Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulation behind Sills ?

• 03-03-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi folks..
    A quick question about the detailing behind the sills..

I am going for pumped bead insulation in my 100mm cavity.. The blocklayer recommended packing the top of the cavity behind the sills with aeroboard, down about the depth of the sills.. Would this be standard practice??
    Surely the point of the specific drilling/pumping pattern round windows is to ensure fill up to the bottom of the window frames??

If this needs to be done I dont mind... I just dont want to do it if its not required and I cant see the point.....

Advice / Opinions please..

Slan
    BAM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bbam wrote: »
    Hi folks..
    A quick question about the detailing behind the sills..

I am going for pumped bead insulation in my 100mm cavity.. The blocklayer recommended packing the top of the cavity behind the sills with aeroboard, down about the depth of the sills.. Would this be standard practice??
    Surely the point of the specific drilling/pumping pattern round windows is to ensure fill up to the bottom of the window frames??

If this needs to be done I dont mind... I just dont want to do it if its not required and I cant see the point.....

Advice / Opinions please..

Slan
    BAM
    It is standard to put insulation behind a cavity, to reduce the thermal bridge. Normally the cavity id bridged by the cill so it breaks the insulation.

you said "top of the cavity behind the sills", this sounds like your sill is sitting on the outer leaf only. How in window fixed/held?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

HI Mellor..
    Here are some photos I took....

img3349lj5.th.jpg

img3350kr8.th.jpg

You're right... The sill is on the outer leaf only, is this OK? My sill wouldnt be wide enough.

What my blocklayer said was to use aeroboard to close the cavity..

I also had a look at my homebond book again and I see that the sill can be used to close the cavity...

I'm thinking now I should use the aeroboard to close tha cavity both top and bottom, I had thought the window frame closed this opening :o , But I see now I was wrong..

The devil is in the detail :confused:... thats where us first timers go wrong !!

Cheers..
    BAM

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bbam, have you any insulation where the inner leaf meets the outer leaf at the ope jambs??? it doesnt look like it by those pics??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you talking about at the closer block syd?
    It looks like there is 25mm EPS there to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you talking about at the closer block syd?
    It looks like there is 25mm EPS there to me.

yeah, i didnt realise i could enlarge the pics... :o

doh..!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    What do you guys think of the idea of closing the cavity with Aeroboard as suggested by blocklayer..
    I checked the detailing on the DPC trays and all is in order as per the homebond recommendations...

It'll be a week before the rep from the insulation company can visit site..

Thanks
    BAM

Advertisement