Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Type of Heating in New House

• 03-03-2008 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey Folks,

I was just wondering does anyone have any advice on what heating system we should put into our new house? I am currently locked in dispute with herself over it. we have agreed on solar panels but are uncertain whether to go for geo, airothermal, wood pellets but may yet have a back up oil system. does anyone have any advice on the efficency of geo/air and the savings, plus how much they cost to run daily/monthly etc. the house will be a b+ energy rating we're hoping. any advice given is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Too many variables to really give a good answer, what construction method? what thickness of insulation?, HRV or holes in the wall?
    How many windows? what U value do the windows have? Dormer windows or Velux?
    If you design and spec the house right paying careful attention to passive solar gain you may need very little heating, and if you follow the Passive house planning package you may need none at all!
    Plan it wrong with big north facing windows and you could find yourself needing far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

You will receive technical suggestions I'm sure from the pros lurking here however I am in the same situation as yourself and was advised the following:

Insulation insulation insulation....above everything else......

Buzz word here seems to be airtight .....coupled with HRV.....although I'm sure peeps here will give you their opinions of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

IN GENERAL

airothermal don't work well here with our high relative humidity and variable air temps COP ( co effeicient of performance ) varies for 1-2 to 1-5 i.e. for every unit of ESB consumed you get back between 2 or 5 units of heat energy

Geothermal - horizontal will require are about 3 times floor plan - if your site does not have this - you can't do this - COP 1-6 typical

Geothermal - vertical bore - very expensive - budget extra €10k for drilling alone
    COP 1-5 typical

Capital cost for Wood pellet is high 14 - 16k not including the cost of the enclosures - big watertight shed for boiler + pellets . costs you to build and costs you site space

These capital costs will mean paybacks of about 20 years - if you plan to move on beforehand then install very efficient oil of gas boiler ( 95% efficient )

Solar panels - South facing say 4m2 cost about 6k . "Free" summer hot water
    I would do it . not so much for payback period ( typically 10 - 12 years ) but perception at re sale of house should re coup capital cost

Insulate as good as you can . Dont build cavity wall - use Proton / SIPS / timber frames / ICF

Get hold of a good air tightness tester before you start works . LISTEN TO HIM.

Install a HRV - don't use an open fire

don't use recessed lighting - anywhere

fit a draft lobby - min 2000 deep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

In addition to all the above, consider where u locate ur HW cylinder in relation to hot water pipe runs, try to minimise the run so as now it will save u energy costs and once we have charges for domestic water it will save u more money.

Similiar considerations apply to the radiator runs, energy cost savings as u heat the least amt of water.

The common thread running through all the suggestions here is to first minimise the energy requirement and then look at how you meet it.

In relation to solar HW, just remember that you will need to be able to 'boost' the temp to 60C or just above to keep it bug free during the off summer months.

Even, however unlightly it may be :) if you win the debate with herself, plan for multiple heat sources to ur HW cylinder so get one with at least 2 coils, maybe 3, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Proton

What is?
    Install a HRV - don't use an open fire

don't use recessed lighting - anywhere

Why is?
    Ifit a draft lobby - min 2000 deep

What is? - answer... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055248093

• Advertisement

snellers wrote: »
    You will receive technical suggestions I'm sure from the pros lurking here however I am in the same situation as yourself and was advised the following:

Buzz word here seems to be airtight .....coupled with HRV.....although I'm sure peeps here will give you their opinions of this!
    Have to agree with that, thay's how I've done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

snellers wrote: »

Again, I completely agree. I've often read posts where people say things along the lines of "we're going to put in as much insulation as possible but the budget is tight because we want Geothermal and UFH". Insulation doesn't have fuel deliveries, esb bills or maintenance costs. Its also much easier to get it right at build stage.

Don't go for open fires as already stated, put in room sealed wood burning stoves with dedicated air supply. Go for a flue rather than a chimney.

Ask people for advice. I've been overwhelmed at times by peoples willingness here to give advice. Several of the regular posters here are construction professionals who give their time\advice freely.

If you see someone is talking about an alternative build system you are interested in then PM then to see how they got on. I've been to poroton sites, sip houses and ICF houses this way.

Good luck.

Advertisement