Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shin splints?

• 03-03-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭

I think its shin splints. Basically yesterday after about ten minutes into the game I started getting really bad burning sort of sensation in my legs. It was if my legs were like led. I had to go off after about 35 minutes into the game.

Ive got this before in matches but usually after a while it goes and i can run it off.

I seem to get it aswell if im walking a long distant fast.

Anyways i was told that they heard its something to do with not having enough muscle behind the knee or something. Im dont know if thats right but today ive a bad pain behind my knee, if thats connected I dont know?

Can anyone enlighten me on what is the problem and how exactly do I get rid of it? Its really fustrating and can ruin how you play in match because its so difficult to run or even move properly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Go see a doctor tbh, no-one here is really qualified to give a diagnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That sounds like shin splints, but I'd go check it out. Normally ice, elevation and staying off it is the way to get rid of it, but go to the doctor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Doctor is the way to go. I was told that the only cure is rest and then have proper comfortable footwear when I went back playing i.e. good support and shaped inner soles. Hit the doc first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hit the doc first though.
    It's generally considered bad manners to assault any member of the medical profession, either before, or indeed during and after the consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

tumbleweed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DesF wrote: »
    It's generally considered bad manners to assault any member of the medical profession, either before, or indeed during and after the consultation.

Doctor tried to give me eye drops once - so i kicked him.

I really didn't want eye drops put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Have you been playing football for while and this is only starting to occur recently? Generally Shin Splints tend to happen when people haven't been doing any exercise for a while and then try to do too much. I've had them and they're not nice.

But yeah, as Xavi has said, go kick a doctor in the nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It can also happen when playing on hard surfaces like indoor courts or heavy astro pitches.

Bit of assault never hurt anyone anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Have you been playing football for while and this is only starting to occur recently? Generally Shin Splints tend to happen when people haven't been doing any exercise for a while and then try to do too much. I've had them and they're not nice.

But yeah, as Xavi has said, go kick a doctor in the nuts.

Yeah play a fair bit of football, matches every sunday although training does be on and off. The last few weeks though havent played any due to matches being cancelled pitches unplayable and no training either.

It was my first bit of running in about two weeks and we didnt do a proper warm up either. I used to get them now and again but hadnt had them in a while. Thought id gotten rid of them until yesterday.

Il make sure to have a good warm up and stretches before the next match and ill hit the doctor if it happens again.

Thanks for the info people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i'd suggest stretching calves and hamstrings as much as possible. dont go to a doctor, try a sports physio first. really your best bet for any injury below the waist is the marathon/triathlon forum... those guys know their leg injuries. most shin pain is based on calf muscles, and most calf pain is based on hamstrings. footballers tend to tightly strung objects... stretch stretch stretch and then stretch some more.

answer 1. lots of stretching.
    answer 2. sports physio.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I used to get really bad pain in my shins from jogging or training. I thought it was shin splints but no matter how long I rested up for, it would always come back. Turns out I just needed to get proper footwear as my feet over-pronate slightly, distributing the shock impact of jogging/running unevenly, and it was my shins that would bare the brunt. I thought all the techno-jargon involved with various different types of trainers/boots was rubbish; I was wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I had it twice in my short soccer career, only one real solution - Rest, first time I was back after about 4 weeks but second time it took nearly 3 months, running on hard surfaces is the main cause. Good physio can help but rest is the main cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I had shin splints too as a young lad, and went to the physio with it. I had fallen arches, which meant the muscles along the inside of my leg running up to my knw were being strained. I got insoles made up to help the problem, and before training and games I always spend more time than usual stretching my calf muscles and hamstrings.

Now I use orthotic insoles which you can get for about €30 in boots chemists.

This was the solution to my problem, obviously I cant diagnose you, but it meant I can play on astro truf and hard ground in the sumer without any pain. Used to be a nightmare playing on hard surface, but not any more, and doesnt require rest.

Go to a decent physio and you should get sorted. In my case it was an easy solution which didnt require any time spent recovering on sidelines. If I walk a lot on the pavement, I will get shin splints if I dont have the orthotics in my shoes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If footwear is the problem, wet your feet and stand on something that will leave a foot print.

flat_feet.gif

The first footprint is normal. The second indicates high arches and that your feet under-pronate. The last image indicates fallen arches (flat fleet) and that your feet over-pronate.

Advertisement