Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler problems - Comeback?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

We've recently purchased and moved into a second hand house (circa 5 years old) in Dublin 15, and have just given the boiler its first service (via Bord Gais). The serviceman basically informed us that the boiler was in bits - due to us being in a hard water area, the workings had become very corroded and would need to be replaced. He feels that the boiler hadn't been properly treated with the chemical solution necessary for use in a hard water area, and that it had also been installed at an incorrect angle allowing water to leak back into the system.

All in all, it's his opinion that the boiler was never properly installed in the first place, and I was wondering if this would be something covered by Homebond - he says he's come across other cases like this where the owners have claimed off the builders for these sorts of problems.

Do I have any comeback on this?

PS Caveat Emptor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Homebond only covers the structure of the building. Since you are the second purchaser and it's over 5 years since the property was handed over I very much doubt the builder will entertain you, infact I'd be very surprised if they even inspected this for you. In fairness boilers should be serviced every 12 months - this is not up to the builder.

Maybe you have some comeback with the original purchaser but I really doubt it, you'd have to check with your solicitor

Advertisement