Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you moving to Galway?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says. There are many people moving to Galway, why?
    Is it the air, laidbackness or the weather? Could it be that you can't take living in Belfast, Cork, Dublin any more?

I moved to Galway because I liked the atmosphere here, the people and the slower pace. It's a city with a small town feel and also roughly the same size as my home town.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

i moved cos it feels like home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

i moved cos it feels like home :D
    Good to see you've come round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

yep.

went home to Dublin at the weekend and couldnt wait to get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I got a job here, when I couldn't get one in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I got the job I really really really wanted in Galway, of all places, thats why I moved here.

While I like Galway a lot, if I need to find another job for any reason there isn't much else keeping me here unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i moved down in the first place for the craic (well do do a course to tell the truth) but ummm that 8 week course turned into a 2 and half year bender :) love the place but alas love brought me northwards again but i will be back.

even though it's a city and i usually detest them it's not to big and you end up meeting some great people through similer interests as varied as they might be.

sigh please let her get into 3rd year in GMIT....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm from Galway and I love it. Living in Sligo for college and i'm going nuts trying to get back to Galway for the summer.

I have to go on work placement and i've been trying for weeks to get somewhere in Galway, think I may have secured somewhere. So i've an interview for an IT job next week... fingers crossed i'll be back home for the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I moved here because my parents told me to.

i was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Galway has a great atmosphere and friendly bustling nature.
    I was told by my Auntie that I would love it here. So I came over for a few days and it just felt right.

There are lots of cute girls here too, that's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

MattKid wrote: »
    There are lots of cute girls here too.

and crazy ones....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I've always lived here, and went away for a year and didnt miss it one bit..when I got home I realised it was one of the best cities Ive come across, but Im still itching to go again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Job was based in Galway

They add the excitement to your life and help you appreciate the sane ones

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I moved here for the lovely weather and the gorgeous men.

I would have assumed the above was being sarcastic but there is a lack of smilie so I have come to the conclusion Dafunk is another of the crazy girls:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My Mam's from here.
    Used to come down when I was younger for craic and music.
    Years later got a job here, and stayed.
    Moved away (work and my ex!), love to travel but missed Galway.
    Back hopefully for a long spell.. good to see a lot of old heads resurfacing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Moved here 12 years ago to get away from stinky, skanger-filled Dooblin. its alright but the frckin rain is doing my nut in...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

and crazy ones....

thought your sis was in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

danniemcq wrote: »
    thought your sis was in Dublin?

He's talking about his oul wan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Visited for the reputation (cool place 'n all).

Stay initially 'cos my mates from home had moved here, and already had a flat and knew the job, PPS, bank-acct, flat routine, and it was good to have people to hang out.

Now they've gone (travel in Europe then home), I'm staying for the welcoming trad music scene, the ease of living here (small walkable city) and the cultural events (festivals, concerts, new play at the Town Hall every week).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Galway is very unique. Most of the people that made an appearance here want to visit Galway once more. Many who leaved that town wants to back again.

I've been in many countries in Europe so I know what I'm saying. Today I'm not living in Galway. But I really miss this place and seriously thinking about getting back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Chose here initially since my sister - who I moved here with - was considering school at NUIG.

She didn't end up going there, but we heard good things about Galway while looking into it, and decided to move anyway.

Advertisement