Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flue-lining in a semi-d

Options
  • 03-03-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Have a gas-fire that I never use, which is connected to a brick chimney - not sure what lining it has. I would love for the gas fire to be converted to a real, coal fire. From what I have read about flu-lining, it's entirely possible (eg. flue can be "cast in place" in cement).

How much is this likely to cost me ? Just looking for ballpark figures as I know every instance will be different.

House is a three-year-old semi-detatched with brick chimney

Thanks

Frank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

franksm wrote: »
    Hi folks

Have a gas-fire that I never use, which is connected to a brick chimney - not sure what lining it has. I would love for the gas fire to be converted to a real, coal fire. From what I have read about flu-lining, it's entirely possible (eg. flue can be "cast in place" in cement).

How much is this likely to cost me ? Just looking for ballpark figures as I know every instance will be different.

House is a three-year-old semi-detatched with brick chimney

Thanks

Frank

Are u suggesting that ur chimney has no flue liners as required by the building regs and that it is just concrete.

Can you provide links to the what you have been reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ah, no, not suggesting that

What I am really asking is: my house has a gas fire and a brick chimney. Have no idea what the innards are. Can I have it converted to a 'real' fire and what's the typical cost of such a thing ?

Any ideas, anyone ?

How easy is it to have a gas-fire ripped out and a 'real' fire installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,157 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You may get more replies in the DIY forum so I will move it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Is there a chimney pot up top? if it's a clay pot then it's possible that your chimney is already lined for use with solid fuel. You'll need to remove the gas fire to determine if it's lined. Take a picture and post it there and we'd have a better idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres a few things to check if its a new build .

First is to make sure ,your fire is not a flueless fire.
    Another thing is ,the ceramic firebrick for gas fires won't suit a coal fire.
    Also ,I've heard stories about people converting to coal and seeing cracks after around the breast upstairs because of the heat from a coal fire.
    Only in new houses though ,older houses are fine with coal fires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tech head

i got my chimney relined by a company from galway they installed a stainless steel liner.it only took them a day to do a very professional job.and the best bit is they guantee it for ten years.they are called multiflue and i have no problem in recomending them,(i have no links with the company)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

tech head wrote: »
    i got my chimney relined by a company from galway they installed a stainless steel liner.it only took them a day to do a very professional job.and the best bit is they guantee it for ten years.they are called multiflue and i have no problem in recomending them,(i have no links with the company)

In fairness tech head to be useful we need to know what kind of fire u will be using in the newly lined chimney and why did u get it lined: were you flueless: I can be a bit clueless.

The OP here wants to go from gas to solid fuel.

I dont believe u can use solid fuel in a ss flue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was called to check out houses in the clonee area lately ,some of them had pseudo chimney breast and no stacks outside.

Suprising to see houses without chimneys ,all they had where roof vents.

Flueless gas fire4244.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tech head

ircoha wrote: »
    In fairness tech head to be useful we need to know what kind of fire u will be using in the newly lined chimney and why did u get it lined: were you flueless: I can be a bit clueless.

The OP here wants to go from gas to solid fuel.

I dont believe u can use solid fuel in a ss flue

i have gas fire , i got chimney lined because of cracked liner .
    and you actually can use the ss liner on solid fuel.if it doubt contact the experts

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments back and forth. I haven't actually moved into the house yet, was just planning ahead - so will get some pics of the fireplace in due course. All I know for now is that it's a gas fire connected to a real-looking chimney

Advertisement