Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Jeff Healey RIP

• 03-03-2008 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this

clicky
    Guitar wizard Norman Jeff Healey of Toronto died Sunday of cancer. He was 41.

Healey was considered a prodigy and earned numerous Juno and Grammy nominations in the course of his career.

He lost both his eyes to retinoblastoma before he was eight-months-old, but never let that slow him down./

/In 1988, his Grammy-nominated album See the Light included the major hit single, Angel Eyes. In 1990, he earned the Juno for entertainer of the year.

Healey became an internationally-known star who played with musical greats that included B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

The Jeff Healey Band was a sellout act across Canada and sold over a million albums in the U.S. market.

But Healey's passion was not always in rock music and later in his career branched into jazz, especially from the golden years of the genre in the 1920s and '30s. He released several jazz CDs and had a collection of some 25,000 78 rpm jazz records.

Until recently, he had a show on a Toronto jazz station CJRT-FM.

Early last year, Healey underwent surgery to remove cancerous tissue from his legs, and later from both lungs; aggressive radiation treatments and chemotherapy failed to halt the spread of the disease.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Is this true!!!OMG!!! Seen him play in the Red Box a few years back!!
    Will be sadly missed!! Great player!! R.I.P Jeff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh suck! That's terrible, RIP. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Aaaaaaawwwwwwwwww f*&!in hell. That's terrible news. He was a brilliant musician/songwriter. I only had the privilege of seeing him in concert once. Way back in the late 90s or early 00s in the ******* Theatre.

I'll be getting that new album("Mess Of Blues")when it comes out.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Sad, sad news. what a fine guitarist he was. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

That really sad. His rip roaring version of While my guitar gently weeps was the first I heard of him

Great player
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Was in Toronto in '97 and some of the Irish lads from the backpackers hostel had met him in a jazz club and had a few beers with him, said he was a lovely guy!! I'm sure he's up there jammin with Stevie and Jimi now!!

This was one of the tracks that sparked my interest in Jeff from the early '90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

He's a strong man, didn't let his lack eye sight hold him back from doing what he loved and making something of his life.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

oh man. :(

Thats really sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

the condolences list has stuff from all over the world, went from 36 to 411 pages overnight......
    a very sad day indeed, someone who truely appeared to enjoy his craft, wether he was playing blues/rock or jazz, caught him over here a couple of times and two of my favourite gigs ever, he put so much feeling into what he did......RIP Jeff.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One of the best, what a terrible sad loss.
    RIP Jeff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Great bluesman, I really loved his first two albums.

RIP

Advertisement