Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to make chicken soup?

• 03-03-2008 2:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to make a batch of nice, hearty, filling chicken soup but I haven't a clue how to do it!

If I buy a chicken to make the stock from, do I need to buy more chicken to put into the soup? Or can I use the original chicken?

Any recipes and help appreciated!

I'll be eating it as a meal by itself, so the more filling, the better!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you want it to be 'filling' why not try a chicken stew instead of soup.

Recent thread here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks Hill Billy. Completely forgot about that thread!

Gonna try MAJD's recipe tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I usually boil up the bones from a roast chicken carcass and add spuds, lentils carrots and onions.

That's about it really! Tastes great too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

I really like using the bones too, with carrots and well really the last few bits of veg hanging around the fridge before I go shopping. Chop the veg, and strip off the last few bits of meat (keep this to one side) and throw it all into a pot of water. Bring to the boil and then cover and let it simmer for a few hours. Take off the heat and spoon off any fat that came to the top. Strain the stock into a smaller pot and this should taste of a really watery chicken soup. Get some dried porcini/wild mushrooms (These are usually rehydrated in lukewarm/warm water for 15-30 mins)and put them directly into the stock and leave for how long it sugests on the packet. Then take your stripped off meat from earlier add it back to the soup mix and put back onto the hob. Gently simmer for another 15-20 mins and season.

Lidl does a ciabatta you heat up in the oven, I think its the herb one that I liked the last time I did this but heat that up in the oven and serve on the side.
    Yummy Chicken and Wild Mushroom Soup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Faith wrote: »
    I'm looking to make a batch of nice, hearty, filling chicken soup but I haven't a clue how to do it!

If I buy a chicken to make the stock from, do I need to buy more chicken to put into the soup? Or can I use the original chicken?

Any recipes and help appreciated!

I'll be eating it as a meal by itself, so the more filling, the better!

Buy chicken fillets, cut up into small pieces, add to pot with onions, carrots, pototoes and any other ingredients you want. Boil for about 2 hours then add chicken soup packet or chicken cube and boil for half hour til it has thickened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

I hate bones in chicken soup, disgusting :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Featherl wrote: »
    I hate bones in chicken soup, disgusting :eek:

I find that if you use skinless, boneless chicken the soup just doesn't have the same flavour. You can take the chicken out and remove the skin and bones bfore serving.

Advertisement