Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern games feature 'virtual rape', MP tells Parliament

Options
  • 03-03-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭

BBFC disputes Keith Vaz’s claims during debate over Private Member’s Bill
    MP for Leciester East Keith Vaz has put forward the questionable claim that players can “rape women” in modern games to Parliament.

Vaz was speaking in support of of Conservative MP Julian Brazier’s Private Member’s Bill on Friday – which seeks to introduce an official governmental body that can challenge BBFC rulings.

According to Spong, Vaz stated:

“People who are watching a film at the cinema cannot participate in what is happening on the screen, or if they do they are removed from the cinema.

"However, someone sitting at a computer playing a video game, or someone with one of those small devices that young people have these days, the name of which I forget… PlayStations or PSPs, something of that kind."Well, whatever they are called, when people play these things, they can interact. They can shoot people; they can kill people. As the honourable Gentleman said, they can rape women."

Vaz’s claims were questioned by Tory MP for Wantage Edward Vaizey.

He told Parliament: "...the right honourable Member for Leicester, East (Keith Vaz), who chairs the Home Affairs Committee, mentioned that some video games allow the participant to engage in a rape act...

"I checked the point with the BBFC and found it to be completely unaware of any such video game.

"Is the honourable Gentleman aware of any video game that has as its intention the carrying out of rape or that allows the game player to carry out such an act? The BBFC and I are unaware of any such game."

So.. the informed debate carries on!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

God help us all when GTA comes out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me signs up to Second Life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

There is a game called Battle Raper or something on the PSP I think. Though it's probably not out over these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I see our friends in government across the water are prepared to spout out the first thing that comes to mind, akin to one of our own's recent lightbulb moment of swapping ours roads to match the continent

must say i had a WTF moment when i found the 3 maidens in the jacuzzi in god of war recently. funnily enough i was prepared to make several attempts at completing the process, whereas in real life i usually doze off after my first attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

pretty much if this becomes a law and bans any game you can be guaranteed it will be in Japanese so we won't have to worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Crucifix wrote: »
    There is a game called Battle Raper or something on the PSP I think. Though it's probably not out over these parts.

lol

Maybe Mr. Vaz found some special cheat codes that noone else knows about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

One wonders how such utter ****wits can get elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ok, is there any game that has something even remotely like rape that the player can take part in? I'm baffled here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

nothing that is out over here afaik, i suppose you can half convince women to have sex with you in mass effect but not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,972 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crucifix wrote: »

Battle Raper is a Japanese beat em up for PC similar to Soul Calibur. The more they fight, the more their clothes fall off. There's no rape in it.

It's made by a Japanese company called Illusion. They specify in high quality 'adult games'..most of them are just straight forward fare. Virtual girl type things. There's one called Rapelay though where you have to stalk a family of girls and eventually rape them.

Anyway, it's all far too obscure and eastern to be known by the BBFC others concerned with the content of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Absolam wrote: »

He told Parliament: "...the right honourable Member for Leicester, East (Keith Vaz), who chairs the Home Affairs Committee, mentioned that some video games allow the participant to engage in a rape act...

"I checked the point with the BBFC and found it to be completely unaware of any such video game.

"Is the honourable Gentleman aware of any video game that has as its intention the carrying out of rape or that allows the game player to carry out such an act? The BBFC and I are unaware of any such game."

Lol, Mr Vaz got pwned by Vaizey!!!111!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Aye, Rapelay sprung to mind upon reading that, but in truth, it's obscure and Japanese and not likely to be stocked in your local Game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Kharn wrote: »
    Aye, Rapelay sprung to mind upon reading that, but in truth, it's obscure and Japanese and not likely to be stocked in your local Game :D

Gamespot?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

“People who are watching a film at the cinema cannot participate in what is happening on the screen, or if they do they are removed from the cinema.

"However, someone sitting at a computer playing a video game, or someone with one of those small devices that young people have these days, the name of which I forget… PlayStations or PSPs, something of that kind."Well, whatever they are called, when people play these things, they can interact. They can shoot people; they can kill people. As the honourable Gentleman said, they can rape women."

*sigh*

Why is it that everyone latches onto the control element as the reason why games are so dangerous. its a load of bollocks.

Its actually the controls that are grounding video games in reality.

The sheer bluntness of pressing X to shoot enforces the notion of a barrier between reality and what is on the screen.

This is further enhanced by the *pillers* of videogames, Lifebars, Scores, HUD...etc

Video Games do so much more then films to ground the player constantly that the line between fiction and reality is always there.

Films are much more influential, not that film's are dangerous but they do have a greater effect on the viewer then a video game has on a gamer. I think there's a book by Parker Tyler on how in the cinema the lack of control and the uninterrupted link between viewer and film has an imense effect on the viewer.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone play the new World of Leather & Sharpened Ingots® expansion for Microsoft Rape Simulator 2008 yet? How do I turn off the HDR? Blood shouldn't be that shiny? Also, can you re-map the keys? Can't seem to map the impregnate key to anything other than INS.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I become so enraged when reading this tripe...

Seriously...

Insulting such a large population of people by implying we are mere cavemen with a monkey see monkey do attitude..

**** off and die in a car fire after your airbags fail!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

oh and re-read this:
    someone with one of those small devices that young people have these days, the name of which I forget… PlayStations or PSPs, something of that kind."Well, whatever they are called,

Seriously WTF!!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    *sigh*

Why is it that everyone latches onto the control element as the reason why games are so dangerous. its a load of bollocks.

The sheer bluntness of pressing X to shoot enforces the notion of a barrier between reality and what is on the screen.

This is further enhanced by the *pillers* of videogames, Lifebars, Scores, HUD...etc

Video Games do so much more then films to ground the player constantly that the line between fiction and reality is always there.

Films are much more influential, not that film's are dangerous but they do have a greater effect on the viewer then a video game has on a gamer. I think there's a book by Parker Tyler on how in the cinema the lack of control and the uninterrupted link between viewer and film has an imense effect on the viewer.

Nicely put. Thank you, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

BBFC disputes Keith Vaz’s claims during debate over Private Member’s Bill
    MP for Leciester East Keith Vaz has put forward the questionable claim that players can “rape women” in modern games to Parliament.

In other news the British Parliament has moved to out law what is commonly known in scientific circles as "reality", as it has been determined by various government experts that it is now possible to rape and murder people in "reality"

When ask was it necessary to punish all participants in "reality" for the possible actions of a small, sick, minority, MP for Leicester East Keith "The Bulldog" Vaz replied "Yes, yes it is. It is the only way to protect our children"

From next Wednesday "reality" will have to be approved by the BBFC, and may be censored if interaction is deemed inappropriate. "Reality" will only be shown after 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

In other news, low-bit politician does not know what (s)he is talking about, tells blatant lies & spreads misinformation.
    More at 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

o1s1n wrote: »
    Battle Raper is a Japanese beat em up for PC similar to Soul Calibur. The more they fight, the more their clothes fall off. There's no rape in it.
    No rape. Just rubbing some semi-naked unconscious girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

If there was a game were you could rape women I think I would have played it by now. Several times in fact. Possibly if it came on a handheld I would go to the park and play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I disagree!

.... see sig ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

someone with one of those smelly devices that the iraqis have these days, the name of which I forget… smellygas or sarin, something of that kind.Well, whatever they are called.

If it wouldnt wash for that why does it wash for computer games?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Was the native American girl in Custer's Revenge on the Atari 2600 consenting to sexual relations with Custer?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

+1 for a politcal based game

ive always wanted to play an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fnz wrote: »
    I disagree!

.... see sig ;)

wait do you agree or disagree? your sig is saying the same thing I am saying?

or is this sarcasm in the highest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

So does this mean that video games are responsible for all the people being killed, maimed, tortured and yes even raped in Iraq, and not the politicians after all ?

I would have thought that sitting at home in my arm chair playing video games was far less harmfull than being a politician sending soldiers into a foreign country, but I guess I was wrong, this guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

stevenmu wrote: »
    So does this mean that video games are responsible for all the people being killed, maimed, tortured and yes even raped in Iraq, and not the politicians after all?
    Well, it would be silly to blame people for that. Its obviously the games. Those evil, evil games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

but seriously, games have such a bad inlfuence, they make me do things

yesterday me and my mates where running around a carpark throwing huge balls of bluetac at each other with blackcats inside shouting

" haha stuck you"

(i just got a real urge to actually do this, haha)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That guy is my new hero... Not only is he pretty much the only MP out there who would be prepared to shoot a claim like this down, he also has a badass job title!

Advertisement