Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC DVD recorder

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Hey there

Sorry in advance if many of you know this already.

You can get the DVD recorder service in Greystones. I was told twice by them that you couldn't get it. I was about to buy a recorder and thought I try NTL one more time. Had it installed three days later :eek: What' s happened to NTL?!!

My life has changed beyond recognition. 80 hours of hard drive (*chuckle*) - it is just the business. AND only 5 euro.

Anyway if this is yesterdays news I don't care - I'm so chuffed I can actually watch decent telly rather than the ****e I watch at 8pm every night :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is the software on the recorder an improvement over the standard digital box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Hey there

Sorry in advance if many of you know this already.

You can get the DVD recorder service in Greystones. I was told twice by them that you couldn't get it. I was about to buy a recorder and thought I try NTL one more time. Had it installed three days later :eek: What' s happened to NTL?!!

My life has changed beyond recognition. 80 hours of hard drive (*chuckle*) - it is just the business. AND only 5 euro.

Anyway if this is yesterdays news I don't care - I'm so chuffed I can actually watch decent telly rather than the ****e I watch at 8pm every night :)

I also rang up and they said it wasnt covered in Wicklow so I had NTL out one saturday to install another tv point and the lads who fitted it had one in the van (glad we mentioned it!!!) and installed it there and then its brilliant once you work out how to record! would recommend it. Havent noticed any difference in service I think its only approx 5/7 quid extra a month. just think you never have to watch another add (only for programmes recorded!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

eoin_s wrote: »
    Is the software on the recorder an improvement over the standard digital box?

Eoin they replace the standard ntl box with box size of old dvd/VCR machine but well worth it!

anniec wrote: »
    Eoin they replace the standard ntl box with box size of old dvd/VCR machine but well worth it!

I just wonder how the software on it compares to the previous digital box - I found the software on it to be quite buggy. They will want to have done a pretty good job to match the Sky+ box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Is the reception any better? I wouldn't pay for it until the service to the area is improved first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

There's definitely an improvement in the picture. The recorder (so far) is brilliant. Really user friendly. I love being able to record and watch something else, fast forward the ads, pause etc.

I've only just got this so we'll see...

There's definitely an improvement in the picture. The recorder (so far) is brilliant. Really user friendly. I love being able to record and watch something else, fast forward the ads, pause etc.

I've only just got this so we'll see...

Glad to hear it's working well. My NTL box paused live TV as well quite often, but not on purpose.

Have you used Sky+ before? If so, how does it compare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theres been a lot of discussion of it over on the Cable\MMDS forum.

consensus is its not as good as Sky+ (you can only record one thing at a time for a start) and is a bit buggy, but unless your willing to put up a satellite dish, its the only show in town.

If they'd managed to launch it a bit earlier I might have stuck with NTL, but having got Sky+ I'm never going back...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

theres been a lot of discussion of it over on the Cable\MMDS forum.

Loyatemu - you really need to get out more :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Loyatemu - you really need to get out more :p:D

true, or just block boards from my PC - its only a matter of time before I end up on the Mustard forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

loyatemu wrote: »
    true, or just block boards from my PC - its only a matter of time before I end up on the Mustard forum!

Mmmm.. mustard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

After hearing the good reports of this recording thing I decided to get one,
    Ordered it last week and they said someone would be around today..

Well do you think the baboon showed up...

Why i had to stay in the gaff for the day waiting for someone that wasn't going to show up and even if id got a phone call....??

Monkeys...!!!

Advertisement