Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there shame in doing ordinary level

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I despise text speak :mad:

I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

In my school everyone thinks that whoever is doing ordinary is stupid. You get treated badly like you can't achieve anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Well, they're the eejits like some of the people on this board I could mention who say people that do ordinary level are lesser beings. GET A LIFE PEOPLE... intelligence isn't everything... you have to have a personality too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

spurious wrote: »
    Most people doing the Leaving Cert. do Ordinary Level.
    Boards.ie does not reflect the real world.

Ignorance and snobbish attitudes are something to be ashamed of, there is no shame in sitting an Ordinary Level Leaving Certificate.

Here here

Exactly judgement shouldn't be based on intelligence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

I love it.
    :p haha ..*handshake* yeah...i text too much -_-

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Doing ordinary level means you're an inferior human being and you have nothing to offer society. NOTHING.
    I love it.

Do you try to be obnoxious or does it come naturally? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

No of course there is not really any shame, though tbh i don't want to have to, i'd love to be able to do honours maths for lc but am doubtful even though i like got an a in junior cert honours maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

thatone! wrote: »
    In my school everyone thinks that whoever is doing ordinary is stupid. You get treated badly like you can't achieve anything :(

:eek:!!that's so mean like...!!!!
    in my school they are some ppl who don't do anything and always messing in classes, it kinda give some of the ordinary classes a bad name...if you know what i mean

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Do you try to be obnoxious or does it come naturally? :confused:

The first quote obviously wasn't serious and there's nothing wrong with text speak. One quarter the vowels in half time, what's not to love? :)

• Advertisement

Yeah its really mean because your looked down on

aliqueenb wrote: »
    i'd love to be able to do honours maths for lc but am doubtful even though i like got an a in junior cert honours maths

About 56000 sat JC maths in 2007 and about 4000 got an A in higher.

About 49000 sat LC maths in 2007 and over 6500 got a C3+ in higher.

Don't be silly! :eek:

You're more than capable.

Agree with you there. I got a C in the Junior Cert and if I can stick with honours maths I'm sure you can!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

thatone! wrote: »
    Exactly judgement shouldn't be based on intelligence
    Surely it's a factor though.

Not that many subjects in the LC actually measure intelligence....
    nerdysal wrote: »
    Well, they're the eejits like some of the people on this board I could mention who say people that do ordinary level are lesser beings. GET A LIFE PEOPLE... intelligence isn't everything... you have to have a personality too!
    Yes, but it is really rather funny when people exhibit a lack of it, like in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

i'm going to do OL maths for leaving. All i need is a c or higher in maths to be accepted in the Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You're a lesser human being if you do OL, it's a common fact that's often ignored in our PC obsessed society.

What a load of bollocks tbh, that's the biggest load of sh1te I've seen online all day. A lesser human for taking a different colour piece of paper, and being less skilled at the subject than your friend who took higher level? WTF? Lesser skilled perhaps, but a lesser human, you couldn't be serious.

Myself, I took O.L. Irish as I only started to study it at an older age, and hence missed out on alot of the basics at school, I still sat HL for the Junior Cert and got a C.
    If my memory serves me correctly, I still got the same points as you in the LC, does doing OL irish make me a "lesser human being"?

sd123 wrote: »
    you couldn't be serious.
    Got it in one.

I love this board.

Got it in one.

I love this board.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Got it in one.

I love this board.

jaysus, i can see that you're really busy in college LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Ha doing well in exams isn't an indication of intelligence. I got 10 As in my JC, my IQ is probably around 110 (though I'll never know that for sure as the results from an IQ test would be a serious blow to my ego :p). My dad failed his leaving and was told by mensa that he's one of the most intelligent people in Britain. Go figure.

My parents brought me up to believe that being a good person is far, far more important than having good grades. They had it very right imo.

• Advertisement

I feel really bad when people are laughed at because they're doing ordinary level, it happens alot in my school.

Ha doing well in exams isn't an indication of intelligence. I got 10 As in my JC, my IQ is probably around 110 (though I'll never know that for sure as the results from an IQ test would be a serious blow to my ego :p). My dad failed his leaving and was told by mensa that he's one of the most intelligent people in Britain. Go figure.

My parents brought me up to believe that being a good person is far, far more important than having good grades. They had it very right imo.
    Try telling some of the robots on this board that!!!:rolleyes:

Try telling some of the robots on this board that!!!:rolleyes:

Such as whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

That's called jealousy.

You're a lesser human being if you do OL, it's a common fact that's often ignored in our PC obsessed society.

I know you're joking, or being sarcastic or trying to be funny (dunno which one?!) but I'm gonna reply anyway.

Why would I be jealous I'm doing 8 subjects, 7 of which are honours, which technically is 'all honours' to you. The only reason I'm doing ordinary level Irish is because I can afford to.

I'm not saying all all honours students are snobby but the ones that are, annoy me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bunnywabbit*

Im doing 2 pass and 5 honours....
    The thing is Im getting a C and a B in my pass subjects,

and nothing lower than a high C in my honours ....

I'm not ashamed of my levels to be honest, I dont see a reason why I should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I used to think there was a little bit of shame in doing ordinary level subjects, especially when talking to your friends etc

but now I couldnt give the slightest crap and all im looking at (and everyone else at this stage of 6th year) is getting the course I want.

Advertisement