Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which high end sporty car for poor roads?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I've never been much of a car person before, basically coz I never had the bobs to afford anything other than a banger, so didn't entertain dreams of having a beamer, merc etc etc.

But now i'm thinking I might very well manage to get myself a top car later this year :).

But not really sure what would suit.

Basically I want something sporty, but also sturdy as
    I live in rural Portugal and some of the roads aren't great, so I will want something that can handle pot holes, and even dirt tracks at times.

Any of you motoring afficiandos got any ideas :) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Subaru Forester 2.5XT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Anan1 wrote: »
    Subaru Forester 2.5XT?

Thanks for the suggestion. Probably a sensible option, but it just doesn't float my boat. Looking for something a bit more for want of a better word 'flash'. i was looking at the Audi site but not sure if any of the Audi sporty models are a sensible option for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

VW Golf R32 4motion DSG

Unbelievable fun to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

any WRC Rally Car will do ya.

Evos, STi's etc

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for an off -roader, 4x 4 etc. Really just looking for the likes of a merc, bmw, audi sporty car. But one that won't get wrecked on poor roads.

Edit: there are plenty of good roads here too, it's mainly the dirt track to our house that concerns me, I won't be driving the car hard on this though.

luckylucky wrote: »
    I'm not looking for an off -roader, 4x 4 etc. Really just looking for the likes of a merc, bmw, audi sporty car. But one that won't get wrecked on poor roads.
    If you want to be able to handle dirt tracks and potholes, then you really need some sort of a 'soft roader'. If you want something 'flash', then you'll just have to stay away from the dirt tracks & potholes. The basic question for you is therefore: Which matters more, ability or image?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Edit: there are plenty of good roads here too, it's mainly the dirt track to our house that concerns me, I won't be driving the car hard on this though.
    Have you done any research yourself? Did you find the websites of those manufacturers?

Which matters more, ability or image?;)

lol defo a vanity thing I'll admit ;).

Don't get me wrong the roads here aren't absolutely terrible, you get the occasional crappy road and we have this dirtrack to our house, I mean I only drive 20 mph on it max anyway. Just when I was looking at some of the Audis they looked a bit too low to the ground.

Are you sure there is not some happy compromise out there?

JHMEG wrote: »
    Have you done any research yourself? Did you find the websites of those manufacturers?

I'm looking now. I'm sure if I keep trawling the internet I'll find a few that might suit. I didn't think there was any harm in asking here first though as I'm fairly clueless in regards to cars and most everybody here would have a far better idea of what would be out there.

• Advertisement

lol defo a vanity thing I'll admit ;).

Don't get me wrong the roads here aren't absolutely terrible, you get the occasional crappy road and we have this dirtrack to our house, I mean I only drive 20 mph on it max anyway. Just when I was looking at some of the Audis they looked a bit too low to the ground.

Are you sure there is not some happy compromise out there?
    How about an Audi Allroad? They're a lot more expensive than a Subaru Forester, and slower and less reliable too, but they are a good deal more 'flash'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

How about an Audi Allroad? They're a lot more expensive than a Subaru Forester, and slower and less reliable too, but they are a good deal more 'flash'.

Was just about to suggest this also.

The thought processes you have outlined and your insistence on owning a BMW/Audi/Merc only streghten my resolve NOT to buy any of these marques...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

lamborghini, no question

lamborghini_r3-95.jpg

pburns wrote: »
    Was just about to suggest this also.

The thought processes you have outlined and your insistence on owning a BMW/Audi/Merc only streghten my resolve NOT to buy any of these marques...

Was waiting for the inevitable sanctimonius comment. Hope you're well self-satisfied. :rolleyes:

Btw I've always driven bangers before and I didn't give two hoots what people thought about me.

I'm making decent money lately just about for the 1st time and i'm contemplating splashing out, I'm not going to apologise to anyone for that.

Also I didn't insist on the car being any particular brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Have to 2nd Wossack here, end of the day you'll have a Lambo. that is not going to loose it's front end at the first pothole or speed bump and, it has serious alloys..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

All cars will get wrecked on poor roads. I've had 3 Audis and 2 BMWs and suspension problems are a regular occurence on our poor roads here. Audi Allroad might be a goer, though.

cantdecide wrote: »
    All cars will get wrecked on poor roads. I've had 3 Audis and 2 BMWs and suspension problems are a regular occurence on our poor roads here. Audi Allroad might be a goer, though.

Sounds like i'll have to abandon getting any of these type of cars then. Got advised from a boardsie pal of mine that the subaru impreza might be the kinda car that would suit. Think it might be too. So I'm going to check it out. Thanks for all the replies btw (the non sarcy ones anyway) so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

X5 or Cayenne - both should handle rough roads - both handle fairly well (car like) and both high end.

None of them really fit into the 4*4 category

Otherwise the Forester as Anan1 suggested. The Imprezza may not like the rougher stuff too much unless you buy one with fairly high profile tyres ( ie not one of the fast ones ).

but if fuel consumption is an issue at all the X5 3.0d is your only option

RobAMerc wrote: »
    X5 or Cayenne - both should handle rough roads - both handle fairly well (car like) and both high end.

None of them really fit into the 4*4 category

Otherwise the Forester as Anan1 suggested. The Imprezza may not like the rougher stuff too much unless you buy one with fairly high profile tyres ( ie not one of the fast ones ).

but if fuel consumption is an issue at all the X5 3.0d is your only option

Just checked out the X5. I think I like :)

• Advertisement

If you want a badge with big wheels:

BMW X5, Mercedes ML-class, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus RX-anything.

All these are on their respective manufacturer's websites.

Sounds like i'll have to abandon getting any of these type of cars then. Got advised from a boardsie pal of mine that the subaru impreza might be the kinda car that would suit. Think it might be too. So I'm going to check it out. Thanks for all the replies btw (the non sarcy ones anyway) so far.
    Just bear in mind that the Forester 2.5XT was made for people who want an Impreza WRX but need the ability to go off-road. The X5, on the other hand, was made for peroxide blonde mommies.;)

JHMEG wrote: »
    If you want a badge with big wheels:

BMW X5, Mercedes ML-class, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus RX-anything.

All these are on their respective manufacturer's websites.

Ta.
    Just bear in mind that the Forester 2.5XT was made for people who want an Impreza WRX but need the ability to go off-road. The X5, on the other hand, was made for peroxide blonde mommies.;)

lol, I hear yeah, sheit I'm the male equivalent of a dumb blonde then :(.

i'm going to have a good look around first, I'm sure my initial opinions and outlook will change as I begin to get a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Dub6Kevin wrote: »
    VW Golf R32 4motion DSG

Unbelievable fun to drive!

He said high end.

groupb wrote: »
    He said high end.
    He even named the badges!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Audi Allroad, 3 litre, tdi, quattro. Comfortable, fast, not a problem on bad roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Im in rural ireland and managed with an audi TT. Situation is like yours, roads in general ok but road to house was second gear max with a rough surface. Though my TT would start to rattle but no. drove it here for 2 years and was still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

How about the new Honda Legend? Lovely car, vastly underrated, beacuse it's a honda and not a Benz, and it'll be reliable. Plus it's four wheel drive! Click the link; you know you wanna!
    http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=4468

Or how about a Subaru Legacy? http://195.212.6.166/Subaru_ie/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M3M3M0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Lets be fair there is a LOT more to the X5 than a blonde cart - it really is quite good to drive and has very car like handling.

I am not sure about the Lexus or Audi Q7 cutting the mustard as 'sporty' there a bit more mummsy I think

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    How about the new Honda Legend?
    Yaw, but look at that badge. It's ghastly.

Advertisement