Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on bumper paint

Options
  • 03-03-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi I've just bought myself a new(second hand-but new to me) car. The bumpers are colour coded but the front one is chipped in the centre and the black underneath is showing. its about 2 inches diameter and looks awful. I'd love to fix this but I need to do it on a really tight budget-like for free. Any advice would be much appreciated as I dont even know where to start.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Use touchup paint - never done it myself, must do it soon but it looks quite simple. Do a search on youtube for tutorials. This for example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_DM1W0AZg

Edit - what! 2 inches in diameter, what kind of roads do you travel on - I don't know if that would require a whole spray to get it looking right.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I just bought it on Friday so have no idea how it got so bad. Prob cost loads to get it sprayed as well but I'd say its a bit big for the touchup stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well you'll prob have to get it sprayed then. Clearly it wasn't painted correctly to begin with if the paint is just falling off like that.
    If you took to bumper off yourself and bring it somewhere to get it sprayed, i'm sure you'd do it for under €100. A excellent local panel beater by me, would spray paint the front of a whole car for just 250 euro including fixing damages. You'd be surprised if you shopped around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would have said €250 to paint it. Had both my rear bumpers done (2 cars) in the past few years.
    Have it in with the spray painter now getting a few door dents/scrapes being taken care of. The damage is barely noticable but I like it to be perfect. The spray painter probably thinks I'm crazy but I don't care anymore!!
    The touch up paint can work out well. Halfords do a very good range of touch up brushes, very fine bristled which allows greater accuracy. It also has a pen end too.

Advertisement