Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there shame in doing ordinary level

Options
  • 03-03-2008 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

I was just wondering what people thought about doing ordinary level do you think that there is any shame in doing it? I know in my school there is! I don't think this is fair as not everyone is good at a specific subject! What are your opinions?

Comments

None. It is your leaving cert. I did one pass subject because I didn't want to spend loads of time on Irish, and that I was doing 7 other honour subjects. Shame? Pah. Was a great decision looking back on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I know,people shouldn't be judged for their ability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mmad

Nope. If you know for definate what you want to do after school (be it a trade or college) then do ordinary in the subjects that are holding you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I've dropped Higher Irish. What's the point in getting yourself all in a tizzy about a subject you don't need? there's absolutely no shame in it in our school. In fact most people do 6 honours and 1 pass to ease the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I've dropped Higher Irish as well. I actually love the language and would love to be able to speak it fluently but I'm just not good enough! I blame the course..:P

There's no shame whatsoever. There's always going to be a stigma upon a student who does all ordinary level but there's nothing shameful about a few OL subjects, especially if you know you can afford it, points wise.

I can't stand the snobby all honours students in my year...GRRR!

• Advertisement

It is the course isn't it??? I'm fine with structuring sentences but as for the stupid stories and that :eek:. I'm grand with French... the Dept of Edu seriously needs to look at updating the syllabus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Doing ordinary level means you're an inferior human being and you have nothing to offer society. NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

No I don't think there is any shame in it at all. I am doing two honours-English, and History. Doing 5 pass - Irish, French, Maths, Accountancy, and Economics. The main reason I am doing mainly pass is because I don't study much and I only need 200 points. I got a little less than this in my mocks, but I am confident for the real thing that I will get over 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

No I don't think there's any shame in it. Some very clever people can do many ordinary level subjects simply because they have no interest in them. I know that for many people, me included, I find it very hard to learn or study something that I have no interest in.
    And then for things I do have interest in, I find it very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

thatone! wrote: »
    I was just wondering what people thought about doing ordinary level do you think that there is any shame in doing it? I know in my school there is! I don't think this is fair as not everyone is good at a specific subject! What are your opinions?

don't worry about what your school think, they can't make you do higher level. Your leaving cert is about you, not your school. If you are struggling with a subject at HL and are at risk of failing it, or finding the pressure too much, then do ordinary level. my brother was rubbish at Irish and did honours until some point in 3rd year, he wanted to change to OL and his teacher said to my mother at the parent teacher meeting 'I'd prefer him to fail honours than do pass' which was frankly bizarre. He did OL in the end and was happier with his decision.

I try to get as many of my students as possible to do higher level if they are able for it but some students just don't have the ability in some subjects and would do better on an ordinary level paper and I would advise a student of the same if it's better for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No shame in it what so ever. I did 8 subjects last year, 6 hons and 2 pass.
    I wasnt arsed to spend time studying languages, and so I did pass Irish and German. There were people in my year that spent time doing 8 hons subjects.
    One of them in particular, I know for a fact he could have done much better than if he didnt do 8 hons. Up to you OP, but it worked for me.
    If we were counting 8 subjects for the cao they all would have been better off... but we not, we counting 6.. Be smart and use the rules to your advantage.
    I have my points in my LC, they have their "prestige" of doing 8 hons subjects. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I can't stand the snobby all honours students in my year...GRRR!
    That's called jealousy.

You're a lesser human being if you do OL, it's a common fact that's often ignored in our PC obsessed society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I think dropping to ordinary is grand, no shame in dropping to OL in a subject your not very strong in.
    Im doing 8 honours at the moment but Im thinking of dropping to OL Irish because I really can't see myself putting in the effort in the next few months to even get a C in honours (Fair enough, I could probably do allright if I really tried, but I do have 7 other honours to study for..), Ive never been that good at it and Don't think I need it so Im probably going to drop.
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know if honours Irish is actually needed for anything other than primary teaching? Reason being I don't want to drop it if it will limit me in later life and Im not ruling out secondary teaching as a possible future job.. You don't need honours Irish for secondary teaching right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    That's called jealousy.

You're a lesser human being if you do OL, it's a common fact that's often ignored in our PC obsessed society.

well said

coming from me whoes doing OL maths :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Do what you want to do. It's your Leaving Cert and your ability is unique!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    No I don't think there is any shame in it at all. I am doing two honours-English, and History. Doing 5 pass - Irish, French, Maths, Accountancy, and Economics. The main reason I am doing mainly pass is because I don't study much and I only need 200 points. I got a little less than this in my mocks, but I am confident for the real thing that I will get over 200.

Did you make sure that the course you want to do doesn't require a certain number of honours subjects? My friend got screwed by that one-had enough points but not enough honours level subjects.

I dropped to ordinary level Irish after the mocks in third year purely out of laziness, the multiple choice questions were just too tempting :D

Did you make sure that the course you want to do doesn't require a certain number of honours subjects? My friend got screwed by that one-had enough points but not enough honours level subjects.

I dropped to ordinary level Irish after the mocks in third year purely out of laziness, the multiple choice questions were just too tempting :D

yep, that can be a big problem. Dropping to ordinary level because you're finding the course difficult is fine, dropping out of laziness could be a potential problem down the line when you want to change course in college, take a year out, apply for something different, and you find that the grades you had which were fine at the time, now aren't good enough for a course you want to do.

Have seen a few students drop from say 3 honours/ 4 passes to all passes in the weeks before the leaving when they were accepted onto a course/didn't need honours for their course, and then a year later having to repeat because they didn't like the course but were restricted in what they could apply for with their original results.

Redisle wrote: »
    I think dropping to ordinary is grand, no shame in dropping to OL in a subject your not very strong in.
    Im doing 8 honours at the moment but Im thinking of dropping to OL Irish because I really can't see myself putting in the effort in the next few months to even get a C in honours (Fair enough, I could probably do allright if I really tried, but I do have 7 other honours to study for..), Ive never been that good at it and Don't think I need it so Im probably going to drop.
    A bit off topic, but does anyone know if honours Irish is actually needed for anything other than primary teaching? Reason being I don't want to drop it if it will limit me in later life and Im not ruling out secondary teaching as a possible future job.. You don't need honours Irish for secondary teaching right?

No it's not needed for secondary teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

just saw this thread title on the front page so thought i'd gatecrash the LC party.

no shame whatsoever, that's ridiculous. i did a couple ordinary level subjects and I'm now a marine scientist. and one of my degrees is actuarial studies. it has nothing to do with your intelligence. it has everything to do with choosing the best route for you.

although obviously when you reach the point where you might wanna have kids, you should probably adopt from an honours student. for the good of society

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most people doing the Leaving Cert. do Ordinary Level.
    Boards.ie does not reflect the real world.

Ignorance and snobbish attitudes are something to be ashamed of, there is no shame in sitting an Ordinary Level Leaving Certificate.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Doing ordinary level means you're an inferior human being and you have nothing to offer society. NOTHING.

And that post makes you look both big AND clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

A minority of people in my year, don't do ordinary level in a subject at least. I personally do Ordinary Maths as it's just too hard to keep up in honours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

nah, like there is this lad in my year he got 10As in the JC, he dropped higher maths just before xmas ,i was there WHAT O_o but like he wants more time for other subjects ( well mostly irish) .

i do one pass as well,like i know i wouldn't have an chance in getting A or B in English , so i am not even gonna waste my tiem on trying -_- lol ~~i have a excuse for that though ..a bad one..=O ..:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

~Candy~ wrote: »
    nah, lyk there is this lad n my yr he got 10As in the JC, he dropped higher maths jst b4 xmas ,i was there WHAT O_o but like he wants more tym for other subjects ( well mostly irish) .

i do one pass as well,lyk i no i wudnt have an chance in getting A or B in English , so i am not even gonna waste my tym on trying -_- lol ~~i have a excuse for that tho ..a bad one..=O ..:D

I despise text speak :mad:

you're not the only one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I despise text speak :mad:

sorry ..=O
    let me edit it ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

spurious wrote: »
    Most people doing the Leaving Cert. do Ordinary Level.
    Boards.ie does not reflect the real world.

Ignorance and snobbish attitudes are something to be ashamed of, there is no shame in sitting an Ordinary Level Leaving Certificate.

Correct:)

My brother sat all ordinary subjects for his LC and passed. He didn't get that many points at all. Not that it matters much considering he has a good job with a decent starting pay and good prospects. Keep in mind he has only left school.
    The point being that college and the LC is not worth much in the long run.

I am in college and while I find it suits me, it does not work for alot of people irresepective of their academic "intelligence".
    Keep in mind that after the first year of college, the results you obtaind in college are far more important than lc points/grades. Believe me.

That's called jealousy.

Please tell me you are joking... you cannot be serious...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

That's called jealousy.

Haha, I hope you're not serious:D
    Since you mention politcal correctness I am less inclined to believe this.

Advertisement