Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Lanes, Pedestrians and Roller Bladers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

digitalage wrote: »
    was considering on getting an airhorn off dealextreme.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11103
    I wonder how close you can get the button to the normal hand position. I wouldn't want to be moving a hand away from the brake lever at a time like this.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    i've taken to 'buzzing' some pedestrians. it's not big. it's definitely not clever. it might even be plain wrong. but it is fun. shameful, irresponsible fun. this would qualify as antisocial behavior i suppose, but i've tired of alternately asking, scolding, begging, ignoring, and accepting peds in my lane.

by 'buzzing' i mean getting up a good pace and passing them as near as you dare, from behind. you know you've got it right when you hear a distinctive " 'kin 'ell" or involuntary squeal from your chosen target. i'm careful who i pick on though, no oldies or kids etc.

I do a bit of this. I tend to roar 'Cycle Lane' in their ears from about 6 inches away. If I roar earlier, they might well jump in the wrong direction, so I wait until I am too close for them to jump. The roars are lost on the iPod-ed ones, mind you.

Would anyone be up for a 'Reclaim the Cycle Lane' mass cycle around the Phoenix park some day?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would anyone be up for a 'Reclaim the Cycle Lane' mass cycle around the Phoenix park some day?

Sounds like a plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Down with this sort of thing- does no-one any good. What you fail to comprehend is the innate folly of off-road cycle lanes which are simply unsuitable for cycling on at any more than maybe 2-3x walking pace. Just use the road. Speed limit in the park is 50km/h anyway.

Reclaim the streets and I would be well with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

On sunday afternoon when the weather is nice :) to reach more people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

niceonetom wrote: »
    i actually leave the rollerbladers alone. too much side-to-side stuff to go anywhere near them. withering looks only.

they are ridiculous though aren't they? particularly the fellas humouring their girlfriends and trying (and failing) not to look like complete arses as they try to keep up/not fall in a panting heap. the speed-walkers also crack me up.

Heh, when we were training in Centennial Park in Sydney, groups of us actually used to pass the cyclist teams doing theirs. Obviously the pros could beat us, but the swearing out of some of them when we skated past was actually quite funny.
    Never assume that a bike can beat a skater :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement