Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Lanes, Pedestrians and Roller Bladers

Options
  • 03-03-2008 8:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey all,

Do you cycle in the Phoenix Park?
    Have you had problems with pedestrians and/or roller bladers on the cycle track?

Yesterday, the road was very busy (as it is most Sundays), so I kept to the cycle track. However, I think the road may have been safer.
    Following a warning sign to two roller bladers, one of them decides to cross the cycle lane and knock me off the bike, actually I should say poleaxe me off the bike.

What is the etiquette for using the cycle lanes, are roller bladers permitted to use these? I know there is nothing legal here, but surely there is some sort of agreement?

Have others had such problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

The quality of some of the cycle lanes are a problem too. The one between rte and belfield is an absolute disgrace, full of storm drains, crap tarmac and holes

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

On sir john rogersons quay I have givin up asking people to move off the lane, now if they get in my way I'll hit them, the ones you hit won't get in the cycle lane again it seems to be working as I only hit one person last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Is this like the 'carrot and stick' technique without the carrot? What do you use to hit them with? Front wheel? Handlebars? Bunch of 5s? Better be careful that some gouger doesn't wait for you the next morning with piano wire tied to a lamp-post or something..... you'd need to change your jacket/bag/bike colour every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

sound like a lot of potential fun with an airhorn??

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

kenmc I think your imagination is runnning away with piano wire. Since I changed my bike and the wheels are alot thinner I try to hit them with my handle bars, was considering on getting an airhorn off dealextreme.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11103

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... Roller blades, mammies walking the dogs, and small children on their pushbikes... and wghen you cycle past them, they look at you as if you were on their way. Blood boiling! So many times I have told them to walk on the pedestrian path ...
    In the summer, when they all go to the park, they park their car on the side of the road and unload everything: buggy, kids, dogs, on the cycling lane.
    We were in touch with the Park rangers, but they said there's nothing they can do about it ...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seriously, just cycle on the road. It's safer.

That's what I do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Jason_77 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Do you cycle in the Phoenix Park?
    Have you had problems with pedestrians and/or roller bladers on the cycle track?

Yesterday, the road was very busy (as it is most Sundays), so I kept to the cycle track. However, I think the road may have been safer.
    Following a warning sign to two roller bladers, one of them decides to cross the cycle lane and knock me off the bike, actually I should say poleaxe me off the bike.

What is the etiquette for using the cycle lanes, are roller bladers permitted to use these? I know there is nothing legal here, but surely there is some sort of agreement?

Have others had such problems?
    The Park Rangers acknowledge that the "cycle lane" in the Phoenix Park is the source of the most complaints from cyclists. I think that they are too busy counting the complaints to actually do anything about them. Apparently the paths used to be the other way around - pedestrian one adjacent to the road.

Roller bladers are a border case - they are going to fast for the pedestrian lane but are too side-to-side to share the cycle lane.

Etiquette - deep breaths and patience are needed.

Tell us more about this "warning sign" and the poleaxing. The poleaxing sounds like a deliberate assault that I would have reported to the Gardai (a 999 call would have been in order here).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Are you training? or just using the park to get somewhere?
    If you were training i'd use the outer roads. If its just for getting somewhere I'd crawl along the cycle lane or use the road. I know it would be nice to try and educate everyone to use the road properly but you'd be along time at it.
    I guess most people in the park are there to enjoy themselves and don't really think about sticking to lane rules. Maybe that's the right attitude on a Sunday in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I just use the road, making sure to stay far enough out of the reach of any doors. Colliding with people isn't going to do anyone any good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you were training i'd use the outer roads.

I think this is a key point. If you're flying along at 40kph+ it just isn't safe to be sharing space with pedestrians. Sure they're in the wrong by being there, but unless you want to start mowing people down like our friend above, staying on the road seems to be the more prudent choice. The downside is the occasional verbal altercation with motorists, particuarly taxi drivers, who want to know why you're not cycling on the the bike path. I'd take that any day over the risk of a collision though to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used to cycle down the Naas Road into town from the main longmile rd/naas rd junction into town and once a bus came so close to me that I came off my bike. Luckily I was going very slow so could jump off. From then on I used the footpaths because you either cycle in the middle of the roadway and obstruct the traffic (so they don't run you over) or cycle on the footpath. I would always yield to pedestrians but used to get people shouting at me for being on the footpath.That stretch of road is treacherous but it was my route in and out of work.

Don't get me started on cycling in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jason_77

Thanks for the replies folks.

For the warning, I shouted 'coming through'. Prior to this warning, the roller bladers were on either side of the track on the grass verges . When she heard the shout she said she panicked and just crossed. I asked did she see me and she said yes, but she didn't know why she crossed.
    It was an accident to be fair, but something needs to be done about the use of cycle lanes. Plus it doesn't help me much today as I am in a wee bit of pain, especially my neck and side of head (got a good thump off the ground).

I am training, not just commuting. I normally use the roads but yesterday the main avenue in the park was extremely busy, hence my reason for using the cycle lanes. Agree that the outer roads are better, was on these for most of the time in the saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

was on the phoenix park cycleway yesterday and i agree, it was fairly chockablock. my biggest problem is small kids wandering ahead/behind their parents; liable to do almost anything, fall, stop dead, walk in front of you. feel bad about shouting at the parents in front of their kids, but it might be necessary if it keeps up in future i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ah, the phoenix-park-cyclelane-issue...

i've taken to 'buzzing' some pedestrians. it's not big. it's definitely not clever. it might even be plain wrong. but it is fun. shameful, irresponsible fun. this would qualify as antisocial behavior i suppose, but i've tired of alternately asking, scolding, begging, ignoring, and accepting peds in my lane.

by 'buzzing' i mean getting up a good pace and passing them as near as you dare, from behind. you know you've got it right when you hear a distinctive " 'kin 'ell" or involuntary squeal from your chosen target. i'm careful who i pick on though, no oldies or kids etc.

if self preservation is added to the list of reasons pedestrians shouldn't use the cycle lane, i'm ok with that. being polite/law abiding is not a strong motivator for most. fear is.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

niceonetom wrote: »
    i've taken to 'buzzing' some pedestrians. it's not big. it's definitely not clever. it might even be plain wrong. but it is fun.

:) I used to do that on the coast road cycle paths near Clontarf. There's a pedestrian path on both sides of the cycle path but would they walk on them? Like f***!

I've always liked the idea of getting an air horn, but it would probably shock them too much and they'd freeze rather than get out of the way :(

Anyway, you cyclists in Dublin don't know how lucky you have it. I used to think Dublin was a terrible place for cycling until I moved down to Navan. Some terrible quality roads, drivers who have never seen a cyclist before and love cutting you off etc. and kids using you for target practice. The joy!! :eek:

i've taken to 'buzzing' some pedestrians.

While I can understand the frustration, what happens if the pedestrian suddenly drifts in your direction at the last moment? It can and does happen.

el tonto wrote: »
    While I can understand the frustration, what happens if the pedestrian suddenly drifts in your direction at the last moment? It can and does happen.

nothing good obviously. why ask questions you know the answer to?

the key is to do it to the right type of pedestrian and not to get so close to as to bring about any real danger while still being close enough to get the desired yelp. i'm cheeky, not psycho, and have a healthy fear of pain. if you feel the need to tell me i'm irresponsible etc. knock yourself out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Enduro

getting up a good pace and passing them as near as you dare, from behind. you know you've got it right when you hear a distinctive " 'kin 'ell" or involuntary squeal from your chosen target.

"Tower, This is Ghostrider Requesting A Fly-by" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

You've just given me another reason to hate my name.
    Enduro wrote: »
    "Tower, This is Ghostrider Requesting A Fly-by" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

zzap64 wrote: »
    I've always liked the idea of getting an air horn, but it would probably shock them too much and they'd freeze rather than get out of the way :(
    I find it pretty effective on my commute, if you let it off far enough behind they have time to look around see you and move. if they don't then just lay on it the horn until they do hear you, and hit the brakes too. If you're right behind them as they turn they get the fright of their lives. People need to be trained. Noise, fright and pain are often good training tools :) I think a cattle prod is the ultimate though, but they're a bit heavy to carry on a bike. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I had to shout at a woman this morning - she had crossed the road to her friends SUV which was parked half-on, half-off the cycle lane, and never once glanced left, and was just about to open the door right in my path.

Idiot.

... 'Buzzin' is a bit harsh now ... most of the roller bladers in the park can't skate ...

The Cycling lanes in the park were deserted yesterday afternoon after work on my way back home :)

Glowing wrote: »
    I had to shout at a woman this morning - she had crossed the road to her friends SUV which was parked half-on, half-off the cycle lane, and never once glanced left, and was just about to open the door right in my path.

Idiot.

... and an SUV backed into me yesterday in Renelagh ... someone in his car shouted at him when he saw I was trying to save my own life ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

One of my brakes makes aloud squeaking noise when I pull it even a little. I use this to alert pedestrians I see from a distance. Not only on cyclelanes but typically people walking on car side of road sometimes on a mobile. They'll likely turn to cross the road without looking.

... 'Buzzin' is a bit harsh now ... most of the roller bladers in the park can't skate ...

i actually leave the rollerbladers alone. too much side-to-side stuff to go anywhere near them. withering looks only.

they are ridiculous though aren't they? particularly the fellas humouring their girlfriends and trying (and failing) not to look like complete arses as they try to keep up/not fall in a panting heap. the speed-walkers also crack me up.

i actually leave the rollerbladers alone. too much side-to-side stuff to go anywhere near them. withering looks only.

they are ridiculous though aren't they? particularly the fellas humouring their girlfriends and trying (and failing) not to look like complete arses as they try to keep up/not fall in a panting heap. the speed-walkers also crack me up.

I agree :) and it seems to be always the same type of people roller staking ( or trying to ) ...

'Dog Power walking' middle aged women are funny, with their tracksuit bottoms and running shoes and full make up on...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They also seem to be the most stubborn about using the cycle lane, and many times I've seen them deliberately step off a footpath and onto a cycle lane if they see one. If anyone's in need of an airhorn or a "buzzing" as someone mentioned... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

If the park authorities really wanted to do something about it then the simple word "ONLY" under each bicycle symbol, and more of them would go a long way to letting people know what that lane is for.

But at the end of the day, this is Ireland... and on a Sunday everyone tries to chill and relax. In keeping with that spirit (God knows we all need more of it) I don't get uptight about it.

Advertisement