Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows startup taking ages

• 03-03-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

My Pc boots up fine, but upon booting up it takes ages - sometimes almost 10 minutes for it to cease doing all those startup things, i.e. hard drive light flickering like crazy and be ready for normal use. I have removed all unnecessay start up entries. I have disabled any windows service that I thought unnecessary and it seems to make no difference. My Pc also should not be a slow pc imo.

Specs are
    Motherboard Asus P4C800-E deluxe.
    Operating System XP Service Pack 2
    Processor Pentium 4 3 Ghz Socket 478
    3 GB Dimm ram

Harddrive is a 120 GB Maxtor. If I had to suspect any part of my hardware being an issue it would be the harddrive. Is there a realistic possibility that this might be the case?

I did a check this morning to see what was running a few minuteds after boot up. I noticed svchost.exe was taking up a lot of cpu time, sometimes it would jump to 0 and then back up high.

Any ideas of how I can figure out what's causing this huge delay?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to Windows which handles processes executed from DLLs. It's important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should deffo not be terminated.

I hear that it can be used maliciously by trojans, but I will leave that to people more experienced than I? I think there is some form of consistency check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

First thing to do is run a AV/Spyware Scan on your pc in safemode ( f8 at bootup ) Second thing to do is check what is starting automaticially A quick way of doing this is by clicking Start > All programs > Startup. In this folder will be programs that will start as soon as windows loads, usually stuff like AV scanner and the likes. But alot of programs throw themselfs into this. So if you dont need it at startup you can remove it. Another thing to check is what services are starting with windows. To check - Start > Run> And enter " Services.msc " But unless you know what yoru doing dont start disabeling things. You can also check yoru registery too, but again if you dont know what yoru doing you can do alot more harm than good. If you check google there are a load of guids out there to walk you through doing what i mentioned above. Oh and before i forget it would be no harm going to maxtors website and downloading their hard drive tool. This will scan yoru hard drive for any errors and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

If you haven't done so already, MS Bootvis is worth a look at. Seeing as you've looked at almost everything else, there's not a lot more advice to give you. The machine is obviously reading something off the disk like nuts! I've seen svchost go crazy before, but maybe you can run something like Process Explorer to see exactly what it's running in the background.

I'd doubt it's anything malicious on the PC, but you can never be too sure so do a full scan. After that, try disabling anti-virus and everything else non-essential on startup, rule them out of the problem. My usual last resort with these kind of Windows bugs (before my last last resort of reinstall) would be a windows repair. but that's only if nothing else is fixing it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Anti wrote: »
    First thing to do is run a AV/Spyware Scan on your pc in safemode ( f8 at bootup ) Second thing to do is check what is starting automaticially A quick way of doing this is by clicking Start > All programs > Startup. In this folder will be programs that will start as soon as windows loads, usually stuff like AV scanner and the likes. But alot of programs throw themselfs into this. So if you dont need it at startup you can remove it. Another thing to check is what services are starting with windows. To check - Start > Run> And enter " Services.msc " But unless you know what yoru doing dont start disabeling things. You can also check yoru registery too, but again if you dont know what yoru doing you can do alot more harm than good. If you check google there are a load of guids out there to walk you through doing what i mentioned above. Oh and before i forget it would be no harm going to maxtors website and downloading their hard drive tool. This will scan yoru hard drive for any errors and the likes.

cheers, just finished running a virus scan using AVG v.8 in safe mode, it took over 9 hours and when it finished it just exited the dos prompt, so i didnt get to see the result :eek:

I'm running spysweeper now. here's hoping it doesnt take that long.
    If you haven't done so already, MS Bootvis is worth a look at. Seeing as you've looked at almost everything else, there's not a lot more advice to give you. The machine is obviously reading something off the disk like nuts! I've seen svchost go crazy before, but maybe you can run something like Process Explorer to see exactly what it's running in the background.

I'd doubt it's anything malicious on the PC, but you can never be too sure so do a full scan. After that, try disabling anti-virus and everything else non-essential on startup, rule them out of the problem. My usual last resort with these kind of Windows bugs (before my last last resort of reinstall) would be a windows repair. but that's only if nothing else is fixing it for you!

Cheers, I will try your suggestions too.

Thx for your help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How does it behave in safe mode ?

if all else fails do a check on the hard drive with hdtune or manufacturers diags

• Advertisement

How does it behave in safe mode ?

there's none of that crazy hard drive activity that I get in normal mode, it's loaded up very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

2 days now trying to sort this out. :(
    I think I have reduced the time a bit but still taking 4 to 5 minutes.
    • I have got rid of all programs from start up.
    • I have disabled Automatic Updates. Think this has made an impact but probably not the central issue.
    • I turned off AVG and Spysweeper at one point in case they were delaying things. I think they possibly were but to a certain degree but not the main cause for this issue.
    • I defragged my C drive. Might have helped a bit, but again not a main cause.
    • I uses seatools to scan and repair 2 errors on my disk, again did not have any major detectable effect on problem as far as I can tell, though it does make me even more dubious about my hard drive. I think I need to get myself a better one regradless of whether I sort this this or not.
    • I've used Process Explorer also. I added it to start up but it takes about 2 minutes to come on, at that point there doesn't seem to be anything too mad going on. If I had to single out anything it would be the ATI Catalyst Control Center. But I was having start up delays ever before that was installed, and I don't think it looks like it's hogging cpu enough to be a major problem.

I still got a few more things to try. I haven't tried MS bootvis yet. I must try some more spyware stuff also.

Anyway thanks for everyones help so far, anyone have any ideas what cause might be now that I've tried out these various thigns and still haven't solved it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You haven't mentioned it and it probably wouldn't be causing problem anyways, but you don't have more than 1 anti virus software running do you?

Nope, I dont have a 2nd anti-virus software installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

Have you a printer connected to you PC? I had an issue similar to this before. PC was taking an age to start up and then running like a dog at times. Check your process and see if the is winspool or spool summit running? I can't remember the exact details tbh.

My problem was that I had accidently printed something when I had no printers connected and it was going to the MS spooler. So for weeks it kept, eh, spooling.

Long shot but maybe worth a look.

The printer we have here is connected to my wife's pc, it's not even on that much, so in my case at least I don't think that's issue.

tbh although this is very annoying for me I'm sort of intrigued now to find out what the hell is causing this ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

luckylucky wrote: »
    there's none of that crazy hard drive activity that I get in normal mode, it's loaded up very quick.
    OK that points to malware / other junk you don't want running.

check that your AV isn't doing a full scan on each boot
    do a major malware scan - check the PC health forum

autoruns - nice util to list what is trying to startup

have you tried disabling different (non-critical) services, one by one, from starting altogether? (again, services.msc) just change stuff like wireless, firewall, auto updates startup type to disabled and reboot. If everything is working sweet in Safe mode, that's an indicator it's something starting up with XP in normal mode! just gotta figure out what!

OK that points to malware / other junk you don't want running.

check that your AV isn't doing a full scan on each boot
    do a major malware scan - check the PC health forum

autoruns - nice util to list what is trying to startup
    have you tried disabling different (non-critical) services, one by one, from starting altogether? (again, services.msc) just change stuff like wireless, firewall, auto updates startup type to disabled and reboot. If everything is working sweet in Safe mode, that's an indicator it's something starting up with XP in normal mode! just gotta figure out what!

Thanks again for the help.

I've tried a few of the spyware stuff now. I had already had Adaware and Spysweeper. What's kind of strange is that Spysweeper is not detecting anything at all, not even ad cookies (which I think it used to do). Is there a possibity that spysweeper itself might have got compromised!? Adaware just detected those ad cookie things, no big deal. I ran spybot and superantispyware too and one of them found a thing called 'Searchspy', that appears to have been removed now. It still hasn't remedied the speed situation. I timed it last night and it was almost 7 minutes on the dot from windows opening for the hard disk light to stop and that is actually a bit of an improvement. I'm becoming knowledgable now on how to make windows xp boot-up quicker :p but still haven't got to the crux of the specific problem with my windows.

I'm going to have a look through services.msc again and see if there is anything else I can disable, I've already disabled a number of things.

You sure PokerTracker isn't churning away in the back ground? ;P :)

I don't know if any of the links or tools other posted cover this but.. in run type in msconfig and then choose the Startup tab. Be real carefull in there! It is a bit of a bitch as all you can read are the command lines to guess what is starting up. I'd leave all the C/windows alone. You might see things like C\programefiles\quicktime\qttask

Untick all that rubbish unless you want them on startup. Live messenger etc.

Then see how it boots.

Plan_D wrote: »
    You sure PokerTracker isn't churning away in the back ground? ;P :)

lol, nah. Though I do wonder if Postgressql is having an impact.
    I don't know if any of the links or tools other posted cover this but.. in run type in msconfig and then choose the Startup tab. Be real carefull in there! It is a bit of a bitch as all you can read are the command lines to guess what is starting up. I'd leave all the C/windows alone. You might see things like C\programefiles\quicktime\qttask

Untick all that rubbish unless you want them on startup. Live messenger etc.

Then see how it boots.

I've already done a quite a bit of this sort of thing. Live Messenger and Yahoo Im as well as other apps are now removed from start up, I've disabled things like Automatic updates and other services in service.msc. I've no doubt this sort of thing is improving boot up performance and I'll take another look shortly to see if there is anything else I can disable, but there is something major going on here I think that is the real cause of this issue. What it is I obviously haven't found out yet. :(

I know it's the last thing you want to hear right now but, sometimes it easier to take the bull by the horns & do a wipe. Flatten the machine & do a reinstall.

This would take less then 2 hrs & you'd have everything back to your liking within the day.

It's one surefire way to ensuring a smooth running squeaky clean system.

After all, you are chasing this now for three days or more!

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I know it's the last thing you want to hear right now but, sometimes it easier to take the bull by the horns & do a wipe. Flatten the machine & do a reinstall.

This would take less then 2 hrs & you'd have everything back to your liking within the day.

It's one surefire way to ensuring a smooth running squeaky clean system.

After all, you are chasing this now for three days or more!

-

I couldn't agree with you more. In terms of saving time I'm definitely better off doing this. In fact in terms of saving money the amount of time I've fiddled around with stuff on this pc I'd be way better off just buying a new machine.

I've wiped this pc several times in the past, because of similar problems. But at this stage I'd really just like to find out what the hell is causing this purely for the sake of it. I kinda got the bit between my teeth on this one ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. In terms of saving time I'm definitely better off doing this. In fact in terms of saving money the amount of time I've fiddled around with stuff on this pc I'd be way better off just buying a new machine.

I've wiped this pc several times in the past, because of similar problems. But at this stage I'd really just like to find out what the hell is causing this purely for the sake of it. I kinda got the bit between my teeth on this one ;)

I can be very like that myself too :D It's a bit*h isn't it? :rolleyes:
    While I would also advocate the "It won't get the better of me" scenario, don't fall foul of the "cut off your nose" syndrome either ;)

Good luck with it anyway.

-

• Advertisement

hmmm could very well be a hardware issue so :(

Might be worth posting the full spec on the Hardware/Self build board to see if one of them knowledgeable (<<< that word just looks so wrong!) folks can help you on the hardware side?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

For the hell of it, why don't you bang up a "Hijackthis" log.

You never know!

-

I can be very like that myself too :D It's a bit*h isn't it? :rolleyes:
    While I would also advocate the "It won't get the better of me" scenario, don't fall foul of the "cut off your nose" syndrome either ;)

Good luck with it anyway.

-

cheers, I think I'm going to give it just one more day to try to figure it out. I'm coming back to the fatherland tomorrow anyway for a few days. :) I'm going to buy a better hard dirve when I get back here and resinstall on that if this isn't sorted.

I might even just buy a new hard drive anyway, it's the crappiest part of my pc, though I have ruled it out as the cause of the problem.
    hmmm could very well be a hardware issue so :(

Might be worth posting the full spec on the Hardware/Self build board to see if one of them knowledgeable (<<< that word just looks so wrong!) folks can help you on the hardware side?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

My hard drive isn't a great one tbh but I'm inclined to think this is too severe to be a hardware problem. Also as capt'n Midnight and woolymammoth have said it doesn't look like it's hardware as it boots up real quick in safe mode.

For the hell of it, why don't you bang up a "Hijackthis" log.

You never know!

-

Oh here goes my first ever hijackthis log. Hope one of ye can help me here. I've no idea what I should be looking out for :(

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:33:56 PM, on 3/6/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgfws8.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\dcsuserprot.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Power Management Software\RupsMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\sqlwriter.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgam.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Power Management Software\usbmate.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\LCDMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\procguard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDClock.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDCountdown.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDMedia.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\Applets\LCDPop3.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\aAvgApi.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgnsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVGTOOLBAR - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
    O2 - BHO: IE Developer Toolbar BHO - {CC7E636D-39AA-49b6-B511-65413DA137A1} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar\IEDevToolbar.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Translator - {FF284F5C-7CF9-4682-8701-D467C1DBB99F} - C:\Program Files\PRMT78\PRMTIE\prmtie.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVGTOOLBAR - {A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E} - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PRONoMgr.exe] "C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\PROSet\PRONoMgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!1_pgaccount] "C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] "RUNDLL32.EXE" TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UserFaultCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -u
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dumprep 0 -k
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LCDMon] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\LCD Manager\LCDMon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Launch LGDCore] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\GamePanel Software\G-series Software\LGDCore.exe" /SHOWHIDE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] "C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMax4PNP.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAX] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\Smax4.exe" /tray
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [!1_ProcessGuard_Startup] "C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\procguard.exe" -minimize
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-725345543-2077806209-682003330-1005\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'postgres')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Startup: Process Explorer.lnk = C:\Process Explorer\procexp.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Fa&vorites Box... - res://C:\Program Files\Favorites Box\FavoritesManager.dll/FAVMAN.DLL.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: ImTranslator - C:\PROGRA~1\SMARTL~1\IMTRAN~1\startup.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to monitor &1 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to monitor &2 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Bet Hold'em Poker - {1BB3B2DD-30A2-4231-9547-B61760F0BF86} - C:\Program Files\betholdemMPP\MPPoker.exe
    O9 - Extra button: IE Developer Toolbar - {48FFE35F-36D9-44bd-A6CC-1D34414EAC0D} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar\IEDevToolbar.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {7A2EFD41-E6B3-11D2-89E3-00E0292EE574} - C:\Program Files\PRMT78\PRMTIE\prmtie5.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Translate - {7A2EFD41-E6B3-11D2-89E3-00E0292EE574} - C:\Program Files\PRMT78\PRMTIE\prmtie5.htm
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {7A2EFD41-E6B3-11D2-89E3-00E0292EE575} - C:\Program Files\PRMT78\PRMTIE\options.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Customize translation options - {7A2EFD41-E6B3-11D2-89E3-00E0292EE575} - C:\Program Files\PRMT78\PRMTIE\options.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: UltimateBet - {94148DB5-B42D-4915-95DA-2CBB4F7095BF} - C:\Program Files\UltimateBet\UltimateBet.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: UltimateBet - {94148DB5-B42D-4915-95DA-2CBB4F7095BF} - C:\Program Files\UltimateBet\UltimateBet.exe
    O9 - Extra button: CDPoker - {A68FC757-51CF-4f3c-B13A-BFB8CA69BB99} - C:\Poker\CDPoker\casino.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: CDPoker - {A68FC757-51CF-4f3c-B13A-BFB8CA69BB99} - C:\Poker\CDPoker\casino.exe
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Ladbrokes Poker - {C2A80015-C447-4dc4-82DD-AED83D6ED57E} - C:\Program Files\ladbrokesMPP\MPPoker.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra button: ImTranslator - {AE436396-55E7-4ec4-AD6D-45E88A530A4C} - C:\PROGRA~1\SMARTL~1\IMTRAN~1\startup.html (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ImTranslator - {AE436396-55E7-4ec4-AD6D-45E88A530A4C} - C:\PROGRA~1\SMARTL~1\IMTRAN~1\startup.html (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra button: Add to Favorites... - {E09EAD23-4C99-4e12-BFF0-69D810815407} - C:\Program Files\Favorites Box\FavoritesManager.dll (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Add to Favorites... - {E09EAD23-4C99-4e12-BFF0-69D810815407} - C:\Program Files\Favorites Box\FavoritesManager.dll (HKCU)
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/yinst/yinst_current.cab
    O16 - DPF: {67A5F8DC-1A4B-4D66-9F24-A704AD929EEE} (System Requirements Lab) - http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload/srl/2.0.0.1/sysreqlab2.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1164754823171
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
    O16 - DPF: {D821DC4A-0814-435E-9820-661C543A4679} (CRLDownloadWrapper Class) - http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/crlupdate/en/crlocx.ocx
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
    O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: APC UPS Service - American Power Conversion Corporation - C:\Program Files\APC\APC PowerChute Personal Edition\mainserv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG8 Firewall (avgfws8) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgfws8.exe
    O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: DiamondCS Process Guard Service v3.000 (DCSPGSRV) - DiamondCS - C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\dcsuserprot.exe
    O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Imapi Helper - Alex Feinman - C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ImapiHelper.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: PostgreSQL Database Server 8.2 (pgsql-8.2) - PostgreSQL Global Development Group - C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pg_ctl.exe
    O23 - Service: Rupsmon - Belkin - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Power Management Software\RupsMon.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: USBMate - Mega Corp. - C:\Program Files\Belkin\Belkin Power Management Software\usbmate.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe

--
    End of file - 15213 bytes

Am I better off posting that log somewhere else like the virus and malware forum?
    I was going to do that but I didn't want to create another thread if it was unnecessary.

how many of those running processess did you try disabling on start up? And did you get a chance to run bootvis yet? It should give you a report on what's taking how long to load and all that!

[edit]
    while i'm thinking of it, something else i remembered today that i seen a few weeks back, might be useful!!

http://www.asktheadmin.com/2008/02/what-is-going-on-when-i-start-up-my-pc.html

how many of those running processess did you try disabling on start up? And did you get a chance to run bootvis yet? It should give you a report on what's taking how long to load and all that!

[edit]
    while i'm thinking of it, something else i remembered today that i seen a few weeks back, might be useful!!

http://www.asktheadmin.com/2008/02/what-is-going-on-when-i-start-up-my-pc.html

Actually Bootvis is about the only thing mentioned here I haven't tried yet i think. I'm currently running trojanhunter, so far it's just found 1 false positive. Going to leave that finish and I'll try bootvis then. Regarding that article I have tried both autoruns and startuplist already. I disabled some of the start up entries on autoruns.

I ran bootvis selecting the Trace Menu the Next Boot + Drivers Delay option.

Then I Optimised it. It doesn't seem to have made any noticeable impact.

Ok 4 days of this is more than enough. I give up. :( New Hard drive time when I come back from Ireland.

ok one last shot. Here are 2 images of the bootvis report. I'm not sure what I should be looking for here. does anything look glaringly wrong. Note the end of the report is at +276.

the first one is the inital phase
    bootvis.jpg

the second one is the end of the report

bootvis2.jpg

• Advertisement

do you have the full screenshots? those are a bit small to read! in any case, while a full reinstall will fix this, you can always attempt a windows repair before you go ahead and wipe.

out of curiosity, you said above you wiped the PC a few times before 'cos of similar issues. What make/model of PC is it? and do you always install the vendor software they bundled with it?

Advertisement