Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows startup taking ages

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

well bootvis captures a lot of info, you should be able to zoom in and double-click on the graphs doe more detailed info at a particular time in the boot process.

Reasons for asking about the PC, i've see before where bundled applications cause more or a hindrance than a help!

I'd say do a Windows repair just to see what happens, then do a reinstall!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

well bootvis captures a lot of info, you should be able to zoom in and double-click on the graphs doe more detailed info at a particular time in the boot process.

Reasons for asking about the PC, i've see before where bundled applications cause more or a hindrance than a help!

I'd say do a Windows repair just to see what happens, then do a reinstall!

I'm back in Ireland until Tuesday so I can't upload another picture until I get back to Portugal.
    My Pc isn't a particular brand. It has basically been chopped and changed over the years by myself to the point where there is nothing left from the original pc I bought which even then was a pc built by parts by another individual.

I thought I was finished with this so soz but something just occured to me that might have a bearing. This morning I've been working out what components to buy to upgrade my PC. While thinking about what power supply I should get, it dawned on me that perhaps my power supply might perhaps be an issue here. It's just 450 watts I think. Could it be a possible cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

luckylucky wrote: »
    I thought I was finished with this so soz but something just occured to me that might have a bearing. This morning I've been working out what components to buy to upgrade my PC. While thinking about what power supply I should get, it dawned on me that perhaps my power supply might perhaps be an issue here. It's just 450 watts I think. Could it be a possible cause?

Do you have a decent GFX card and if so do you know the name/spec? That does seem to a fairly low power unit. There was one chap on the poker board a while ago whose PC kept crashing after awhile and that was due to the PSU.

Plan_D wrote: »
    Do you have a decent GFX card and if so do you know the name/spec?

yeah I have one of the latest AGP graphics cards. It's an AH2600PRO. Basically an ATI 2600Pro Agp version. It supports 2560x1600 resolution, that's why I bought it.
    Plan_D wrote: »
    There was one chap on the poker board a while ago whose PC kept crashing after awhile and that was due to the PSU

I believe that was me ;) My current PSU was a spare one I had with more watts that solved that problem. But perhaps it didn't have enough.

At the same time I think I have had slow boot up times even before that graphics card was ever installed, though it does seem worse than ever these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

luckylucky wrote: »
    ... Could it be a possible cause?
    No not psu problem - pc would random turn off if psu.

I had a problem like this and I used FileMon from www.sysinternals.com to see what files were being accessed.
    Turns out I had too many things in the start menu and explorer.exe was rebuilding the icons for the start menu each time - I cleared out the startmenu Readme and uninstall icons and its now much faster to boot.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

ozmo wrote: »
    No not psu problem - pc would random turn off if psu.

I had a problem like this and I used FileMon from www.sysinternals.com to see what files were being accessed.
    Turns out I had too many things in the start menu and explorer.exe was rebuilding the icons for the start menu each time - I cleared out the startmenu Readme and uninstall icons and its now much faster to boot.

Just to add... I had same problem again on another pc - using bootvis i could see it was a svhost - ie. a service that was pausing the booting for 2minutes just before explorer started. I could read the PID from bootvis and using processexplorer(sysinternals.com) could identify the process with that PID. Turned out to be a scanner that I seldom had attached. Set Service Microsoft "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" to Manual start and pc now boots xp in 40 seconds. sorted :cool:. Just thought Id log it here in case anyone else has similar problem.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement