Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trance DJs

• 03-03-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anybody know of any good clubs with good Trance DJs around Dublin??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

Sorry but...Does that still exist?:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elambra

The trance scene is and has beed dead in Dublin for years, thanks to the amound of drugs young people in Ireland take, It is seen as a 'must' to take yokes at a trance event in Dublin and because of that, any trance even in Dublin was filled to the rafters with 16-18 year old yoke heads.

From Living in the UK and Germany, you notice this because the average age in the UK and German trance clubs is mid-20's, whereas your looking at 19 in Dublin clubs.

Not that there are many trance events left in London either, what with Turnmills closing and all that..

at least the scene is still alive in Germany / Netherlands and Ibiza.. just means fans have to jump on a plane but at least the crowds are better in those places..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

theres the odd one off event here and there but as said theyre full of scumbags off there heads.theres was a big planet love event recently.i remember going to a godskitchen event in the point a few years back.if a bomb was dropped on the point that night it would of been a good thing.full of knackers all out of it, blowing whistles in fluffy boots and all that crap (what is it with irish people blowing whistles at gigs) the vaults/tivoli/tripod have some big djs in now and again.armin van buuren is in tripod in april.as for the crowd that go to them events thats another story....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

df1985 wrote: »
    theres the odd one off event here and there but as said theyre full of scumbags off there heads.theres was a big planet love event recently.i remember going to a godskitchen event in the point a few years back.if a bomb was dropped on the point that night it would of been a good thing.full of knackers all out of it, blowing whistles in fluffy boots and all that crap (what is it with irish people blowing whistles at gigs) the vaults/tivoli/tripod have some big djs in now and again.armin van buuren is in tripod in april.as for the crowd that go to them events thats another story....

Jesus ya wat is it with these kids nowadays. Furry luminous boots and knickers for skirts.I went to hi fi few years ago and it was just a total knack fest. We just don't bother going out much anymore cause its usually more hasle than its worth. One of the great things about the temple theatre and even the likes of homelands up to 7 8 years ago was meeting like minded;)people on the same level and having great chats on absoultly nothing.
    Sorry for the rant. probably just getting old. going to see ferry corsten in portrush over paddys weekend. probably am too old!!

ahh sure were all getting old, I can't even tell some of my mates that I still listen to trance and go to the odd event (Above&Beyond internet radio show every week for the last 2.5 years!)

had a bit of an old school time in Ibiza (1st time there last sept) where I saw Ferry and PVD one after the other, it brought back memories :D

My English mates went to that Global Gathering in the UK and apparently everyone was mid-late 20's, why not head over there, tickets are prob cheaper and the crowd is way more international

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Yeah the Trance scene in Ireland at home is dead. But I don't think that pill head kids should stop people going to gigs. I'm 23 and loved Trance when it was big - mid-late 90's. I still listen to trance music from back then. There were so many quality trance tunes.
    I'm in Sydney now and have been to a few clubs where trance was played. The crowd was all mid 20's and were all of the same mind set as me. Were there for the music and met some great people who appreciated the music.
    What I can't stand these days is the way trance is almost taboo in dance music. It's really looked down on.

Trance Music when it was big was better produced, better to dance to, less repetitive and mor bangin of any of the crappy electro/progressive stuff that seems to be prevelant these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I was big into trance late 90's - 2005. I still listen to the old classics and the Euphoria CD's. It's a shame the trance scene in Ireland is gone. If it wasn't for 18 yr olds mad out of it, it would be a great scene still.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

stephen p wrote: »
    If it wasn't for 18 yr olds mad out of it, it would be a great scene still.

I remember when I was an 18 year old and mad out of it we used to be amazed at older people being out off their heads and wondered would we still be doing it then - that's 13 years ago now. I'm sure the 18 year old mad out of it heads think the same now. :D Point being, a lot of the scene is made up of 18 year olds - you are just getting old :p

I lost interest in trance after about 1996 when the whole commercial sound became so apparent but the best trance in my opinion was the first lot that came out on Rising High, Superstition etc in the early 90's. Dark, banging and full of acid, synths, long snare rolls and eery piano breaks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 goldfish007

god i couldnt agree more with this thread. i went to uni in London for 3 years and as many of my friends over there liked the trance scene i got involved in it and really really LOVE it now. Prob is, I came back to Dublin this summer (after i graduated) and am back hanging out with my old school friends. None of my friends like trance/electro music and I often get slagged about it cuz it's seen as "lower class" or some **** like that. The Dublin crowd that are attracted to these gigs tend to be pilled off their heads and full of knackers which really pisses me off, as none of the friends want to give it a chance!!

Armin van Buuren is coming to Tripod in April which will be soooo good, but none of my friends wana go! Also Trentemoller is there the same weekend too.

I went to see Tiesto in Edinburgh last summer and it was absolutely fantastic!!!!

going off the point here, but I can't believe Turnmills is closing down! I loved that place. Apparently the Gallery is opening up somewhere new in London in April though.

Anyway its nice reading a thread like this and talking about Trance! Keep it coming :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I'm not into todays trance at all, actually in Ibiza last September i was in Amnesia @ the Armada closing nite and Armin Van Burren was headlining, i went in with an open mind and for the first like 20 mins or so of his set he played what could be described as good non cheesy hard trance/techno, but then soon after the cheesy vocals started and that was enough for me i retreated to the other room where Mr C was playing a goodTribal Techno set.

I'm into early/mid 1990's Trance like Jam & Spoon and stuff on Platipus,etc,etc come the millenium this euro trance started to get ridiculaousy cheesy, the likes of PVD,Tiesto and Armin Van Burren may be talented but the music they play is cheese pure and simple.

This is the type of trance im into (mid 1990's), amazing track this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBhAzeYXc4

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I remember when I was an 18 year old and mad out of it we used to be amazed at older people being out off their heads and wondered would we still be doing it then - that's 13 years ago now. I'm sure the 18 year old mad out of it heads think the same now. :D Point being, a lot of the scene is made up of 18 year olds - you are just getting old :p

I lost interest in trance after about 1996 when the whole commercial sound became so apparent but the best trance in my opinion was the first lot that came out on Rising High, Superstition etc in the early 90's. Dark, banging and full of acid, synths, long snare rolls and eery piano breaks :eek:

You are associating Trance music with pills. There are many people (including me) who still listen to trance and don't do drugs anymore. Even when I did, it was only because my mates were donig it, I was actually there for the music but the lads never saw the point in staying at the club unless they got pills, at which stage after a few beers I'd eventually cave in and regret it the next day every time.

the conciousness of people in Ireland is that they still think what the Irish media said about dance music way back in 1992 (in the biggest oirish accent) "raave music and extacy tablets come hand in hand". Of course you don't need to do drugs to enjoy energetic dance music. Most people outside Ireland know this.
    Its one of the backwards things about this country that irritates me. Snobby music heads who'd listen to Kings of Leon and White Stripes just because they were fashionable ('omg loike, did u listen to the new kings of leon CD, loike excellent'), who then say 'oh, that rave music is ****e you must be a druggy if you listen to that'. B*llocks :)

And another thing to add to my rant... people here are saying that the best era of trance was either the pre 1997 stuff or the 1997-1999 stuff (I'd consider 1997 a turning point in trance music from underground to commercial, just my opinion. Granted, the feshness and originality of that era cannot be replicated, and I would consider 2000-2004 a bad time for trance music, but have any of you any opinions on the stuff that's been coming out since circa. 2004? what about Anjunabeats? I see them (the Above and Beyond guys Jono, Pavo and Tony) and revolutionary and evolutionary with regards to the music they make and promote through their label. Truly shivering epic dreamy yet euphoric trance... it is still well and truley alive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I got into DJing around 2000 and stayed with it for 6 years so during those years I bought a lot of commercial dance stuff. Pre 1998 stuff is really really good, I agree with elambra 1997/1998 was a turning point for trance and a lot of the commercial trance classics come from that era (System F, Binary Finary, Gouryella etc...). I've nothing against 18 yr olds going to trance events/clubs but I do have a problem with drug taking. I know over 18's take drugs too, but what can ye do...??

elambra wrote: »
    You are associating Trance music with pills. There are many people (including me) who still listen to trance and don't do drugs anymore. Even when I did, it was only because my mates were donig it, I was actually there for the music but the lads never saw the point in staying at the club unless they got pills, at which stage after a few beers I'd eventually cave in and regret it the next day every time.

the conciousness of people in Ireland is that they still think what the Irish media said about dance music way back in 1992 (in the biggest oirish accent) "raave music and extacy tablets come hand in hand". Of course you don't need to do drugs to enjoy energetic dance music. Most people outside Ireland know this.
    Its one of the backwards things about this country that irritates me. Snobby music heads who'd listen to Kings of Leon and White Stripes just because they were fashionable ('omg loike, did u listen to the new kings of leon CD, loike excellent'), who then say 'oh, that rave music is ****e you must be a druggy if you listen to that'. B*llocks :)

And another thing to add to my rant... people here are saying that the best era of trance was either the pre 1997 stuff or the 1997-1999 stuff (I'd consider 1997 a turning point in trance music from underground to commercial, just my opinion. Granted, the feshness and originality of that era cannot be replicated, and I would consider 2000-2004 a bad time for trance music, but have any of you any opinions on the stuff that's been coming out since circa. 2004? what about Anjunabeats? I see them (the Above and Beyond guys Jono, Pavo and Tony) and revolutionary and evolutionary with regards to the music they make and promote through their label. Truly shivering epic dreamy yet euphoric trance... it is still well and truley alive :D

Of course I associate trance with pills, my experience of trance, techno etc in the early 90's was that pills went hand-in-hand with the majority going clubbing. Granted some people didn't but they were the exception. Maybe that changed in more recent years but it was certainly the case anywhere I went till I hung up my pumas :) I still listen to all varieties of electronic music to include trance but never touch pills anymore... mainly because of work, family etc, no longer an option!

No, you don't need drugs or pills to enjoy dance music but a large percentage do use them, or certainly did as noted above. The reason why that was big in the media back in '92 as you suggest is because it was the case, not just in Ireland but anywhere that people went to 'raves'.
    I have no idea what you are talking about re Kings Of Leon as I don't know anyone in to them!

When I think of trance of more recent years I just think of Tiesto up on a pedestal (right or wrong, this is my image) playing some euphoric sh*te with everyone dancing in straight rows all looking up at him (insert puke smilie, again, subjective and IMO etc!). It used to be about the music and not the superstar DJ (hey boy, hey girl), in clubs you sometimes wouldn't even notice where the DJ was, let alone stand facing him like he was some God! This is what I mean about the whole commercial turning point, it became all shiny and nice...

tiesto3thumb.jpg

I can't comment on more recent trance but maybe I could be pleasantly surprised if I give it a shot. In fact, I will give it a shot... recommend a starting point so that I can form my own opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

The simple facts of the matter is that Dance music and drugs namely Ecstasy go hand in hand, sure you don't need them to enjoy the music and there are a small few people who've never taklen them and fair play but the majority do and it's not just Trance eitgher,all genres.

Fair enough Felix I was 12 in 1992 and the only rave I got into was the Prodigy in the Tivoli in '92 (now HOW did I get in I don't know), altough I did start going to the raves in the point in 1995 (I tihnk!?) to Dance Nation etc. where I did assume 95% were on pills, but thinking about it lately I don't reckon that many were, maybe about 60-70% but thats still the majority :)

I'm just saying that the media would still think that all dance music fans take drugs when in fact nowadays a massive amount of them would be anti-drugs (sure feck all of the DJ's or producers do nowadays they are all too busy working!), and consequently alot of people in Ireland would assume your a pill head if they saw you were listening to trance on your ipod..

Tiesto etc. is not my scene but yea it's a bit of a joke when they are glorified like that, I mean come on, stadium tours?!

ok a starting point from me would be to check out the weekly Trance Around The World (TATW) internet radio show by Above and Beyond on www.anjunabeats.com and check out the forums on the website too, it's a thriving forum of global trance fans (trance has a big following these days in Canada and USA amongst others). I usually download the show onto my ipod and take it jogging, I must look like a tit with my hands in the air running but I dont care haha

let me know what you think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

elambra wrote: »

couldnt agree more, i have first hand experience of this everyday with my mates.im not necessarily the biggest trance fan but i do love dance and electronic music.as a result im constantly slagged with drug references.dont get me wrong, im no saint, but they go on as if im on drugs every weekend of the year even when they know im not. indie is the "in" thing at the minute.i think radio stations have a lot to answer for in this regard.people will naturally get to like whatever is mainstream and constantly on the radio etc."oh its on the radio it must be good and really popular so ill give it a chance" irish peoples perception of dance music is tarnished by that cheesy knacker rubbish e.g cascada and that bloody basshunter song.when they think of dance music they of that crap and want nothin to do with it.
    i spent last summer in boston, and was went to see paul van dyk while over there.i dragged my mate along whos the biggest indie head of all time.it was a amazing night, and he couldnt believe how much he enjoyed it. but once the rest startin slaggin him, his tune changed to "it was ****e, worst night ever" GETS ON MY TITS!!!

df1985 wrote: »
    .i think radio stations have a lot to answer for in this regard.people will naturally get to like whatever is mainstream and constantly on the radio etc."oh its on the radio it must be good and really popular so ill give it a chance" irish peoples perception of dance music is tarnished by that cheesy knacker rubbish e.g cascada and that bloody basshunter song.when they think of dance music they of that crap and want nothin to do with it.

totally agree with this. people who arent really in the know(not saying that i am btw) think that basshunter sh*te is dance music. are they having a laugh. take me back to the days of the age of love or that papua new guinea tune. must dig it out. I love trance but am finding it harder and harder to find good stuff. again could be an age thing being bacically that i dont have a clue any more as i am so far removed from the scene nowadays. Tbh the kids with the furry boots and off their heads are a factor for us on not going out alot anymore. I know it shouldn't bother us but it does.My bf is a real friendly person and will talk the head off anyone so u can imagine uti he is 10 times worse but its not like the old days(sad but i am but i'm not just being nostalgic) when pills were good and mol pure mdma when everyone was on a totally happy buzz.Havn't really have a good night out since we were in oz 7 or 8 years ago and would love one. Have to agree on the dj worship thingy. there was a time back in 90's when we used to go to sir henrys in cork and who remembers who the dj was but the music was cracking. (maybe that is being nostalgic though:rolleyes:) having saying that i do like tiesto. adagio for strings and suburban train are classics. music to close ur eyes to and feel the sunshine in the depts of winter and wishing i was back in melbourne again.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Gijoe

Man I'm glad that there are finally people who think the same as me. I reckon 1993 - 2000 was probably the best dance era. Tunes like Stella, Xpander (legend), For An Angel, Cream, Seven Cities etc. are still constantly on my playlists at work. It's a pity that Trance doesn't get the appreciation it deserves and it's a pity that more quality trance tunes come out anymore. I reckon it would be a good idea to have like a 1990 - 1999 trance night somewhere if it hasn't already been done before. When I get back home a few mates are having a night like it in our local. We did a few Old Skool nights before and they were full and deadly.
    Anyway, best trance tunes would be a good thread if its not already yup (which it probably is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭RastaRed

I started off back in the olympic, ormond, sides, the early raves that were on at the p*int, temple theatre and been to see Picotto, PVD and Ferry Corsten. I've done my fare share of drugs(not any more, have family now) but I still listen to the old skool trance all the time, still makes me feel good even without the yokes, most dance music out today is pretty poor to be honest. Less of the Kings of Leon bashing too, they're the best band around at the moment and before you say anything I've been a fan since day one not like the jump on the bandwagon knobs that elambra was describing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The Tripod last night, seemingly it was hosting some decent tech trance. Good music imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭turks

:eek:Print_Master_web.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

turks wrote: »
    :eek:Print_Master_web.jpg

I know your man Daranoid. I'm going to mill him with eggs before and after this ;)

deemy wrote: »
    Jesus ya wat is it with these kids nowadays. Furry luminous boots and knickers for skirts.I went to hi fi few years ago and it was just a total knack fest. We just don't bother going out much anymore cause its usually more hasle than its worth. One of the great things about the temple theatre and even the likes of homelands up to 7 8 years ago was meeting like minded;)people on the same level and having great chats on absoultly nothing.
    Sorry for the rant. probably just getting old. going to see ferry corsten in portrush over paddys weekend. probably am too old!!

Wasn't too old :D an hr or 2 of a warm up dj and 3 hours of Ferry and I could still walk the 2k walk back to the hotel . On the dance floor not a furry boot in sight :eek:. I would recommend to anyone who wants a good night out wearing jeans and trainers and where people are sooo nice. no agro whatsoever, Lush is the place to be even if it was a 7 hr drive there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ashleyholmes

Lektrik also known as the Tivoli on Francis Str Dublin 8 has good trance nights for instance Markus Schulz is playing this weekend. Its just a pity that i haven't had the opportunity to play there myself. As i am a trance Dj. I'm trying my best to get into clubs here. Do you know anyone that could help?

ashleyholmes@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Felixdhc wrote: »
    When I think of trance of more recent years I just think of Tiesto up on a pedestal (right or wrong, this is my image) playing some euphoric sh*te with everyone dancing in straight rows all looking up at him (insert puke smilie, again, subjective and IMO etc!). It used to be about the music and not the superstar DJ (hey boy, hey girl), in clubs you sometimes wouldn't even notice where the DJ was, let alone stand facing him like he was some God! This is what I mean about the whole commercial turning point, it became all shiny and nice...
    Stop the DJ worship!

But anyway, if you're into psytrance, that scene is growing and most certainly alive these days. Neutronyx (promoters of Life Festival) are the main organisers of psytrance parties, but other promoters are starting to emerge too. I love psytrance nights out because the music's great, they often have jugglers and street artists performing, they're full of interesting people and free of scumbags.

I don't know if much of an old skool/non commercial trance scene exists, but music moves with the time I guess. While there mightn't be much of a trance scene, there's a nice electro scene emerging, which I like a lot (except for the fact that it often gets mixed with nu-rave/indie nights, which means a lot of posers/people without much interest in the music).

As for drugs, I don't see why one would have a problem with it tbh. It enhances the experience IMO, and doesn't really take from anyone elses night (scumbags on pills can be annoying, but that's due to them being scumbags rather than them being on drugs). The majority of the times I go out I'm not on pills, since I reckon they're better enjoyed when done occasionally, and people being on them doesn't bother me, I mean, why would it?

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Stop the DJ worship!

But anyway, if you're into psytrance, that scene is growing and most certainly alive these days. Neutronyx (promoters of Life Festival) are the main organisers of psytrance parties, but other promoters are starting to emerge too. I love psytrance nights out because the music's great, they often have jugglers and street artists performing, they're full of interesting people and free of scumbags.

I don't know if much of an old skool/non commercial trance scene exists, but music moves with the time I guess. While there mightn't be much of a trance scene, there's a nice electro scene emerging, which I like a lot (except for the fact that it often gets mixed with nu-rave/indie nights, which means a lot of posers/people without much interest in the music).

As for drugs, I don't see why one would have a problem with it tbh. It enhances the experience IMO, and doesn't really take from anyone elses night (scumbags on pills can be annoying, but that's due to them being scumbags rather than them being on drugs). The majority of the times I go out I'm not on pills, since I reckon they're better enjoyed when done occasionally, and people being on them doesn't bother me, I mean, why would it?

lol re the link, saw that before alright!

I have always had a soft spot for psytrance - it warped my head even more than what the trance had already done :D I wouldn't have a clue where it's at though these days. The likes of Hallucinogen (and also as Shpongle), Eat Static and lots more of the Planet Dub stuff was excellent. Just listening again now to 'Sirius Sounds' by Children of the Bong which is a spectacular album... labeled more though as Dub or Psy-Dub!

http://www.discogs.com/release/146622

I'm a little lost when 'electro' is mentioned these days too. I tend to think of Model 500, Mantronix, Drexciya etc and some of what Dave Clarke was playing a few years ago but again wouldn't know much on current electro or who is playing it these days. Any suggestions/recommendations?

As for drugs, they are for mugs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SebastienX

electro is pretty popular these days alright. lektroluv, boys noize, MSTRKRFT are all popular ones.
    Although dublin doesnt really have that big a dance music scene. The clubs overprice the tickets by loads when there is a good night but the club is filled anyway so why shouldnt they i suppose.:mad:

in relation to drugs in clubs, it doesnt bother me either. Im more annoyed by the rowdy drunks falling all over the place and messing around. In Holland and stuff, in some of the clubs ive been in, id say 50% of people are on pills and it hasnt bothered me at all and im not big into pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Electro to me would mean stuff like the following:

Cocotte - Teenage Bad Girl

Yeah Yeah - BodyRox

Felix Cartal
    Deadbots (Irish group, really good!)

There's a lot of more commercial electro out there too, such as Justice (with that horrific "D.A.N.C.E." song), which I don't like at all.

As a matter of interest, is your username supposed to be short for Felix Da Housecat? Because he's supposed to have been very influential in the electro house scene.

As for modern psytrance, I'm liking stuff by Ocelot, Vibrasphere, Hilight Tribe and more I can't think of right now.

Ocelot:

Vibrasphere:

Hilight Tribe:

lol, long post

Yeah good stuff alright in those examples above, especially like the Ocelot tune - definitely a modern twist on older goa trance etc. The electro I like too but wouldn't be blown away by it.

You should check out some of the older stuff too if you don't already know it. Especially the likes of Eat Static (Lost In Time is an absolute favourite of mine), Man With No Name, Etnica, Technossomy, The Infinity Project etc.

Here is a selection anyway of some of the goa/psytrance tunes I loved in the 90's.

Eat Static - Lost In Time (what a fcking unbelievable tune!!! - play this loud!)

Astral Projection - Mahadeva

Etnica - Starship 101

Man With No Name - Sugar Rush

Astral Projection - Powergen

Yes I took this nick from Felix Da Housecat alright. It was actually when I first joined boards that I saw his name on an old flyer and went with it. Again, wouldn't be as familiar with his recent stuff, it was more from his old Djing days and Aphrohead etc. Although Silver Screen in relatively more recent years is a great track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Well first things first, I've been into the dance scene here in Ireland since the late late 80's and then was old enough to be involved in the dance scene here from the early 90's and have seen the changes it has gone through. I have to say that I love the old stuff and still enjoy mixing it. Some of the labels have already been mention regarding the older stuff like Rising High, React, Noon, EQ, Time Unlimited, Hook, Additive, Bellboy, Zoom, Perfecto, ZYX, Limbo, ID&T and many many more.

I see a lot of people saying that the clubs are now full of 18 year old knackers pilled off their mallets but funnily enough, nothing has changed since when I first started going clubbing because the Asylum, Sides, Olympic, Ormond, Switch, System, Groucho's, Kitchen, The Waterfront (UFO, Columbia Mills), Mansion House, Subterrania, Temple Theatre, Red box, Ambassador, Shaft, Blue Note, Tivoli, Temple Bar Music Centre, Spirit & many more places which have now gone and may they rest in peace but all these places were full of people between the ages of 17 to their 30s either in the places pilling or not which is the same now as I'm nearly 30 and when I go out, I'm seeing the same patterns so there's nothing new except for the fact that we are now the older ones.

Granted that some places these days have people in there that you may prefer were not there but everywhere always has that no matter what place it is and it doesn't have to be knackers who'll ruin a good night as I've seen plenty of pilled out of it and coked up yuppies going around thinking they're god for the night and think they can do what they want also.

Now on the point of dressing up in that flurry stuff and all that. Well people back in the day simply use to either take there tops off which isn't a bad thing because if everybody has there tops off, people won't be judging people for what they wear so quickly. Now I personally wouldn't be into dressing up in all the cyber gear (all the glowy stuff, fluffy boots and all that which originally started I believe in the UK at gigs in Sheffield when the original Gatecrasher was around and an excellent place I might add) but I don't see the problem in people making an effort to make it more entertaining. If you think back to the early days of clubbing, people have been dressing up well before now and it will continue. In the UK, they dress up a lot more than here whether it be the North of the UK or the South. There are some funky shops in Camden Town in London who specialise in that kinda gear and I remember looking at the stuff and was amazed at the prices it was going for. If people enjoy dressing up, let them as I don't see how it's gonna stop you having fun. If anything, it adds to the night.

Anyway, I still go out and find that the age of people or whether you think they're knackers or yuppies, it doesn't stop me having a good night as I go out to see a good DJ, dance, be around my friends and have a good time which is what I manage to every time I go out no matter where the venue is or who is there.

Quick thing about people immediately associating drugs with dance music. Drugs has been in music for years. Bob Marley, Ozzie Osborne, Kurt Cobain, the Doors, Brittney Spears, Pete Doherty, Beatles etc...that list is endless and doesn't matter what genre the music is, drugs is a personal choice.

Back to the main point, where can you here Trance in Dublin. Well at the moment there seems to be a big old skool uprising amongst the younger crowd who were not even around when the Old Skool era happened and there are a lot of Old Skool DJ's organising night around Dublin City centre to Blanchardstown to the opposite end being Bray

http://www.bebo.com/senanshortt
    http://www.bebo.com/XxREJUVENATIONxX
    http://www.bebo.com/Reactivedublin

Some of the names that these crowds are bringing out of retirement are absolutely fantastic and it's great to see these people still at it with a love for the music and it's an inspiration to myself and others who are from the early era.

I will agree that Trance took a nasty dip in quality a while back because it was rocking in the early to late mid 90s but I have to say that if you fish around enough now, there is Trance that is coming back and some of it is really good.

There are a lot of DJ's playing Trance in Ireland. Over the past year plenty of Trance DJ's have played here like Marcus Schossow, Sander Van Doorn, Eddie Halliwell, Marcel Woods, John O'Callaghan, John Gibbons, Marco V, Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Markus Schulz, Above and Beyond, Aly & Fila, Paul Van Dyke, Judge Jules, Scott Project, Randy Katana, Above & Beyond, Richard Durand, Pascal Feliz, Nenes, Yoji & many more but to name a few. A good few of these have been brought over by a crowd called Letrik http://www.letrik.com

A few of the above mentioned wouldn't be my cuppa tea now but they are all Trance.

Here is another crowd bringing over some big Trance names and on the Bank Holiday, they're having a massive night in Wexford with some fresh faces who are starting to become big names with their productions http://www.bebo.com/Hedliners

You can usually download a lot of these DJs radio shows but I find that most of the radio sets differ quiet a bit from what they play live in some cases.

There are lots of different promoters doing various nights all over the shop these days and as I said, there is some quality Trance productions starting to come out again now so simply keep your ears opened and you'll find what your looking for. Also have a look every now and again on ticketmasters.ie and in the clubbing section, breeze through the names and see if there's gigs that take your fancy. Your into Trance, well Paul Van Dyke is at the end of the month in Tripod for starters.

Where ever you end up going, hope you have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Good post above +1. Slightly off topic, but whenever people mention clubs that have closed, people seem to forget Switch.

Switch now added there for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭thebookofbob

MuppetJockey.. that's a cracking post.. I was searching for just that info as myself and another producer are trying to put something together here but finding difficulty in finding outlets for our music so I've decided to go out on a recon mission to see what nights are going, what sort of stuff is being played.. is it harder edged , techier stuff,..who's playing it etc..etc.. and then trying to produce stuff specifically for the scene here.
    I was about to give up and start doing Electro house or something but stuck to my routes!

MuppetJockey.. that's a cracking post.. I was searching for just that info as myself and another producer are trying to put something together here but finding difficulty in finding outlets for our music so I've decided to go out on a recon mission to see what nights are going, what sort of stuff is being played.. is it harder edged , techier stuff,..who's playing it etc..etc.. and then trying to produce stuff specifically for the scene here.
    I was about to give up and start doing Electro house or something but stuck to my routes!

Thanks thebookofbob. Glad it could be useful to you.

To be honest, dance wise, I find that there is a bit of everything on these days. Ireland is full of money and musicians, promoters and whoever else all want a slice of the cake too. havinga look on entertainment.ie or ticketmasters to have an idea of whats on, there you'll see who around for the next couple of months really.

What I always try to do if I'm playing is obviously please the people I am playing for but also please myself by playing what I like. If someone asks me to do a house party and then ask me to play certain stuff that just wrecks my head, I'll just say no (unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse but that hasn't happened). I'm still involved in music because I love it.

On another note, music can mean more to some than what it does for others. That's just life. People now go clubbing for a lot of different reasons. Some just to socialise, some just to score someone for the night, some just for the music, some just to have a few pints and that's where all their mates are going to, some just to get out of their head regardless of who or what is being played and then others, for all of the above mentioned.

You say that you may aswell stick to your roots but if there is other stuff there that you like, why not just add that too. Personally I wasn't into Electro House myself initially but now there is some stuff i do like. Like I said, every genre has it's good and bad. It's just a matter of finding what tickles your fancy.

The dance scene has changed so much, it's unlreal. An interesting program if you can find it to download is, Pump up the Volume. If your in your late 20's or 30's, some of the stuff in this documentry will send shivers down your spine or make you sad that things aren't like that anymore or both. If not, it's still a very good documentry to watch to learn a bit more about house music and the early dance scene.

Advertisement