Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyfest

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why it was moved to Cashel this year? I've nothing against Cashel personally (I barely know where it is :)) but it was a great success when it was in Dublin. Also, the site says you have to register to go to it. Must be planning the worlds smallest or first indoor firework display if you need tickets :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Wasn't it cancelled in Dublin last year? TBH, Cashel would be a great spot if they use the rock could see it from miles around..although being in the country that will just leave them with a bunch of wide-eyed sheep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a bit weird alright - I picked up the brochure for the St. Patricks festival and it has detail of all the stuff thats going on around dublin, with a little map, and then it says "Skyfest - Rock of Cashel". Its over 100 miles away ffs!

Something to do with sponsors I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

Why to sponsor a show for 1m people in European capital if you can do the same for 50 sheep in the middle of nowhere??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

nothing surprises me anymore but this lunacy comes close

• Registered Users Posts: 30,157 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The reason that was *given* is that it was because they had to cancel last year's one in Dublin because of the weather. Is Dublin more at risk of bad weather than Cashel???
    It is rather a bizarre choice. Why not set them off from a ship or island off the coast of Dublin so people along the coastal promendades could see it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

I think its great to see it in Cashel and the national festival committee doing something outside of Dublin.

but what gets me, is that its a ticketed event... thats just strange.. are they gonna start turning people away from cashel if they just show up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pickpockets and riots in Dublin after the skyfests (obigatory " :)" ). And as far as I know, people outside Dublin pay taxes too. Besides, if us culchies can make it up to Dublin for 10th of December then maybe some dubs can see the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if the weather at the minute stays like it is, the only thing going off in cashel will be cows farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

df1985 wrote: »
    if the weather at the minute stays like it is, the only thing going off in cashel will be cows farts.

Nooooo, are you NUTS? They should go ahead. Great new sport. EXTREME FIREWORX: See the fireworks... DODGE the fireworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Phantom

Good man IrishGrover, well said.
    Although in defence of the Dubliners there, it is so easy to forget that Ireland doesn't stop at the M50. Its just so easy to forget about the 3,733,637 tax paying citizens who don't live in Dublin. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Good man IrishGrover, well said.
    Although in defence of the Dubliners there, it is so easy to forget that Ireland doesn't stop at the M50. Its just so easy to forget about the 3,733,637 tax paying citizens who don't live in Dublin. :rolleyes:

3m not 3.7!

Dublin county consists of four councils not one.

4,239,848 (state population) - 506,211 (Dublin city population) = 3,733,637

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

4,239,848 (state population) - 506,211 (Dublin city population) = 3,733,637

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

:cool:

You need to add up for the four councils for the population.

Dublin City 506,211
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown 194,038
    Fingal 239,992
    South Dublin 246,935

= 1,187,176

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

It's possibly to move the Skyfest out of Dublin and still have it somewhere sensible. Cashel is a tiny town in the south of the country with poor public transport links and, I'd guess, a poor selection of hotels. Anyone going is forced to drive, forced to park and the majority will be forced to drive home tonight.

At least put it in the centre of the country or in a city where the maximum number of people can enjoy it, can go somewhere afterwards and can stay the night if they want.

Trampas wrote: »
    You need to add up for the four councils for the population.

Dublin City 506,211
    Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown 194,038
    Fingal 239,992
    South Dublin 246,935

= 1,187,176

Fair enough :D

I do have to agree with markpb.

I am from Tipp, quite near Cashel and although it will look great on TV the roads aren't built to cope vith the volume of traffic expected.
    they have closed the whole town because its not capable of coping with so much traffic.

I cant even drive in to town later because I dont have a ticket!!!! MENTAL

Gonna get in the back door though! Cant wait to see it.

Advertisement