Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Big Kick Off

• 03-03-2008 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the eL close season is finally at an end with the new term kicking off this weekend. Both divisions are looking quite close, with Drogs, Cork City, SPA, Bohs, and Derry all looking strong, and the 1st division looks like it could be very competitive with Shels having strengthened, Dundalk, Waterford and Longford all looking decent. There will also the be unknown quantity in Sporting Frigall. Its made all the more exciting all round given that 3 will be relegated and one promoted.

For my own club, Cork City, times are certainly looking exciting. A new manager in place who will try and rid his name of a hoofballer in his first foray into professional management, a very strong squad boasting 3 full Irish internationals, new signings which include last years top scorer in the league Dave Mooney, and the returns of league winners Danny Murphy and more importantly George O Callaghan. Its hard to predict exactly what will happen, but anything less than a top 2 finish will see Matthews out of the job.

Other predictions

Drogs to win the league
    Cork City to win the Cup
    Derry to retain the league cup again as no one else is interested in it.

Cobh, Bray and Galway to be relegated.
    Dundalk to get promoted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I really can't see Longford doing much in the First tbh.

It's great though, the first game of the season in Tolka, Shels v Dundalk is already a six-pointer. :)

Shels are looking good, and didn't loose a game in pre-season with draws against four Premier sides. Including Cork City with all their internationals!

To say we have strenghtened is a bit of a misnomer too, we have a completely new squad. I think there are only four players left from last season, or something like that.

We have better players in all areas, and WILL challenge.

Dundalk have bottled it the last few years, hopefully they do that again.

Premier is looking good imo. Derry will falter early on I feel, and Bohs will probably be there, or there abouts for a long time, but will ultimately finish third or fourth.

Definitely between Drogs and SPA, with Cork a small distance behind.

Who's looking like going down? Harps/Galway?

Oh, by the way, Extratime.ie is up and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

We wont do much in the first this year. Have an average squad but we have a lot of locals for a change and some promising younger players. A midtable finish is all I can see and tbh will be happy enough with that. The club is being run a hell of a lot better these days at long last. Hopefully with financial sense and stability the club can begin rebuilding over the coming season(s)

The team is training back in Longford now at long last.

Shels have a great squad assembled along with Dundalk and Kildare have a few handy players, Waterford as well should do well.

I can't wait for it all to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Really can't wait for Friday. Having gone unbeaten in preseason (Shels), aswell as having such quality players at our disposal, can't really help but be excited for the season to come. I think Dundalk will flap it again and we'll come away with the title.

Drogs for the Premier, Cork second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Drogheda to win the Premier, just. Their strikers will do it for them i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

We have possibly the geatest EL squad ever from defence to midfield but lack a striker, we only have 2 and if they get injured or go off form we are screwed.

Hope for a 2nd place or higher finish and get out of the group in the SSC, and to score an away goal in europe.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    lack a striker...away goal in europe.
    I sense a problem in the force. :)

Yeah, on the Europe side of things, be good to see at least one of the teams give it a decent shot this season.

I'm going to try to get around the PD grounds in Dublin this year, when we are playing in the arsehole of nowhere on a Friday evening, and down to see Sporting Fingal a few times too in Santry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

firstly, The BIG League ;)

1. Shelbourne
    1. Dundalk
    1. Sporting Franchise
    1. Waterford United
    5. Limerick 37
    6. Monaghan United
    7. Longford Town
    8. Athlone Town
    9. Kildare County
    10. Wexford Youths

i'm not going to bother calling it because i genuinely think there are 4 teams with little between them and have the ability to win the yoke, it should be exciting! at this moment i think Shels and Dundalk would be considered favourites with the Franchise and Waterford just behind them. Franchise really are the unknown quantities with a brand new squad that looks very solid on paper and practically unlimited funds to buy those 3/4 Premier division quality players they can afford in the July window to bring them to the level of Shels and Dundalk. If they remain in touch of the leaders by the July window I could see them having a really good chance :( Shels have had a great pre-season but i still think there are a few weak links in Keely's 1st choice starting XI and Philly Hughes who i was hoping may score 15-20 goals this season.... is still fat :confused: i'd expect a title challenge anyway with signings of the caliber of Brennan, McGill, Keddy, Delaney, Rutherford, O'Halloran. The other teams apart from Limerick 37 should be a comfortable 12 points for the top 4.

Premier

1. Drogheda United
    2. St. Pats
    3. Bohs
    4. Cork City
    5. Derry City
    6. Sligo Rovers
    7. Shamrock Rovers
    8. Bray Wanderers
    8. Galway United
    8. Finn Harps
    8. UCD
    12. Cobh Ramblers

should be another boring stroll for Drogheda, i think they'll win it by 10-15 points. Pats only look marginally improved, Bohs and Cork looked sh!te in their friendlies against Shels so i think the exciting race will be who will get sacked first, Fenlon or Mathews? :)
    more interestingly 3 teams are going down this season so it's going to be dog eat dog. Cobh are certainties, UCD are going to have a tough time but i did see them in a pre-season friendly and honestly they impressed me more than Bohs and Cork! They have good young players and a good manager so i wouldn't write them off.... yet. I think the last spot could be between Bray, Galway and Harps. Galway and Harps are full time so that's a big advantage over Bray but Galway have a dodgy manager who has made risky signings and Harps are going to have it tough either way only coming up. Bray have signed well but i wouldnt rate Gormley as a manager like Cousins so i think they'll be down there.

looking forward to it, better than that other league across the water for sure :)

Franchise really are the unknown quantities with a brand new squad that looks very solid on paper and practically unlimited funds to buy those 3/4 Premier division quality players they can afford in the July window to bring them to the level of Shels and Dundalk

Bucko is a damn good manager, plays attacking football unlike some.
    looking forward to it, better than that other league across the water for sure :)

lol

kdjac

I don't think Cobh will go down. I think they will surprise everyone.

DesF wrote: »

oh they got enough sponsorship to be running this season.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only 4 more days, can't bloody wait.

1st Shels
    2nd Dundalk
    3rd Waterford
    4th Sporting Feck All

1st Drogs
    2nd Cork
    3rd Pats
    4th Bohs

For anyone interested, the EL preview supplement is in this Saturdays Mirror.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Very nice. Bookmarked.

All I can say is roll on Friday night! What a way to start the season!

oh they got enough sponsorship to be running this season.
    Nothing to do with money why it didn't run last season.

The owner had some very hard personal difficulties, and I know for a fact that that Racecaller ad is the only one raising funds for the site, plus the google ad banners.

pull out in todays star.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

DSB wrote: »
    I don't think Cobh will go down. I think they will surprise everyone.

i was talking to their manager over the weekend and he said they're aiming to finish fifth, and how the looked at rovers when they came back up, and how they did well with pretty much the same squad of players from the first divison, and that's what they'll be aiming to do.

i think they'll stay up alright. they have a very good work ethic and some quality players (davin o'neill is superb, and kieran o'reilly WILL score goals)

as for the race for the title, i have a feeling in me waters that Cork City will do it, although it will be hard with all the dublin based teams, particularly drogheda and bohs, looking strong.

it's certainly shaping up to be the most exciting league race in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Roar wrote: »
    although it will be hard with all the dublin based teams, particularly drogheda and bohs, looking strong.

that won't go down well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hopefully I'll be getting to Drogheda on Saturday for the match.

If not, I'll be at the first home match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dundalk have bottled it the last few years, hopefully they do that again.
    Bottled it the last few years me arse! How dare you cast such a slur on such a fine club.

We bottled it, the season just gone and thats about it. Season before, we came 2nd to what has proven to be a very decent Rovers side. In previous years we didn't even manage to challenge as we were pants.

Pighead wrote: »
    Bottled it the last few years me arse! How dare you cast such a slur on such a fine club.

We bottled it, the season just gone and thats about it. Season before, we came 2nd to what has proven to be a very decent Rovers side. In previous years we didn't even manage to challenge as we were pants.
    Actually, yeah.

Last year.

I paid no attention to the division before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

firstly, The BIG League ;)

:( Shels have had a great pre-season but i still think there are a few weak links in Keely's 1st choice starting XI and Philly Hughes who i was hoping may score 15-20 goals this season.... is still fat :confused:

I can still see Philly banging in a hatful of goals this year. He was p1ss poor last year but the season before he was top drawer..

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    I can still see Philly banging in a hatful of goals this year. He was p1ss poor last year but the season before he was top drawer..
    Been to any of the pre-season matches?

Philly looks like he has a good touch, he hasn't lost that part of his game, but he is just very, very unfit. I'd be surprised if he was first choice from the off, or if he is, then Dermo will quickly tire of him.

I agree that he could be decent, and on the season before last's showing I'd have no hesitation about sticking him in, but he needs to get fit first.

imo.

I agree that he could be decent, and on the season before last's showing I'd have no hesitation about sticking him in, but he needs to get fit first.

imo.
    Can't see that happening anytime soon. The lads just not interested. As Des says he's got great touch but his mindboggling the way he refuses to shed them pounds.

As Des says he's got great touch but his mindboggling the way he refuses to shed them pounds.
    Mindboggling for sure.

I seriously believe he has the footballing talent to be playing for one of the top PD clubs, but he's a waster.

pull out in todays star.

kdjac

Got it. Was surprised how big it was, plenty of good reading in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

I think his performance last season is enough evidence to show that he is a pointless signing and a waste of money. At this rate, you're better off dropping the second 'h' and the 's' from his surname.

raheny red wrote: »
    I think his performance last season is enough evidence to show that he is a pointless signing and a waste of money.

See, I don't know about that tbh.

You know the way Dermo does spend nearly the whole game ranting at Flood to keep him on his toes?

I reckon if he does that to Philly in training, then we could have a mean, lean goal scoring machine on our hands.

Or not.
    raheny red wrote: »
    At this rate, you're better off dropping the second 'h' and the 's' from his surname.
    I spent too long trying to work that out. :o

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Got it. Was surprised how big it was, plenty of good reading in it.
    rofl.

They say Longford are the ones going to push Dundalk for promotion :eek:

They say Shels' "One to watch" is Philly. :D

rofl.

And they weren't even arsed getting our crest.:rolleyes:

rofl.

They only said Longford to keep Shels off the radar and then BANG, we're back.

As for Hughes, you never know. FM never lies and he's been a saviour for me in that more than once!

• Advertisement

you have 5 of our ex players and we have 5 of yours....spooky :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelbourne_F.C.#Current_First_Team_Squad

lol notable ex players, guess Haverty was decent for you after all in with geoghan and sheridan ;)

kdjac

lol notable ex players, guess Haverty was decent for you after all in with geoghan and sheridan ;)
    Oh, I wonder who put that there? :p

ffs, he's shíte. Not gonna make it. Too lightweight for a defender tbh.

rofl.

Did they not tip Waterford somewhere in it? With Dundalk and Shels to be close behind?

MrJoeSoap wrote: »

As for Hughes, you never know. FM never lies and he's been a saviour for me in that more than once!

He played well up in Donegal for the two friendlies there a couple of week-ends ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

rofl.

Can't see anything wrong with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He played well up in Donegal for the two friendlies there a couple of week-ends ago.

He played well,yes.

But did he threathen in front of goal? No.

He can hold the ball up decent enough but my god he is so slow it's unreal. Just last Friday night a ball was played over the top and he must of had a 3 or 4 yard start on McGuinness.
    Hughes didn't even get to the ball before Mcguinness was there. He really needs to lose the weight.

Anyways, for the leagues, these are my predictions.

Premier Division Winners: Drogheda
    Runners Up: Derry
    Third Place: Boh's
    FAI Cup: Cork
    League Cup: Shels:p

First Division Winners: Shels
    Runners Up: Waterford
    Third Place: Dundalk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

It will be an interesting season, thats for sure.

The top half of the league all strengthned on last season. Drogs will be favourites, but Cork, Rovers and Bohs (until their fans turn on the Rovers supporting midget in charge) all seem to have signed well and Derry will never be far from the fray. Pats could challenge, but I said that last season too. Rovers will improve on fifth but not win it.

Cobh will stay up, a well organised club living within their means. Sligo will be the whipping boys this year.

The first should be a decent race. Dundalk signing the Rovers team that won the division, Fingal seem to have a decent squad and if Shels survive the year they will compete.

Premier
    Drogs

Cup
    Cork

League Cup
    Rovers

Relegated
    Sligo and UCD

1st
    Shels
    Promoted
    Fingal

Relegated
    Sligo and UCD

1st
    Shels
    Promoted
    Fingal

Three teams go down this year mate and only one goes up.
    No play offs or anything.

if Shels survive the year they will compete.
    No reason why we won't survive this year at all.

We aren't taking any drip-drip from the builders this year, and on a wage budget of 7.5k, plus the Fred Davis initiative, we won't be going outside that.
    1st
    Shels
    Promoted
    Fingal
    :confused::confused:
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Three teams go down this year mate and only one goes up.
    No play offs or anything.
    Back to the ten team Premier. Horrible tbh.

No reason why we won't survive this year at all.

We aren't taking any drip-drip from the builders this year, and on a wage budget of 7.5k, plus the Fred Davis initiative, we won't be going outside that..

Whats the Fred Davis inititiave? I have given up on shelsweb.

Agreed. Giving the Bozo's two huge gates per year grates with me.

Promoted one of Shels, Fingal and hopefully not Dundalk. Although they will be strong this year with a hooped spine.

Relegated, Bray, UCD and Sligo. Galway to hang on and Cobh to suprise a few people.

Predictions:

Premier:
    1st Cork City
    2nd Drogheda

Relegated:
    UCD
    Finn Harps
    Galway

1st:
    Dundalk
    Waterford

2009 Season
    Premier
    1st Dundalk
    2nd Drogheda

• Advertisement

Yeah, it is but it does make the league fairer so teams don't have the advantages of playing certain teams at home twice. Isn't good either way tbh.

Shels really have to get out of the First Division this year, it will be very difficult next year with three Premier teams coming down.

SantryRed wrote: »

Shels really have to get out of the First Division this year, it will be very difficult next year with three Premier teams coming down.
    Not necessarily. The teams that get relegated tend to lose the majority of their decent players and have to rebuild almost from scratch. Sometimes the teams already in the division are better equipped for the battle.

Look at Longford this season. Will be very surprised if they challenge for promotion this season.

Longford had financial problems before going down though.

DSB wrote: »
    Longford had financial problems before going down though.
    I'm pretty sure Mooney Baker, Ryan, Duffy Brennan etc would have been on their bike reagrdless of financial issues. And I'd say Matthews wouldn't have turned down Cork either.

Sometimes the teams already in the division are better equipped for the battle.
    Like Dundalk?

The bottlers.

I'm pretty sure Mooney Baker, Ryan, Duffy Brennan etc would have been on their bike reagrdless of financial issues. And I'd say Matthews wouldn't have turned down Cork either.

They wouldn't have gone down if it wasn't for the financial difficulties though.
    The team was good enough to stay in the league.

They would of come 7th without the 6 point decuction.

2009 Season
    Premier
    1st Dundalk
    2nd Drogheda

Now that is hilarious.

Like Dundalk?

The bottlers.

Thats harsh. They arent bottlers, they are just sh*te.

Thats harsh. They arent bottlers, they are just sh*te.
    Sh*te they are alright. Fortunately we're less sh*te than all the other teams in the 1st Division which means that Dundalk Fc will be in the Premier next season. Ah yes, thanks for the memories 1st Division but its time the lilywhites moved on up.

Sh*te they are alright. Fortunately we're less sh*te than all the other teams in the 1st Division which means that Dundalk Fc will be in the Premier next season. Ah yes, thanks for the memories 1st Division but its time the lilywhites moved on up.

To be honest I think a lot of people are underestimating Shels for going up this season. Suits us fine though as it should mean a lot of people will be focusing on Dundalk and Waterfords form instead of us.

Well at the start of the season anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement