Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which high end sporty car for poor roads?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

JHMEG wrote: »
    Yaw, but look at that badge. It's ghastly.

I did get your point the first time you know ;)

Not as concerned with 'badges' as you seem to think either. I'm not much of a car person tbh in the 1st place. I'm just thinking it might be nice to actually drive something the completely opposite to the piles of sh1te I've driven all the time before.

P.S. I've never said Yaw or loike anytime in my life either ;), sorry to disappoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

luckylucky wrote: »
    Not as concerned with 'badges' as you seem to think either.
    really just looking for the likes of a merc, bmw, audi
    defo a vanity thing I'll admit

Make up your mind!

I've never been much of a car person before.
    But not really sure what would suit.
    Any of you motoring afficiandos got any ideas :) ?
    lol defo a vanity thing I'll admit ;).

You forgot to quote my wink here btw. it was a tongue-in cheek type comment. So in case you don't get that here's ;):p;):p;):p
    Are you sure there is not some happy compromise out there?
    I didn't think there was any harm in asking here first though as I'm fairly clueless in regards to cars and most everybody here would have a far better idea of what would be out there.
    Sounds like i'll have to abandon getting any of these type of cars then. Got advised from a boardsie pal of mine that the subaru impreza might be the kinda car that would suit. Think it might be too.

We can all do selected quoting to paint things in a certain light!!!:mad:
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Make up your mind!

The whole point is I'm openly admiting I'm clueless when it comes to cars, so that's what I was hoping to get here some help in starting me off in making up my mind! I valued and appreciated all serious suggestions.

I had to reinforce the point that I was thinking of a high end sporty car not a 4x4 as that was where the thread was going. Hence the reference to BMW, Merc, Audi - and yes these are defo on my consideration, I never said it absolutely had to be one of them though. In fact I'm beginning to think they just would not be practical for here.

Man I should have expected to get this. I don't think we are quite the nation of begrudgers that we once were but still there obviously. At 37 I'm enjoying success for about the first time and I was just thinking about splashing out, you know if I drove around in a Lada, the very same begrudgers would be saying ffs, look at that tightwad. Can't friggin win. :mad:

Oh and just to make it crystal gear since you enjoy being so judgmental I am not some D4 Yaw Yaw type like you seem to conveniently picture in your mind.

Was on dole for a good spell in my early 20's - not by choice and went hungry more than once at certain points, thankfully those low points are hopefully well behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Didn't judge you at all there boss.
    Anyway my advice is to get a Legacy, a Legend or a Lexus; perhaps the GS300. They're all different cars but reliable, much more exclusive than a Benz or Beemer and the Legacy/Legend both feature four wheel drive. The Legend and Lexus are a good deal more expensive than the Subaru but you know yourself. Just a few suggestions.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Didn't judge you at all there boss.

Cheers, don't think most people did to be fair. But at least one very clearly did. ;)

Thanks again for the tips. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Subaru Forester STi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

BMW X5 3.0d would be my choice. Nice and sporty looking IMO. Reasonably economical and quick with the newer engine. Just don't go for one with big wheels and it will ride better on the rough roads

Maybe have a look at the new BMW X6 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Mercedes CL or any Porsche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

RobAMerc wrote: »

I am not sure about the Lexus or Audi Q7 cutting the mustard as 'sporty' there a bit more mummsy I think

Plant your foot in a Lexus RX400h and see how mumsy it is. Would blow most saloons and sport hatches out of the water, never mind a big heavy diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hence the reference to BMW, Merc, Audi
    For me that says enough. It says you want a badge, not how much money you have or haven't got.

• Advertisement

So far the BMW X5 is the one car mentioned here that appeals to me the most in terms of a compromise between high end sporty car and practicality, but it'll probably be a few months down the line before I actually buy anything. There is a part of me that thinks that such a car might be a bit OTT for here tbh but I wanted to see what was out there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

An X5 is neither high-end nor sporty. Unless you're the kind of person who finds Victoria Beckham classy.

Anan1 wrote: »
    An X5 is neither high-end nor sporty. Unless you're the kind of person who finds Victoria Beckham classy.

lol, sheit man you are really putting me off now, I hate that woman :p.

Nearly 100,000 for a decent spec X5 and you don't consider it high-end. Would seriously like a job where you work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

f22 wrote: »
    Plant your foot in a Lexus RX400h and see how mumsy it is. Would blow most saloons and sport hatches out of the water, never mind a big heavy diesel.

Whether it's fast or not is immaterial, it is still a yummy mummy's car. Speed has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't buy any 4X4 to be honest, I simply don't see what they do that a standard 5 series or A6 or whatever doesn't, something like a 530d or a Merc E320 CDI or an A6 3.0 TDI would be far, far nicer.

E92 wrote: »
    Whether it's fast or not is immaterial, it is still a yummy mummy's car. Speed has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't buy any 4X4 to be honest, I simply don't see what they do that a standard 5 series or A6 or whatever doesn't, something like a 530d or a Merc E320 CDI or an A6 3.0 TDI would be far, far nicer.

All personal taste, the Audi or Merc wouldn't interest me in the slightest though. Most of the cars/4x4's mentioned are perfectly good in their own right so it comes down to what floats your boat.

I get bored after a year in a car regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

f22 wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    There is a bit more to being sporty than just being quick - this is not a game of top trumps is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ha ha - well put, but this guy wants something that handles rough roads and handles well - the X5 is a reasonable option imo

a legacy outback would be another - if you want new the new diesel boxer engine looks great - imo they are classless and cool.
    (not beckham class less now).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mercedes CL or any Porsche

Hello? Any Porsche ? On bad back roads.........I don't think so !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

RobAMerc wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    There is a bit more to being sporty than just being quick - this is not a game of top trumps is it ?

Agreed, but mumsy to me is something like a Honda HRV/ Nissan Qashqai or the likes.

Speed is part of a sporty (sports) car in my mind, what's the point in having a "sporty" looking car that's all show and no go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Heres one for you, Subaru Tribeca. I have just seen one in a showroom (just out) very nice and you will not see many others on the road. I should however say that I just bought an RX400h, more than happy with it. I didnt know the Subaru was due out, but dont know if it would have changed my mind anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Would you really like be seen in an X5? What about a discovery? Way classier and very comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The 3L diesel X5 has plenty of Torque and should be fast enough. I don't think the guy is looking for neck snapping acceleration from his comments, just something that looks nice, has a bit of power and some prestige attached to it. It will handle the back roads well. While many of ye disparage the x5, its a fine vehicle for what it is. Its not trying to be an M3 or a 5 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

astraboy wrote: »
    The 3L diesel X5 has plenty of Torque and should be fast enough. I don't think the guy is looking for neck snapping acceleration from his comments, just something that looks nice, has a bit of power and some prestige attached to it. It will handle the back roads well. While many of ye disparage the x5, its a fine vehicle for what it is. Its not trying to be an M3 or a 5 series.

It actually is trying to be a 5 series, which is why I don't like it. It's not "sporty" to drive. That term is so silly anyway, it's a marketing term. To me, sporty is about leaving you with a pain in your back from the discomfort fo the stiffly sprung suspension.
    Legacy Outback is the best option for reasonably rough roads and reasonably tidy handling on good roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Personally, I'd go for the outback too, I think you can even get an STi version with the 2.5L engine out of the last impreza. An animal of a car I'd say. But I still stand by the x5, I like them. Bound to be able to handle rough roads better the the 5 series. I doubt the guy is going to be pushing his car to the limits of grip anyway, so an X5 is a great compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Subaru if you want the performance, trying to talk herself into getting rid of teh woeful X3 and getting an Outback but seems to be a losing battle...

If the majority of the driving is going to be on decent roads and only occasional short slow runs on rough stuff and if it is a vanity thing then a BMW 530d or 6 series would be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 barrymac

The subaru supporters are probably more sensible but I do just love the audis. Do any other cars have a shock absorber system option where the viscosity of the fluid can be changed electronically via magnetic particles? Apparently it adjusts up to 1000 times a second and adapts to conditions pretty much in real time.

I don't think you'd get a bose sound system in a japo car either, but I think the Lexus ones are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Of course the X5 is trying to be like a 5 series. The chassis is from the 5 series for a start(as is most of the interior, engines etc). What it is is a 5 series on stilts. How much more trying to be like a 5 series can you get?

Not that there's anything wrong with trying to be a 5 series mind. They always have been superb cars(they ballsed up the current one though, but it's still a good car, just not as breathtakingly good as the previous 2 generations were). The E34 is 20 years old this year, and it would give some brand new cars a run for their money.

Advertisement