Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2000 Opel Tigra 1.4 - reliable??

Options
  • 03-03-2008 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi.

I was thinking about getting an 2000 Opel Tigra 1.4 and was wondering if it’s a reliable car? I would be getting it from a garage and it’s fully serviced. Should I be expecting problems with that age/ model car over the next few years?

Cheers,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

mungovan wrote: »
    Hi.

I was thinking about getting an 2000 Opel Tigra 1.4 and was wondering if it’s a reliable car? I would be getting it from a garage and it’s fully serviced. Should I be expecting problems with that age/ model car over the next few years?

Cheers,
    D

Like any 8 year old car, it may be prone to certain things starting to go wrong, but if ya can get a bit of warranty with it it should be ok. If the Engine is the same as the 1.4 Astra, check that the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. Opel recommend this after around 60k miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

As with any car look for full service history. Look for when the timing belt was done as this is the main failure point of this engine. If it hasn't you'll be looking at an expensive job or if you don't do it an expensive repair some day!

Its recommended every 50k - 60k miles for this engine or every 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

Even if the Belt does snap on these they are a non interferance engine so there will be no smashed /Bent valves
    i had one of these cars years ago and yes they are reliable
    not the most fun to drive thought the 1.4 is V underpowered (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

buy a puma instead - way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JohnG2176

+1, don't buy a tigra, i bought one before in a moment of madness, it was pretty difficult to get a good price on resale, you'd probably be better off investing in an astra to get your moneys worth, i wish i had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement