Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital Gains Tax[No Legal Advice.]

• 03-03-2008 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

I sold a small house i had in cavan recently, it was not our family home. i have had it about 10 years.I think i am liable for a small amount of capital gains tax. If I do not inform the tax office how do they find out. does my solicitor tell them or is there another way for them to find out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

john1963 wrote: »
    I sold a small house i had in cavan recently, it was not our family home. i have had it about 10 years.I think i am liable for a small amount of capital gains tax. If I do not inform the tax office how do they find out. does my solicitor tell them or is there another way for them to find out.

Once the deed from you to the purchaser goes into the system - whether for payment of stamp duty or for registration in land registry/ registry of deeds, then the transaction is known to the revenue, and you could be subject to an audit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭john1963

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Once the deed from you to the purchaser goes into the system - whether for payment of stamp duty or for registration in land registry/ registry of deeds, then the transaction is known to the revenue, and you could be subject to an audit.

so the revenue examine all of these transactions and its my responsibility to have declared it?? . How likely is an audit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

so ............. its my responsibility to have declared it?? .

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

so the revenue examine all of these transactions and its my responsibility to have declared it?? . How likely is an audit

You should assume it's likely and act accordingly. This isn't legal advice, more than 'general cop-on' advice, but as long as your PPS number goes into The System, you're on the radar. Trying to hide in this manner would be ill-advised, and if they get on your case, they'll ride you into next week with interest, surcharges and penalties.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

OK, looking for tax evasion advice is really, really not allowed. John1963, the only advice you should take here is to declare to the Revenue. They have all manner of ways to find you out. Pay your bloody taxes like the rest of us.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement