Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trailer Hub issue!!!

Options
  • 03-03-2008 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,

I need some advice. We lost a wheel off our old boat trailer recently on the N11 and it took the outer half of the hub with it due to bearing failure.

Now we are trying to match a replacement but so far cant find a second hand or a new hub with the same outer section.

Has anyone got advice on where to look or a company that can help us.

Thanks

Ronan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

GHGW wrote: »
    Hi,

I need some advice. We lost a wheel off our old boat trailer recently on the N11 and it took the outer half of the hub with it due to bearing failure.

Now we are trying to match a replacement but so far cant find a second hand or a new hub with the same outer section.

Has anyone got advice on where to look or a company that can help us.

Thanks

Ronan

Been there and done that!! Not nice..

Foxs in Naas are great for bearings.. 014693500. Don't mention boat just say trailer.. the bearings associated with boats tend to increase the price..

Same thing happened to me i ended up getting a hub from a breakers yard and welding it to the trailer. It was a really old trailer and the hub was destroyed when the wheel left it.. Suspension unit cost a fortune..

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭GHGW

Thanks for the info.

I have no damage to the remaining parts but i need a drum to attach as this is the part that disappeared. We have a full set of new bearing already as we had i ntended doing this job anyway.

We removed the brake system years ago so any hub that fits will do but so far no luck in the breakers yards and I dont know what measurements I should take to email part suppliers. Im assumimng bolt patern and diameter hub diameter and axle diameter. Anything else I should take??

Does anyone know what the PCD measurement is???

Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

GHGW wrote: »
    Thanks for the info.

I have no damage to the remaining parts but i need a drum to attach as this is the part that disappeared. We have a full set of new bearing already as we had i ntended doing this job anyway.

We removed the brake system years ago so any hub that fits will do but so far no luck in the breakers yards and I dont know what measurements I should take to email part suppliers. Im assumimng bolt patern and diameter hub diameter and axle diameter. Anything else I should take??

Does anyone know what the PCD measurement is???

Ronan

Why not take the hub off the other side and go around scrap yards with that one, and try get a match??

Have tried this and no luck so far.

I think if I got a one with the same bolt layout and similar diameter that it would be fine as the braking system is removed from the hub/drum anyone know if this would work??

We have got the new wheel and bearing kits already and this is driving me mad trying to get a replacement drum I see some here...

http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Brake_Drums.html

not exact matches but they may work. I have to get the boat moves ASAP as it is stuck in a repair yard in Greystones and they need the space!!

Any advice appreciated

R

Why not take the hub off the other side and go around scrap yards with that one, and try get a match??

Is it single axle?

• Advertisement

Its dual axle originally had brakes but we removed them due to corrosion and the 4X4 we pull it with is good enough for stopping. The boat isnt that heavy really.

We replace the bearing every year due to salt water but we had to move it to the yard this year before replacing them and two bearings failed lost both rear tyres one we couldnt find the ditch swallowed it, along with the hub drum attached!!

R

stifz wrote: »
    Is it single axle?

Im sure your aware that legally twin axle MUST be braked regardless of towing vehicle.. Anyway.. Can you not tow it as is to your own yard and then do repairs. When i bought mine the boat trailer had one wheel on each opposite axle.. towed 15miles home crawling but got there in the end... then did the over haul. after removing the boat to get it worked on the trailer snapped in half on the main road.. Lucky it was empty and no one was hurt.

I had the same scenario. I got the bearings no problem but the hubs were off something pre 75 ish.. As i said i got a new hub that fitted the wheel nuts and welded in on.. I would'nt mis-match hubs & drums.. Either up grade both to indespension or weld on new hub. And i'd defo sort out the brakes.. if your stopped they'll nail ya. They're getn really strict about this in recent months..

I DIdnt realise I had to have brakes if its twin axle thanks for info. Think welding a new one on is the only option and refitting brake lines and pads. It actually looks like the brake system is fitted and working to the naked eye but we know its not functioning, anyway boats for sale so may not worry about it.

R

Im sure your aware that legally twin axle MUST be braked regardless of towing vehicle.. Anyway.. Can you not tow it as is to your own yard and then do repairs. When i bought mine the boat trailer had one wheel on each opposite axle.. towed 15miles home crawling but got there in the end... then did the over haul. after removing the boat to get it worked on the trailer snapped in half on the main road.. Lucky it was empty and no one was hurt.

I had the same scenario. I got the bearings no problem but the hubs were off something pre 75 ish.. As i said i got a new hub that fitted the wheel nuts and welded in on.. I would'nt mis-match hubs & drums.. Either up grade both to indespension or weld on new hub. And i'd defo sort out the brakes.. if your stopped they'll nail ya. They're getn really strict about this in recent months..

It sounds a bit like my own brake set up!! What type of boat is it? Any pix?

Its a beneteau first class 8 m race yacht called CUL8R

you can see it here.

http://yachts.apolloduck.com/display.phtml?aid=76859

for sale if your interested

It sounds a bit like my own brake set up!! What type of boat is it? Any pix?

• Advertisement
Advertisement