Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Say what you will about Gormley but...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

stevec wrote: »
    This might be worthy of discussion in a new thread.

Absolutely! Feel free to open a new thread!

Now let's get back on topic, folks. The VRT system is discussed in great detail in the sticky. First post in the sticky has all info you need...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

grahambo wrote: »
    BMW are ok cars, there common as muck and don't look great apart from the 6 series. And thats something you drive in your mid 40's not 20's. they are also quite expensive when compared with other car manufacturers so my argument still stands

I'm talking about sports cars, cars that are fun to drive. the only thing that appeals to me from BMW is the M series cars and they are all 2000 to tax after july.

I think that sweeping generalisation has also been done to death quite recently, and doesn't have much to do with the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

grahambo wrote: »
    Oh I didnt know that, and niether does he HAHA!

are you 100% positive and I mean absolutely positive?

what would happen if I was to buy an 04 car after july? what happens then am I on the new or old system?

Under the original plan ALL imports after 1 July would be on the new emmission-based sytem

It now seems that instead its only going to be 08 onward cars imported that will be on new system

so....

....if you import a pre-08 car its on the current engine size system, if you import 08 onwards then you are on new system

NOTE: this applies to Motor Tax...I don't know about VRT for sure

eoin_s wrote: »
    I think that sweeping generalisation has also been done to death quite recently, and doesn't have much to do with the topic.

anyway the BMW was just an example. I was originally responding to a comment that "nice cars" would no longer be affordable

galwaytt wrote: »
    EDIT; JHMEG beat me to it....

actually I beat both of you to it:D

I sort of knew what the answer would be when I asked why his friend could no longer afford his car and had to sell:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Riskymove wrote: »
    actually I beat both of you to it:D

I sort of knew what the answer would be when I asked why his friend could no longer afford his car and had to sell:rolleyes:

indeed, and I didn't buy a Lotto ticket last Saturday because I knew my numbers weren't going to come up :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

galwaytt wrote: »
    indeed, and I didn't buy a Lotto ticket last Saturday because I knew my numbers weren't going to come up :)
    I read somewhere once that the lotto is really a tax on being stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

unkel wrote: »
    So €0.30 on top of a litre then. And let's remember we can close the whole government system that is motor tax. Make all staff involved redundant. That would save a lot of money in the long run!

In theory I would love to cut the civil service by about 1/3, but putting 140,000 people on Social Welfare overnight is tha major problem with that. We just need to nationalise a few big companies and expand them to make it workable....AIB anyone :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Gegerty wrote: »
    Or genetically engineer them to fart oxygen :p

Going very off topic here, but yep, they're working on reducing the methane from cows. The bacteria in kangaroos somach reduces the methane produced in their farts, now we just need to get cows stomach acid to do the same thing. Supposely cow methane accounts for 14% of greenhouse gases produced in australia, and is much higher in more agri intensive countries like here. (sourse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ninty9er wrote: »
    IWe just need to nationalise a few big companies and expand them to make it workable....AIB anyone :D:D
    :eek:
    No, we need to privatise. Starting with the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I have to say I also disagree with Motor Tax being backdated. Many people would have bought petrol cars(including several relations) because the VRT made diesels so expensive, and the larger capacity of diesels means that they cost more to tax.

Now if the road tax were to be backdated, then they would be severely penalised for the decision they made(I mean nobody can predict the future), as would most people, because right up until last year, over 70% of people bought petrols(and up until 06 I think it was, over 75% of people stuck with petrol). The market would turn on it's head. It would affect so many people.

If you bought a car like a Mazda RX-8 then you'd be stuck with a 2k tax bill, as opposed to €530 now(cause atm it's taxed as a 1.8).

Of course it's unfair on those who bought lower emissions cars already, and in one sense I don't see anything against people being allowed to 'opt in' like that, but then again it would effectively penalise those who bought what at the time was the best option for them. The whole environmentally friendliness thing only bothered eco mentalists until last December after all.

And I agree with what others said re diesels. They should have to pay extra for the fact that they are a public health risk. Someone is going to have to pay to keep those extra people in hospital to be cured of cancer in the long run(though if the Government made DPF's mandatory that would hugely reduce the public health risk of diesels), and the Government should never have been so stupid as to allow diesels be sold under the new scheme without DPFs.

There are still plenty of cars with power that will be reasonable to run, BMW 330i/335d/530i/535d with €600 road tax or 123d with €150 road tax anyone, though serious performance machines will pay a heavy price under the new system.

[OT]The lotto is a tax on people being stupid. The probability of winning it is so small it might as well be 0. I'd never waste my money on something I know I'll never win.[/OT]

EDIT: having looked at BMW's Dutch website, I see that the 316i is €1,500 cheaper than the 318i, even though the 318i is also in Band A for energy efficiency. Is "Bpm" the Dutch equivalent of VRT? It's kind of funny that we're going to lose the 316i when other countries are set to get it(even if it did stay, I don't know why anyone would buy it, as it is in the same road tax category as a 320i or even a 325d(ok I cheated a bit here as it is a diesel) which has almost twice as big an engine and 2 extra cylinders too).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

E92 wrote: »
    Is "Bpm" the Dutch equivalent of VRT?

Yes!
    E92 wrote: »
    It's kind of funny that we're going to lose the 316i when other countries are set to get it

Indeed although I'd call it pathetic rather than funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed although I'd call it pathetic rather than funny

Cheers for the info.

What I'm wondering is why is the 316i €1500 cheaper when it's in the same VRT band though as the 318i(in Holland), I mean we know that the 318i would be roughly the same price here if it and the 316i had the same VRT? Why are they now selling it there anyway?

I meant to say ironic instead of funny though in my previous post, though it is funny and quite frankly ridiculous all the same.(not that I'll be bemoaning the demise of the 316i or anything)

Advertisement