Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D15 wildlife?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

Does anyone know of good spots to watch animals in D15..for example I know there are Badgers down the canal near delwood and planty of foxes alonmg the canal as well,also planty to see in the hospital grounds....anywhere else?
    I spotted some frog spawn in a ponf bear blanch hospital too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Heaven nightclub on a Friday/Saturday night ;):D

Basically along the canal or the Tolka you are bound to find something of interest. Have walked both on many occasions and see everything from foxes, chickens ,kingfishers ,rats, heron, pheasants, stoats (haven't seen them in a few years since to be honest) , swans and thats what I can think of from the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Have a look around Astagob, porterstown and the strawberry beds. My father farmed all around there and most of the land is not built on. I walk my dogs around that area a lot as it is still very close to my heart. There is an incredible amount of wildlife around that area.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

StrawDub wrote: »
    Have a look around Astagob, porterstown and the strawberry beds.

Where is Astragob?

Murt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've seen a number of hares or rabbits in Portertstown Park (zoom out to get your bearings). I've seen them in the bottom left edge of the park (when viewed from above - when walking enter and keep right).

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Try the glen from the upper road down to the lower road at the sandpits. Better still, try it at night. Really scary:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Strawberry Beds has already been mentioned so I'd say head down to the Phoenix Park to see the deer.

Apparently there's dogs or dogging or something like that there at night time too :p

Sunrise is the best time to be in the Park. Wouldnt advise anyone to be there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

Murt10 wrote: »
    Where is Astragob?

Murt

Astagob (Astagob House) is a town land within the barony of Castleknock. It runs from the top of the rugged lane across as far homeleigh, it then runs all the way down the hill side into the Strawberry beds, Porterstown Park is part of Astagob. My father farmed the whole area up to about 20 years ago, excellent land.

Strawdub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Judging by the amount of animals I see when leaving work, I'd suggest the car parks in the Ballycoolin Business park at the very top of Snugborough road.

I'm not kidding!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kaldorn wrote: »
    Does anyone know of good spots to watch animals in D15..for example I know there are Badgers down the canal near delwood and planty of foxes alonmg the canal as well,also planty to see in the hospital grounds....anywhere else?
    I spotted some frog spawn in a ponf bear blanch hospital too

Along the Tolka between New Dunsink lane and Ashtown. Its walkable though there are no paved areas, it quite wild. Its dark enough at night unless there's training in Coolmine rugby club. You're likely to see badgers, foxes, rabbits, Herons, pheasants, kestrels, owls, lots of other bird species bats, frogs, etc. depending on time of day/night and season. We did have lots of hares but havent seen any in a while so they might be all gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Basically along the canal or the Tolka you are bound to find something of interest. Have walked both on many occasions and see everything from foxes, chickens ,kingfishers ,rats, heron, pheasants, stoats (haven't seen them in a few years since to be honest) , swans and thats what I can think of from the top of my head.

Wow, wild chickens in Dublin 15?

quank wrote: »
    Wow, wild chickens in Dublin 15?

lol , I know ! I have seen them though and I am not sure if they belong to someone but I have seen them along the canal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Kaldorn, go see wildwife now when you can. The development in the last 10-15 years or so has split up the green areas so much that most larger mammals cant survive for very long. foxes will do OK because they will scavenge, but badgers rabbits and hares need too much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

whats about the geese in martin savage park, something like 600 fly there every morning, i have some pics of them at home. they have the football pitches destroyed , but they will be gone soon, so hurry

Saw a hare this morning at about 7am running across the road at Latchford estate at the back of Ongar village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

St Catherine's park Dublin 15 /ongar/Lucan Demesne is also a good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

I happened across a baby fox cub playing away in a ditch in Porterstown Park this morning. He was a black/grey colour, not the brownish red I was expecting. He looked so cute and carefree playing away by himself. When he seen me watching him he ran back and stood in the mouth of his den looking out at me.

1st time I've ever been so close to a fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lil-buttons

Hey, Lots of lovely rabbits and hares and various birds around Blanchardstowm IT and in and around the industrial area where theres lots of greenery!

There were some chickens (not quite wildlife) pecking away on the river road recently, in the gateway across from the pig farm (also not wildlife).
    One sadly, and quite spectacularly, met its maker by straying too close to a car though, so there's one les now. Go see 'em while you can!:D

I was a bit pleased to see rabbits show up in our garden last year, but now I'm beginning to hate them. There's bloody loads of the bastids this year and they're digging up all my plants and leaving loads of holes in the lawn. :mad:

Murt10 wrote: »
    I happened across a baby fox cub playing away in a ditch in Porterstown Park this morning. He was a black/grey colour, not the brownish red I was expecting. He looked so cute and carefree playing away by himself. When he seen me watching him he ran back and stood in the mouth of his den looking out at me.

1st time I've ever been so close to a fox.
    There was a fox used to walk my garden wall when I moved here 10 years ago. I also had hedgehogs come and go. Since so many houses have gone up I only see them dead on the road. I have 2 Grey Tits building a nest on my house in the last week. I sit for ages watching them. I hope they have chicks. It,s brilliant watching them.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Stoner wrote: »
    whats about the geese in martin savage park, something like 600 fly there every morning, i have some pics of them at home. they have the football pitches destroyed , but they will be gone soon, so hurry

I ran from blanch to broom bridge today along the canal, i couldn't believe it was so clean, it was nice... it was never that clean when i was canoeing in it years ago!!

The walk way from ashtown to broom bridge is nice, the swans seem used to people also...

I ran from blanch to broom bridge today along the canal, i couldn't believe it was so clean, it was nice... it was never that clean when i was canoeing in it years ago!!

The walk way from ashtown to broom bridge is nice, the swans seem used to people also...

Have they paved between Castleknock and Ashtown the whole way yet? I love that part of the canal, but I went to walk it a while ago and it was just so boggy I had to turn back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 suzy_2005ie

There was a Squirrel on my living room window ledge at the end of last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deswalsh wrote: »
    Have they paved between Castleknock and Ashtown the whole way yet? I love that part of the canal, but I went to walk it a while ago and it was just so boggy I had to turn back.

nope its not paved between castleknock and ashtown, although it wasn't too bad, not that mucky... i just couldn't get over how clear the water is...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Theres a great spot on the way out of Blanchardstown going towards Leixlip called St. Catherines wood. i was there a good while ago and people go into it to birdwatch, but you will also encounter mammals:D

My bluetits have been feeding their chicks for about 2 weeks now. Does anyone know when they will fledge? I dont want to miss it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not a clue, but if no-one here knows I'd imagine some of the guys over on the Nature & Bird Watching forum will be able to help you out.

Zaph wrote: »
    Not a clue, but if no-one here knows I'd imagine some of the guys over on the Nature & Bird Watching forum will be able to help you out.
    There hasnt been anyone in there since june last year. They,ve flown the coup in the nature and birdie forum:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There hasnt been anyone in there since june last year. They,ve flown the coup in the nature and birdie forum:D

There are posts there today and have been most days this week and last. You sure you were looking at the right forum?

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    There are posts there today and have been most days this week and last. You sure you were looking at the right forum?
    Ooops, must have missed a page. Found it.:)

Advertisement