Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screening Calls?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Femmy wrote: »
    I rarely answer private numbers.
    I did this morning though...big mistake.
    it was work, asking me to come in, so here i am at work, bored off my tits, and i just got a €40 parking ticket.

lmao!! :D

and this is one of the many reasons why i dont answer witheld numbers..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

echosound wrote: »
    I tend to answer most calls, as some relatives only have ex-directory landlines, and I use my own mobile for work a lot too, so need to take calls no matter if they're with-held or not.

What on earth did we all do in the long distant past before we had mobiles or caller ids on landlines?? Just answered the goddamn phone, I guess. I don't get the not answering if it's a withheld number though?
    If it's someone you don't wish to speak to, just say goodbye and hang up, it's not like they've physically ensconced themselves in your sittingroom and won't leave:confused:

+1
    Don't get the big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I only really screen calls in work, I can't really be answering my phone in work so unless I know it's for something important or if I'm on my own in the office I'd leave it. Other times i just wouldn't see it ring on my desk. I've gotten bad lately at paying attention to my phone at home, it would be left in another room and I tend to miss most calls. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I never ever ever answer private numbers, all my friends and family know this, so they leave a message or text! Its just as handy ... I am very strange about phone calls anyway ... like does anyone get this :
    Do you think this is rude : When people phone when it suits them .. they put aside half an hour out of their schedule to ring you for a chat, and dont even think that you are on the other end unaware that they were about to call therefore didnt have the time to put aside half an hour for the chat they have decided they wanted, then they call you rude because you tell them you hve to hang up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

She Devil wrote: »
    I never ever ever answer private numbers, all my friends and family know this, so they leave a message or text! Its just as handy ... I am very strange about phone calls anyway ... like does anyone get this :
    Do you think this is rude : When people phone when it suits them .. they put aside half an hour out of their schedule to ring you for a chat, and dont even think that you are on the other end unaware that they were about to call therefore didnt have the time to put aside half an hour for the chat they have decided they wanted, then they call you rude because you tell them you hve to hang up ...

Well of course people phone when it suits them, you're not gonna call someone when you cant talk :D

If you're busy just say 'sorry I'm busy I'll have to talk to you later', I don't see why anyone would say you're being rude. However just saying 'I'm hanging up' cos you're busy is a bit rude alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

dont answer private numbers at all they can leave a message if its so important and i can get back to them. think it a deep seeded thing with a crazy ex boyfriend. if i dont want to talk to someone i wont pick up the phone send thema text saying im bust or that i cant talk and ill ring them later. the worst people are those who ring you talk for a few seconds and then go ahhhh act i cant talk im at work. im like wtf you do realise you called me???? madness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I dont answer private numbers either, as someone just said, why withhold a number anyway, if I am ringing my mate why would I not want her to see my number.

From past experience when I used to answer it was generally someone I didnt want to talk to...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I don't answer private numbers or numbers I don't recognise. It's habit from when I was younger.

Now if someone calls on private number they can leave a message and I'll call them back if I want to. I just tell most people to text me anyway cos I'll be able to answer faster than calls most of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I never answer private numbers and never have. If they want me bad enough they will leave a message.

Plus the fact I am being stalked by a crazy person who wont get the message to leave me alone even after months of ignoring her.......Rant over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Whats the big deal with private numbers? What did people do before mobiles?
    On the old landlines, you weren't able to see the number of the dialler.
    What has people so suspicious of Number Withheld?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Whats the big deal with private numbers? What did people do before mobiles?
    On the old landlines, you weren't able to see the number of the dialler.
    What has people so suspicious of Number Withheld?

ok... so why do people withhold their number??

Isnt it essentially because they dont want you to know who it is?

I dont really want to answer calls if they are withheld... makes me suspicious!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

don't screen my mobile, and do answer private numbers as a lot of the time it can be my brother calling from thailand and the operator blocks his number.

work phone number is a different thing.

Advertisement