Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy landings

2»

Comments

Landing in Lanzarote is fun. Myself and the other half were holidaying there, first time ever, and when we were landing we thought the plane was going to crash into the ocean. You could even see the reflection of the plane in the water it was that close. Apparently if you stand on a beach near the airport, you can see the pilots perfectly.

The brother was flying back from France years ago for a school-trip when the plane's flaps stopped working, or something, and the plane had to make an emergency landing. They gave everyone vouchers for flying again, but don't think I'd want to fly after that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Apparently if you stand on a beach near the airport, you can see the pilots perfectly.

You definitely can. Sea---Beach---fence---runway. I did it once..and nearly rendered my ears useless from that date on. Literally roaring directly over your head a few feet up.

Also remember flying back from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg to London to Dublin. Thinking everything was pretty much done when in Heathrow, sitting on the plane 2 hours without moving and finding out on landing that we flew with one engine and faulty landing gear in Dublin. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

sunnyjim wrote: »
    I had a bad one landing in Vienna in January.

While we were approaching, I was thinking to myself "Odd, I can see planes taking off, must have a few runways" Nothing strange, right?

So on final approach, and were passing red and white beacons, and the plane is getting quite low, I was expecting touchdown in about, oh, 15 seconds. Then 10... And then the engines ran up to what sounded like "Super-200%-megapower" (trust me on that word, I'm a scientist :cool:), and we shot back upwards at what felt like vertical.

Pilot comes on to announce that there was a communications failure between the ground and the plane, or something like that.

**** me!

My girlfriend didn't notice a thing though!

Had a similar experience a few years ago on a flight from Taipei to Seattle, it was a redeye and it was early morning. Almost everyone was asleep after such a long flight but I was looking out the window expecting the touchdown in a few seconds when we shot right up again. Circled around and landed. Nothing was said but I asked one of the FA's and she said the pilot noticed a small aircraft on the runway where we were supposed to land.

That St Maatens airport reminds me of LaGuardia in NY, when the plane is descending, you think you're going to land on the water as you dont see any land. Just water then all of a sudden you touchdown.

Advertisement