Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Potholes...Can I bill the council?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Repeatedly requested the potholes the size of large dogs be filled, constantly wrecking my car over time (suspension on both needed fixing this year at over a grand a pop), any ideas if I can bill the council? I've no 'actual' proof of damage, but suffice to say, the wear-and-tear is taking it's toll...

Loads of phone calls and emails and the potholes just keep getting worse ??

Thanks

FBP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

There's a few threads about this. The odd person is successful. Typically it seems they will only pay out if there's evidence of previous repair work which wasn't good enough. If the pothole has not been fixed before they try to wriggle out. Keep track of every correspondence related to the pothole. If you've complained enough times about it and nothing gets done then you might have a case.

Truckdrivers! Replace your divots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I made a successful claim in the last couple of weeks. I'm expecting a cheque in the post today if not tomorrow.!
    I wrecked a tyre after hitting a pothole. I rang the local co-co and they gave me the name of the guy who I should get in touch with. I sent him a letter coupled with a receipt from the tyre fitters and a couple of photos of the road in question. They dealt with it really efficiently, I was pleasantly surprised. They wrote back late last week confirming they were prepared to compensate me for the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

I damaged an alloy wheel in one of these potholes. The council gave me the name of the person dealing with it, she said that if I forwarded receipt , photo etc of damages, I would get compensation. However that is four months ago and I am still mailing them , have got no reply to my last two mails. Am wondering where do I go now ?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

my mate claimed for damage to alloy and suspension of his 147 after he hit a pothole, the offerd to pay 1/5 of the price, he refused and it went to court where he lost. its hit and miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I damaged my alloy today on a pot hole, about a cordless phone deep and as wide as a small dog.

Alloy is completely wrecked, inside of it is buckled and a large crack heading up the inside.

Really pissed off, nearly lost the car, from the back. But got it back under control.

Now can someone help me out as what too do next?

Will I go into the DCC offices, with the alloy in hand, and show them the damage with a picture of the road ?

Cheers lads...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

msg11 wrote: »
    I damaged my alloy today on a pot hole, about a cordless phone deep and as wide as a small dog.

Alloy is completely wrecked, inside of it is buckled and a large crack heading up the inside.

Really pissed off, nearly lost the car, from the back. But got it back under control.

Now can someone help me out as what too do next?

Will I go into the DCC offices, with the alloy in hand, and show them the damage with a picture of the road ?

Cheers lads...

That happened to me a couple of years ago. I wrote to the council stating when and where it happened together with a photo of the damaged alloy. No response but three months later a cheque for the replacement wheel and tyre appeared in the post.

Advertisement