Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern games feature 'virtual rape', MP tells Parliament

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    wait do you agree or disagree? your sig is saying the same thing I am saying?
    Yes! :D
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    or is this sarcasm in the highest?

T'was more an outright fabrication than sarcasm! I'm not down with scapegoating so wanted to point folk to the research you seemed to be quoting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Spyral wrote: »
    someone with one of those smelly devices that the iraqis have these days, the name of which I forget… smellygas or sarin, something of that kind.Well, whatever they are called.

If it wouldnt wash for that why does it wash for computer games?

Because computer games aren't important in comparison to gassing a bucket load of Kurds? Madness, I know, but that might just be it.

Jesus, can't we go more than a month without some other non-story about people who don't understand the intricacies of our pastime being ridiculed as some sort of well dressed vegetable who is incapable of basic thought due to not knowing the difference between a psp and an ps2.

Maybe the guy has a point, as crazy as that might sound.
    I'd be more interested in what the proposal actually is rather than how he put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Fnz wrote: »
    Yes! :D

T'was more an outright fabrication than sarcasm! I'm not down with scapegoating so wanted to point folk to the research you seemed to be quoting.

actually *heh* I was quoting film theory, its basic introduction to film and cinema papers. And also my own experiances.

I know video gaming is not a sport but it generates the same response as a sport does in the players when playing it online, especially in games like Counter Strike and other FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Was the native American girl in Custer's Revenge on the Atari 2600 consenting to sexual relations with Custer?

Being tied to a cactus should be enough foreplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

wot is this plonker on about?

rape in games... wot games...

this muppet is jus jumpin on the "i hate games and old people agree wit me" band wagon.. who probably thinks "The Godfather" is a game dedicated to family values and attending family meetings with olde granny ned.

in my opinion, games are a release for the user to block out the horrid outside world and for a brief while connect wit a perfect virtual world to gave fun and releave stress.. i love playin games and without playin games on my pc or xbox i feel broken cos its my stress relief...

i work as a freelance computer technician and lately i've been thinkin that customers in shops and such should be given an IQ test before allowin the purchase of certain products and such..

the other day i got a call from a client wantin to know if "he needed that sticker on the bottom of his laptop cos he felt he didn't need it and it was jus a buynch of numbers", i called out to find out that he was refferring to his Windows Vista Activiation Product key sticker.. and thus made me think...

why are dumb people allowed to buy anything.. hence my idea on an IQ test..

i play Splinter Cell and MAnhunt a lot but u don't see me hidin in the dark with a plastic bag or hangin from the ceilin waitin to interrogate someone on the location of their tea bags.. i thank u..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DamoBrad wrote: »
    wot is this plonker on about?

rape in games... wot games...

this muppet is jus jumpin on the "i hate games and old people agree wit me" band wagon.. who probably thinks "The Godfather" is a game dedicated to family values and attending family meetings with olde granny ned.

in my opinion, games are a release for the user to block out the horrid outside world and for a brief while connect wit a perfect virtual world to gave fun and releave stress.. i love playin games and without playin games on my pc or xbox i feel broken cos its my stress relief...

i work as a freelance computer technician and lately i've been thinkin that customers in shops and such should be given an IQ test before allowin the purchase of certain products and such..

the other day i got a call from a client wantin to know if "he needed that sticker on the bottom of his laptop cos he felt he didn't need it and it was jus a buynch of numbers", i called out to find out that he was refferring to his Windows Vista Activiation Product key sticker.. and thus made me think...

why are dumb people allowed to buy anything.. hence my idea on an IQ test..

i play Splinter Cell and MAnhunt a lot but u don't see me hidin in the dark with a plastic bag or hangin from the ceilin waitin to interrogate someone on the location of their tea bags.. i thank u..

Have you ever heard the phrase "Jack of all trades, Master of none". You can't expect somebody to know everything about anything, we have limits to how much we can learn. The politician is more then likely reading out what he has been told or read somewhere. He is wrong for not doing proper research, but the whole thing was probably a very small part or his day and not that important to him. Nowhere close to what it is to the average gamer.

On a side note, as a technician myself, if you continue to follow your current path you are never going to be happy at your job or any career progression after. You need to learn to accept that if everybody could use a computer your job would quickly become very defunct. And tbh, "Windows" and hardware support roles are not entirely difficult themselves and can pretty much be done by extremely average people. I should know, I work with quite a few of them. You should move to Linux/Unix, Citrix or Cisco if you want to look down on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Have you ever heard the phrase "Jack of all trades, Master of none". You can't expect somebody to know everything about anything, we have limits to how much we can learn. The politician is more then likely reading out what he has been told or read somewhere. He is wrong for not doing proper research, but the whole thing was probably a very small part or his day and not that important to him. Nowhere close to what it is to the average gamer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz#Campaigns
    Its not his first time campaigning against video games and its also not the first time he brought up false claims.

Either way he should not be bringing something like this up in parliament based on here say or anything he hasn't checked first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Would you be offended if a game let you rape women?

Are you offended that GTA lets you murder innocent men/women/grannies/anybody you want?

I found my own reaction to seeing the word 'rape' and video game in the same sentence strange. It actually shocked and offended me. Yet somehow I'm ok with murdering random people in GTA heh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well yes, sex is dirty, anything involving sex in any way is filthy and electronic sex is the work of the secular devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well what if in cod when you cornered your mans son, and instead of him going over the roof, you raped him...

wouldnt that make a much better game :P

(apologies to any male who may have been offended)

• Advertisement
Advertisement