Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DynDNS with a .ie domain name

Options
  • 03-03-2008 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with using Dynamic DNS with a .ie domain name? I want to register a personal domain name (www.pdn.ie) and have the DNS works done by dyndns as support for it is built into most routers...so that I can have homerouter.mypersonaldomain.ie pointing to my home router for example...

They report that they work with .ie domains (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/supported-domains.html) so I guess I'm looking for a good Irish domain name registration agent that has either a DNS hosting package on its own, preferably one that I can update by myself through some sort of a web-form.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You sign up with DynDNS and they will give you a subdomain that will link to your router e.g. myrouter.dvrdns.org

Then in your hosting provider's control panel you should be able to configure your DNS for your .ie domain name.

You need to create a custom CNAME (an alias) of
    myrouter.dvrdns.org with homerouter.mypersonaldomain.ie

That way visiting homerouter.mypersonaldomain.ie is the same as visiting myrouter.dvrdns.org - its just an alias.

BTW I know Hosting365's control panel lets you add CNAMEs but I would imagine nearly any decent web host would also too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just to add, you can now create and manage DNS zones at www.register365.com from the control panel without having to buy hosting (comes with the domain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Thanks for that Steve - registered through yourselves (very smooth process), and specified dyndns.org's NSs....working perfect know with Google Apps & my router.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Good to hear :)

Advertisement