Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you see what I see?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

A mod might imbed these pics, as I can't!!!

Beautifully disguised at the end of the row of sales cars is a rather crafty speedtrap. It was toward the end of a 3/4 mile straight stretch where people tend to go well over the limit.

It also overlooks the site of a terrible crash 14 years ago where 2 people died and 5 or 6 people were injured in a single car collision on Easter Sunday.

I just felt that the thought gone into hiding this trap deserved to be noted!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was looking in the bushes for a camera!

Do they have the camera mounted on the dash?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

aren't they great! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

land9 wrote: »
    I was looking in the bushes for a camera!

Do they have the camera mounted on the dash?!

I think it is the mondeo at the end of the row of cars. There seems to be a copper in in from the third picture

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Indeed, it is the Mondeo sitting at the end of the row with the 2 gardai sitting in it.

With all of the deaths on the Galway roads in the last couple of weeks, I'm quite happy to see them out and about. If people know that the traps aren't going to be easy to see, then it might slow people down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Ya, I only copped when I seen the 3 antennaes on the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Is that in Galway, specifically the Turloughmore/Lackagh area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Is that in Galway, specifically the Turloughmore/Lackagh area?

It is indeed. It's just past the turn for Ballinvoher. You sometimes see them outside the church in Lackagh (a 50kph area due to the school, church, shops, and housing, that a lot of people ignore), or in Turloughmore (60kph, village on a long bend which, again, a lot of people ignore).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Fey! wrote: »
    If people know that the traps aren't going to be easy to see, then it might slow people down a bit.

I disagree, speed trap technology means that a speeding car will be caught long before they spot a garda in a hi visibilty jacket.

So I reckon a large noticable speed check would put off more people from speeding as they will be aware of the garda presence whereas the only people that speed check is goin to make slow down is the people that get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Came down a slip road on the Cashel by-pass the other day and half way down it was a Garda car doing speed checks. They were far back enough that you couldn't see them unless you looked in your rearview mirror just as you went past. Thought that was very smart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

ergonomics wrote: »
    Came down a slip road on the Cashel by-pass the other day and half way down it was a Garda car doing speed checks. They were far back enough that you couldn't see them unless you looked in your rearview mirror just as you went past. Thought that was very smart!

They aren't holding a speed laser-gun, looks like they're taking a break.

Or possibly, on the lookout for a reported stolen car/dangerous driver/drunk driver etc.

Still, I suppose its a bit sneaky :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

maybe they are just having lunch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

they do that a lot down here in Cork as well. i saw them nab a car that overtook me a few weeks ago. as i passed by the end of the slip road i saw the squad car up there and knew the guy was toast.

they caught one guy after a short chase to catch up with him and while this was happening how many people saw that they were speed checking on that road? a few at most but if they were in a highly visible spot where everyone that passed would see them, they would cause a lot more awareness IMO but of course its not about safety when tactics like this are employed :rolleyes: theres 2 that spring to mind though.

1. revenue generation.

2. filling of speeding fine quotas

one thing is for sure though, theyre not up there for the view :D

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

They are there on a regular basis, they get you coming down the hill past the Sawmill. I've seen a good few people getting caught there.
    Mind you they are usually there very early in the morning, and parked further in at Duffy's...
    yep and the crash happend just a few yards from that spot..its a dangerous stretch of road that...

ohh ya they also park behind the wall at the pub in Turloughmore and get you as you enter the village, you'd go past and not see as the wall is high..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

TBH parking on a slip road, unless there was a dedicated place for them to park off to the side of it, doesn't sound very 'smart' to me.

Advertisement