • 03-03-2008 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

My wife received a large cheque from a solicitor. It's made out to her and is crossed. We want to lodge this into an account that is in my name only. Is there any problem or procedure for doing this, i.e., signing the back, her having to present herself to the bank in person, etc? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It can only go into an account that has her name on it. Be that a joint or sole account.

It makes no diff is someone else does it, it just must follow the rules above.

Does it say account payee only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Does it say account payee only?
    I don't have it in front of me now but I seem to remember that it does. Would this further restrict the cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well sometimes the crossing can say "and co". If it says "Account Payee Only" then your left with only being able to lodge it into the payee's account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

As unclebill has said. If it becomes an issue, get your wife to open an a/c and then do a transfer to your a/c after the cheque has cleared.

Advertisement