Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix wooden trellis to concrete wall?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, need a bit of help here...

I got a load of trellising (sp?) to put around our back yard, big 6x6 ft sections. The wall is one of those slatted concrete jobs, where concrete panels slide down between the retaining posts, really ugly looking.

The problem is how to attach the trellis to the wall securely? I've tried drilling the panels before to put up a washing line hook and they're pretty hard to make a hole in, and I'll have to do dozens! Also, as the wall are shared with neighbours, I don't want to go drilling holes all the way through either, and they're only a couple of inches thick.

So, what are my options? Possibly attach battens to the wall first and join trellis to those? Anything else?

Thanks for any help.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I take it that the post is in a 'H' shape
    first you need a concrete drill bit and a good drill
    then measure the with of the post half this and mark with a pencil
    Get the measurements of your plug and fixing that will tell you the size of the bit for the drill you need
    measeure the depth of the post and drill in no more than 2/3 the way in
    start drilling (do not drill into flange or this may break off resulting in arguement with neighbour)
    fix battens (2/1 or 2/4) to the posts using plugs and screws place plug in hole then put batten over hole then screw (make sure battens are pressure treated timber or they will rot off)
    Drill pilot hole in edge of trellis before you screw this will stop the timber splitting
    fix trellis to posts and battens (2 for the vertical and maybe 4 for the horizantal)
    but before you start wait for other replies cause there are a lot of opions about drilling these posts....let us know how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Thanks Gall. Looks like it will be battens then unless someone else knows better?

Hmm? Hmm?? :-)

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What about something like "No More Nails All Weather"?

I had a look at that page no more nails down the bottom it says 'additional fixings required'....... would that be aswell as the product or until product drys?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Just developing the points made by previous posters.

Since we dont know what sort of trellis is to be fitted, weight can be an issue here.

Also there may be re-bar in the concrete posts so drilling could be an issue.

For any serious drilling u need a sds bit and the appropriate drill: can rent maybe.

Coming back to the weight issue and not knowing how high up the wall the trellis will be fitted, I would drive 75 by 75 mm pressure treated [PT] stakes into the ground in front of each concrete post and then just have one screw fixing on top. should be a 10mm hole /plug with 6mm galvo'd or zinc plated [ZP] coach screw screws with a galvo/ZP washer on front:

The concrete post can be drilled through the timber post, just cramp it in place and the washer will cater for the fact that the coach screw is only 6mm in a 10mm hole. or 5 and 8 if u think 10 is too big. use a cheap HSS bit to drill the timber first and then put the masonery bit in.

Ideally u should buy some door frame fixings to get the full length plastic plugs: http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=34

IMO the threads on a lot of theses frame fxings is crap, hence the coach screws http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=Fasteners&MainCategoryID=6

Then I would fix a PT 4* 2 to the 75 by 75 along the bottom all the way around where I want to have the trellis start and MAKE SURE it is level.

Now you just sit the trellis on the 4 by 2 and all the remaining fixings are wood screws.....
    The 4* 2 will carry the weight while u fix the trellis...

The above links are only for info in case u don't know what theses items look like.
    ps if the trellis is flimsy then u may need a 4 by 2 on top as well and u fix this so as the trellis will hang on them top and bottom rather than sit on the bottom one, if u follow

• Advertisement

ircoha wrote: »
    Just developing the points made by previous posters.

Since we dont know what sort of trellis is to be fitted, weight can be an issue here.

Also there may be re-bar in the concrete posts so drilling could be an issue.

For any serious drilling u need a sds bit and the appropriate drill: can rent maybe.

Coming back to the weight issue and not knowing how high up the wall the trellis will be fitted, I would drive 75 by 75 mm pressure treated [PT] stakes into the ground in front of each concrete post and then just have one screw fixing on top. should be a 10mm hole /plug with 6mm galvo'd or zinc plated [ZP] coach screw screws with a galvo/ZP washer on front:

The concrete post can be drilled through the timber post, just cramp it in place and the washer will cater for the fact that the coach screw is only 6mm in a 10mm hole. or 5 and 8 if u think 10 is too big. use a cheap HSS bit to drill the timber first and then put the masonery bit in.

Ideally u should buy some door frame fixings to get the full length plastic plugs: http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=61&Itemid=34

IMO the threads on a lot of theses frame fxings is crap, hence the coach screws http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/navigation.asp?fType=Fasteners&MainCategoryID=6

Then I would fix a PT 4* 2 to the 75 by 75 along the bottom all the way around where I want to have the trellis start and MAKE SURE it is level.

Now you just sit the trellis on the 4 by 2 and all the remaining fixings are wood screws.....
    The 4* 2 will carry the weight while u fix the trellis...

The above links are only for info in case u don't know what theses items look like
    that's an excellent idea......
    hey OP,
    go with his idea.:)

Advertisement