Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime options- D2, lower Baggot area

• 03-03-2008 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

The office is in crisis- our favourite sambo shop has transmuted into ‘a concept sausage store’ so now we are on the look out for new options. Here’s what we are after:

Mandatory
    • Sambos, wraps, salads etc adhering to the ‘modern Irish’, ‘slow food’ etc concepts ie. yes to sunblushed tomatoes, no to premixed tuna and mayo. Coleslaw use should be limited.
    • Reasonably priced (E 6 is really pushing in)
    • Food prepared in a reasonable time (pre-made is fine, so long as not really old)
    • Some decent sandwich suggestions
    • Will keep our bellies full until dinner time

Desirable
    • Not busy
    • quick
    • cheap
    • nice, smiley staff

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you explain what you mean by "concept sausage store" - I'm intrigued?

Sorry for not assisting with your original query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Puffin

While I am naturally slightly traumatised that after I FINALLY receive a response it offers no help, I do respect your question so will endeavour to answer it.

As Orange Square, a successful and moderately priced sandwich shop, closed its shutters for the final time ‘regulars’ such as myself were handed a flier promising an ‘exciting new gourmet sausage concept’. While I cannot claim to be an expert in either semiotics or catering my understanding of this is as follows:

• Gourmet: a food or beverage that includes herbs and/or spices that your Gran would not be comfortable with

• Sausage: carcass off-cuts ground into a tacky paste and squeezed into cat's guts

• Concept: a term widely used in the arts, fashion, media etc. Generally a synonym for ‘thingamajig’ or ‘youknow’, users believe it to be imbued with connotations of education and sophistication, therefore justifying elevated price tags.

In practise, this seems to be a small shop with retro light fittings and photographs of ‘funky’ people where one may pay E6.95 for a trumped up hot dog served by artistically groomed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Rhubard Deli makes nice sambos.

Pig and heiffer is a bit of a trek away on harcourt street but it is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

+1 for the trek to Pig and Heiffer. Otherwise Sushi King is your friend.*

*yes I am aware they don't do sandwiches but sandwiches get boring real quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭niall2j

You're probably going to think it's too far to walk for lunch but I have to add my voice for the Pig & Heifer.

Since my job moved from out of town I have missed that place more than anything :(

• Advertisement

Went down through Baggot Street today and saw this new sausage store. It's called "Jo'Banger", so I presume that it's a sister shop to the very tasty "Jo'Burger" in Rathmines.

Must trot over there and try it for lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Another voice of support for Pig & Heifer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

dudara wrote: »
    Went down through Baggot Street today and saw this new sausage store. It's called "Jo'Banger", so I presume that it's a sister shop to the very tasty "Jo'Burger" in Rathmines.

Did you try it out yet? I love Jo'Burger, but heard so-so reports on the sausage-sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Todoquetengo

dudara wrote: »

That's the one OP was saying has replaced Orange Square :D

Wonder why Orange Square closed?

There's a place call Cobblers just off Leeson St behind permanent tsb that does nice sambos for €4, bit like the stuff Orange Sqaure used to do and you can eat in for free

There's always Munchies as well....

olaola wrote: »
    Did you try it out yet? I love Jo'Burger, but heard so-so reports on the sausage-sister.

I tried it yesterday. I liked it, didn't love it. For €6.95 you get to choose a sausage (about 6 varieties to choose from - I went for harissa and cumin), whether you want a roll, wrap or salad. You choose a sauce (lots to choose from, I went for chipotle aioli) and I added sauté onions as well. It was quite substantial and I get the impression that you could add a few more toppings to the sausage as well.

Fairly nice overall - but word of warning, there are no seats there, it's entirely takeaway.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all those who have responded.

Today we went on an ‘office excursion’ to Cobbler’s. Lovely atmosphere, friendly staff, good food. Thanks for that suggestion.

Sadly the Pig and Heifer is just too far for our trotters to trot. We have been to Munchies on occasion, but the queues and staff were too much for us; and Sushi King scared us with their chicken pesto nori roll.

As for that concept sausage shop, even our doobie smoking, headband wearing office dude won’t do a pork sausage at lunchtime. And he’ll do pretty much anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thejuicemaster

hi puffin, its great you've found a nice place to go, by the way the "dude" in your office sounds real cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thejuicemaster

hi puffin have you found a nice place yet?

No. They are all too expensive, too crowded or contain %*& food. You have no idea the amount of whinging this situation has created.

By the way… you’re not the Patrick Bateman guy from personal issues are you? Are you just waiting for an opportunity to tell me to eat my colleagues?

Advertisement