Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anybody know...

Options
  • 03-03-2008 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I bought a car on the 25th of Feb, the tax expired at the end of January. I now have to get a form stamped to say itwas off the road. What I want to know is whether I have to prove it was off the road for the month of Feb, and if i can't, am I liable for the tax? Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

You shouldn't be asked to prove it no, just bring your renewal form (I think) to the Guards and they stamp and sign it confirming it was off the road. You might need a seperate form for that actually though it was 2 years since I had to do it so can't remember exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Thanks for the reply Vikings!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You don't have to prove anything, you're not liable for anything to do with the car before the day you bought it (i.e. back tax or proof it was off the road).
    Make sure the dates you put on the form reflect this.

If you make a declaration saying it was off the road for Feb and it turns out previous owner got done for some driving offence in that period, you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya stevec is right however seeing that you bought it on the 25th of feb, you should be taxing it for all of feb so therefore you will need to get the form signed to prove that you didnt use it from the 25th until march 1st or else just pay for feb.

Advertisement