Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about being offered college courses

Options
  • 03-03-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

could someone explain to me the system that happens when you get offered your college choices? i asked my guidance consellor the other day and she just confused the hell out of me. :confused: all i know is that you get your first choice like a week after your results and you get a choice from your level 8's and your level 6/7's. dont have a clue about accepting/rejecting and the whole round 2/3/4 parts.. any help would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

If you get the required amount of points for your course and meet the other requirements (like minimum grades for Science subjects/Maths) then you will offered your first choice providing it is not on random selection which means too many people are applying and they do not have enough places. Mostly happens on Medicine courses etc.

If you get offered your first choice you WILL NOT be offered another course.

If you get offered your 2nd course in the first round then you can accept it and still be offered your first choice in the second round of offers.

You can be offered your higher choices and not lower choices in the subsequent rounds. Thats why it is VERY IMPORTANT to list your choices by matter of CHOICE.

Hope i didnt confuse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

but say u ve got ur second choice, and after recorrection of the papers u have enough points for the first choice, is there a certain date that u have to accept the course?
    how does the acceptance thing work anyway? Do you have to send them a letter or phone them?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yuugib wrote: »
    but say u ve got ur second choice, and after recorrection of the papers u have enough points for the first choice, is there a certain date that u have to accept the course?
    how does the acceptance thing work anyway? Do you have to send them a letter or phone them?

Such occurrences are all handed by the Round 2 and 3 enrollments. refer to that for your dates. But in experience I was in 6th year and saw people get re-evaluated/accepted as late as mid-november... so yeah, I hate them, but there you go.

aw.. i see, confusing
    i guess there wont be much point of starting that late now :(

thank u for making it a bit more clearer)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Yuugib wrote: »

When you've been offered a place on a course (or possibly 2 places if you have applied for a Level 8 and a Level 6/7) there are usually some instructions with the offer about accepting the place. Something along the lines of pay the following bank giro to pay registration fee for college etc ( it's been a while since I did it so I don't remember the details). There is a cut off date, about a week to 10 days I think. If you are accepting a place, get your ass in gear and go and do the paperwork. There is no late acceptance, no exceptions and if you don't accept on time, you lose the place and it will be offered to someone else in the next round. If you do not want to accept an offer you don't have to do anything, you just ignore it.

If you are offered a choice that was higher up your list in a later round, you do not have to accept it, you might be happy with your second choice for example. But if you do accept it, you automatically give up the first offer you were made.

if you are in the scenario that your points went up after a recheck and you get the points for a college course, they HAVE to offer you a place on that course. It could be as late as november as you say, but you will have the option of deferring the place if you want until the following year, so you aren't too far behind going into the course and you still get to keep your place on the course. One of my former students appealed her chemistry three times before they upgraded her (they didn't count the marks for one of her questions, and amazingly were not able to see this each time it was appealed). She was offered Pharmacy as late as December with an option to defer but chose to take up the place on the course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

One of my former students appealed her chemistry three times before they upgraded her (they didn't count the marks for one of her questions, and amazingly were not able to see this each time it was appealed). She was offered Pharmacy as late as December with an option to defer but chose to take up the place on the course.

WTF? Did she have to pay for the two unsuccessful appeals? :eek:

WTF? Did she have to pay for the two unsuccessful appeals? :eek:

ya, she was refunded in the end, if you're not happy with the appeal you can appeal again and i think if you're not happy with that the next appeal takes place in Athlone at a venue near Dept of Education or something. on LC chemistry your best 8 questions are counted and they only counted 7 on hers. Quite an obvious mistake, and there were a few things in the paper itself that she should have got marks for. I think the first time she appealed it, they didn't even bother looking at the score, they just checked the questions she appealed. Wasn't really good enough though IMO. She went from a B3 to a B1 and that 10 points was the difference in getting Pharmacy or not.

say if you have accepted your second choice, but then in november you get offered your first choice.. does that mean that the payments that you have made for college transfers ? or what happens there?

ps. sorry for annoying, but nobody in the school seems to know the answers :(

I found out a couple of important dates:

Results
    13th August

1st Round offer
    18th August

Acceptance by
    26th August

Well i'm not completely sure, but I think there is some sort of refund given for the registration fee if the course is in a different college, if its the same one it won't matter. To be honest, I know it's easy for me to say but there's no point worrying about it unless it actually happens to you. If you end up in that position I'm sure the CAO will be quick to tell you where you stand

Advertisement