Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Strain - 1 week to race ! Help !!

• 03-03-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Ballycotton 10 on this sunday, but i was out running saturday and did something to my calf musscle. Was fine for first 2 miles and then bang - sharp pain in calf.

The question is - is there anything i can do to get it right in a week. How can i give myself the best chance to starting, and hopefully finishing next week !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Damoz

Book a physio immediately. Dont run until you get their diagnosis.
    I got a calf strain in the first week in January and unfortunately am still out due to being too eager get back.
    If I could rewind I would have rested for a few days and cross trained for a couple of weeks before starting back.
    You may have to skip Ballycotton but thats beats being out for a couple of months. See what your physio says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Get to a physio ASAP may need to ddep massage to help but if its a tear you will be lucky, I did the same before the dublin Triathlon last year 10 days before and didnt make it back in time. For me it was nearly 4 week, but i had a tear you maybe lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Hi Damoz

Did you make it in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

I didnt make it. Rested until the Thursday and then did a trial run - only managed 100 meters before the same pain came back...

Now 2 weeks later, i just ran 3 miles and it seems fine. So i guess Ballycotton wasnt meant to be this year - 2009 here we come. I will try to run some other races this year, injury permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭theflash800

go yo a physio first and then ice it down and take ice baths and stuff....... then maybe try a short jog a day or two before the race to see how you are!

• Advertisement
Advertisement