Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any suggestions for a Used Car

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a car for 5-7k. As fresh in years as possible. Engine size isn't a major concern but prob happy with a 1.4 or 1.6 litre. Insurance is ok aswell as I'm 35.

I have been driving a renault megane for 8 years from new, with no problems whatsoever, despite all the bad press. So another renault would be considered.

I saw this one http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/MG/ZR/+-105/941878/ but I'm not familiar with Rovers/MG's and I think there are no dealers anymore, so that would be a prob.

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Marky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Well if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Megane/car/729226/

Heard a lot of good talk about that model Megane. The saloon one looks good as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Thanks Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats an old-model ZR and as a result a bit overpriced as a result. Nice enough car and fairly reliable though. Theres still ex-Rover dealers up north as a safety net, and theres even warranty on some of the cars. Insurance is very, very cheap on them surprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Glad you have a good experience of the Renault, there is a lot of dissatisfied owners out there, so you should be able to buy one at a very decent price. Shop around, at dealers other than Renault or privately and you will buy one of these for at least two grand less than a main dealer.:rolleyes: Personally , I wouldn't touch one with a fifty foot pole, would be more inclined to go for a vw or you will also buy a good quality focus which is a super car.

Thanks MYOB & Shawnee, appreciate the comments.

Marky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

shawnee wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch one with a fifty foot pole, would be more inclined to go for a vw .

Outside of the general "man down the pub" VW reliabilty is not seen as much better. They are in a strange position in that they have n undeserved reliability rep. Junkyard will never say a good thing about Renault but is almost as quick to bemoan VW.

The missus was buying a new car recently, we've been a Renault family, trouble free, for a few years now(the mother is driving my old 00 clio, my dad is usign a 00 Laguna as a work car I had a safrane until I changed to a van recently) . She liked he megane but went for a grand Scenic because she had a scenic befare and liked the space and the drive. At he end of the day it's based on the megane so much the same. Have to say I really like the scenic, but was taken with the Megane saloon too (not a fan of hatch's)

Stekelly wrote: »
    Outside of the general "man down the pub" VW reliabilty is not seen as much better. They are in a strange position in that they have n undeserved reliability rep. Junkyard will never say a good thing about Renault but is almost as quick to bemoan VW.

The missus was buying a new car recently, we've been a Renault family, trouble free, for a few years now(the mother is driving my old 00 clio, my dad is usign a 00 Laguna as a work car I had a safrane until I changed to a van recently) . She liked he megane but went for a grand Scenic because she had a scenic befare and liked the space and the drive. At he end of the day it's based on the megane so much the same. Have to say I really like the scenic, but was taken with the Megane saloon too (not a fan of hatch's)

Yeah, I would agree on the Megane Saloon, I like the look of it a bit more than the "shaking that ass" version. My old boss had a Safrane for a few year and loved it, he moved up to a Honda Legend after that.

Thanks again for the comments. I'll let you know what happens.

Marky

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

markymac wrote: »
    My old boss had a Safrane for a few year and loved it, .

I had 2 :) First was a 2.0 , engine was too small for the size of the car. moved up to the 2.5 auto, perfect. Absolutely loved the car and really regret selling it, especially after I basically pissed away the money.:mad:

Advertisement