Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

valliant boiler problem

Options
  • 03-03-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi Everyone

I was sitting watching a bit of tv last night and all of a sudden i heard a drip from my boiler press

I noticed there was a drip coming from my boiler, i also noticed that the pressure was very high, could this be the problem that there was water dripping from it,

Where can i let the pressure down?

The boiler is only a year old

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wrong forum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Feature Requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Firstly find where the water is coming from. If the pressure is very high, it could be that the valve for filling the system has been left open, especially if it has been filled recently.
    Is the water coming from a safety valve, or sometimes you get a leak from an automatic air vent.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭djkat

sorry about that

Hi Jamesm

Its coming out of a hole that has a thread on it but its not mentioned in the manual so cant even descibe it right

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

is the hole on top of a brass shaped cylinder with a diameter of a toilet roll an a 1/2 inch pipe coming out the bottom - If so dont loose any sleep over it,
    Or can you describe any better what this threaded thing looks like - Photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

djkat wrote: »
    Hi Jamesm

Its coming out of a hole that has a thread on it but its not mentioned in the manual so cant even descibe it right

thanks

Sounds like the safety valve. It will cause corrosion if you let it continue to drip. Firstly you need to shut off the filler valve (probably in the hotpress), then, if possible, you need to get some water from the system. There could be a drain cock at the bottom of the boiler - loosen it and catch the water - try to get the pressure below 2 bar. You can twist the black or red knob on the top of the safety valve, but this can cause the water to come out of that threaded hole under pressure - so be careful.
    I fthe filler valve is turned off, the drip will eventually stop of its own accord - probably :D
    Jim.

thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..it is indeed the pressure release valve. I know, I just spent some 'quality time' fixing my heating system.......with a Vaillant.

If the plumber hadn't used the valve to crack off some pressure, mine would never have dripped anyway.

However, this raises the question - why isn't the blow-off valve plumbed to outside the house??? To have that pipe - possibly exposed - inside the house, or near sockets is a very serious safety issue. That thread should have had a pipe connected to it, going outside..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement