Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect quote- how to progress

Options
  • 03-03-2008 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I recently got a quote for 25m sq of hardwood decking from a major timber merchant. It proved to be the best quote by far out of about half a dozen supplier I called, so I rang up last monday, gave the quote and my visa details and arranged delivery. I got a call on Wednesday from the office manager saying that someone had given me the incorrect information and my quote was out by approximately €1800. I have to say at this stage that I am not in the trade, so I did think the original quote was good, but it didn't seem bizzarely low. Anyway he told me he couldn't give it to me for that price. Anyway, after huffing and puffing a bit (all amicable) and speaking to the site manager they offered it to me at what they said was "cost" for them which was about double my original quote.
    Part of me thinks I've got a good deal, but part of me thinks (supported by a chippy mate) that I should have stuck to my guns and demanded the original quote. The upside is that I think I still got a good deal (25 sq m, 24 lengths of 4 metre 4" x "2 and 450 decking screws) for under a grand and it's now secured at my house.
    Does anyone know if I should have stuck to the original quote or I have I done the right thing - their end of the story was that someone put a decimal point in the wrong place and it all ended amicably?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

I'd advise contacting the Office of Consumer affairs and see where you stand legally before proceeding any further with the supplier. See what way the law feels about such an issue. It may well depend on if you had the original quote in writing...not sure...but check it out.

Advertisement