Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screening Calls?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Do you screen your calls?

Do you answer withheld no's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

No I dont screen my calls and yes i answer withheld numbers...I think its ridiculous when people refuse to answer unknown numbers - are they going to murder you over the phone or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

One of my sisters is always at it. She will never answer. And we all have ex directory phone no's. Its a nuisance, she never calls back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

When I was 18 I started seeing this guy who turned out to be a freak. We had been "seeing each other" for about 4 weeks when i decided he was getting very intense and enough was enough. I broke up with him and he cried. Then he called me every day for a week to tell me how upset he was. He had a witheld number so I kept answering the phone when I shouldn't have. The calls lasted a further 6 months, once a week or so (I'd stopped answering withheld numbers by taht stage, he'd leave messages) and culminated in a drunken phone call when I started going out with my now ex-boyfriend. Since then, I'm very wary of answering witheld numbers, even though it was 6 years ago.

I don't like answering my mobile at all at weekends. I have to do it so often at work that phones ringing stress me out when I'm at home relaxing. We have a landline so anyone I actually want to talk to on a Saturday or Sunday know to call that. I've often not checked my phone all weekend to find a few text messages I should have responded to. I just hate the phone ringing at weekends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I have to say I rarely answer my phone to private number. I don't understand why anyone would want to block their number in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Ugh, i hate it when people block their numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I rarely answer private numbers.
    I did this morning though...big mistake.
    it was work, asking me to come in, so here i am at work, bored off my tits, and i just got a €40 parking ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

misswex wrote: »
    I have to say I rarely answer my phone to private number. I don't understand why anyone would want to block their number in the first place.

just on blocking numbers, people can be ringing from an ex-directory landline because they have no mobile credit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I dont answer witheld numbers, i tell everyone dont block your number if you want me to answer, if you cant help but have a blocked I.D. then leave a message and ill call you back.

In 99% of my experience i have never had a call worth answering off an I.D. witheld number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

misswex wrote: »

Yea it really bugs me. But what really annoys me is when they won't leave a message, how are you supposed to know who is ringing when they do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Quality wrote: »
    Do you screen your calls?

Do you answer withheld no's?

I do screen my calls yes, if i'm not in the mood to talk to someone i won't answer to them.

I don't like to answer with held numbers as it bothers me that the number comes up, i know some people can't help it with work numbers or if they ring from a landline that has to have a private number (my friends dad was a seargent in the guards and that was fair enough) but it tends to be my ex bf that rings. i have nothing to say to him, he's nearly 22 but like talking to a 5 year old because his brain is so fried from messing around with heroin etc

So yeah that's mainly why i don't answer private numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

It drives me insane when people don't answer private numbers.

I keep my number on private as it can be hard to track people down (ie they don't answer if they know its me) so I just generally keep it on private.

A lot of people refuse to answer private no's and it does bug me, esp. if I have something important to talk to them about! I normally call 3 or 4 times, till they answer, hehe.

I also admit the odd time not answering when I see a certain number on the phone (annoying ex bf, etc)

misslt wrote: »

I keep my number on private as it can be hard to track people down (ie they don't answer if they know its me) so I just generally keep it on private.

A lot of people refuse to answer private no's and it does bug me, esp. if I have something important to talk to them about! I normally call 3 or 4 times, till they answer, hehe.

I also admit the odd time not answering when I see a certain number on the phone (annoying ex bf, etc)

That doesn't make sense. People won't answer the phone to you if they see your number (why don't they want to talk to you?, that's weird) but they don't answer a private number either and you get annoyed. How do you get through to anyone?

watna wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. People won't answer the phone to you if they see your number (why don't they want to talk to you?, that's weird) but they don't answer a private number either and you get annoyed. How do you get through to anyone?

Lol I should really read my posts before putting them up.

Theres one person (my dad - long story) that won't answer the phone if he sees its me, so I keep the phone on private.

It bugs me when no-one else answers me on private. I'm strange, I know. :rolleyes:

Meh. Maybe I should just stop calling people.

Lol I should really read my posts before putting them up.

Theres one person (my dad - long story) that won't answer the phone if he sees its me, so I keep the phone on private.

It bugs me when no-one else answers me on private. I'm strange, I know. :rolleyes:

Meh. Maybe I should just stop calling people.

Oh I see, makes more sense now.

Maybe we should all throw our phones away. I'd like that idea!

p.s. you know you can have your phone off private and still make private calls. i think you put *121* before the number. I'll have to check it out though. I used to do it in work when people were avoiding my calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is there not a number you can prefix your call with to release a withheld number? 141 or 142, I think?

It'd be easier than just calling friends and leaving them in the dark.

watna wrote: »
    Oh I see, makes more sense now.

Maybe we should all throw our phones away. I'd like that idea!

p.s. you know you can have your phone off private and still make private calls. i think you put *121* before the number. I'll have to check it out though. I used to do it in work when people were avoiding my calls.

That'd be great, just save them in the phone and away I go..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I never answer the phone of its a private number, or if a number does come up and I don't recognize it, I don't answer either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

That'd be great, just save them in the phone and away I go..:D

Yeah the number is 141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Whats so bad about letting a number you dont know leave a message and get back to them if you feel like it. All manner of **** from morgage brokers etc will ring you . . . call you Mr, when your having your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

SW81 wrote: »
    Yeah the number is 141

Does 141 not block it, and 142 shows it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Healio wrote: »
    Does 141 not block it, and 142 shows it??

Well 141 is to block, not sure about 142.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

My mum, my nan and the parents in law are withheld numbers so I have to answer all withheld numbers. It drives me mad coz i dont want to answer if its his parents and vice versa. Sometimes dont wanna answer when its my own parents!! But my nans OK :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I tend to answer most calls, as some relatives only have ex-directory landlines, and I use my own mobile for work a lot too, so need to take calls no matter if they're with-held or not.

What on earth did we all do in the long distant past before we had mobiles or caller ids on landlines?? Just answered the goddamn phone, I guess. I don't get the not answering if it's a withheld number though?
    If it's someone you don't wish to speak to, just say goodbye and hang up, it's not like they've physically ensconced themselves in your sittingroom and won't leave:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I hate answering my phone... I'll usually let it ring out. It's only ever someone looking for something... I'll only answer if I'm in the humour... which is rare. Same goes for texts.

I've had death threats in the past from with-held numbers... so they're a complete no-no.

I'm not very attached to my phone.I tend to misplace it.....wait a couple of days.....locate it.....answer missed calls....repeat.

I would tend to not answer unfamillar/withheld no's because my no. is very simple and people tend to make it up to fob people off.
    The worst was when a mother gave it to her estranged partner and then absconded with the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

You need to take a hint!:D

EDIT

Oh I see!

If you just need it private for your Dad Just type #31# in front of the number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm not very attached to my phone.I tend to misplace it.....wait a couple of days.....locate it.....answer missed calls....repeat.

I would tend to not answer unfamillar/withheld no's because my no. is very simple and people tend to make it up to fob people off.
    The worst was when a mother gave it to her estranged partner and then absconded with the children.

*rings 087 1234567*

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

I hate answering private numbers..it drives me insane sometimes..most people know this about me & ring with their number showing but i think sometimes its sneaky of people to ring on private number just to catch you out!

Jackz wrote: »
    *rings 087 1234567*

My mate was 086 1234567 years ago and then his fone was robbed and he didn't bother keeping the number. ~headshakes~

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Screen landline calls with an answer machine, yes! I share a phone with my flatmate and, although we are on the national no-call list for marketers, they still call trying to spam you, for example, to refinance your home mortgage (and we lease a flat). There are also phone phishing calls that tries to get you to reveal financial information for account or ID theft. If you ever pick the phone up to talk to these jokers (to tell them where to go...), they will sell a list of those who pick up to others just like them (and you will be buried in marketing calls). Caller ID, yes! Block your number, yes! Welcome to the brave new telemarketing/theft world.

Advertisement