Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Examination Superintendents for state examinations

• 03-03-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,
    Has anyone here acted as an Examination Superintendent for the State Exams?
    Could anyone tell me the rate of pay, ive looked everywhere and cant find out?
    Finally, in general do they post u far from home??
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Katiee

Yes, I was wondering the same thing actually, and also, what qualification of any, is required? Is it preffered that you be a teacher? I am sub-teaching for the year, doing a PGDE course in Primary Teaching in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You have to apply in November and all have been appointed now. I applied for years and gave up as its hard to get into. Having said that, theres a reserve panel and you could be lucky.
    There are also scribes and readers that are appointed by individual schools and pay is about 110 a day before tax but remember, English exam for a good student, you could be writing for them for 6 hours, it could be worth 10 euro an hour after tax for that sort of labour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

i think the rate of pay for Superintendents is the same as that of scribe and reader (which is a much handier job). It's hard to get into superintending, I've been teaching 7 years, I'm permanent and I've applied every year and always been put on reserve but never called.

From what I've heard, you need to be teaching for years and years or be on a temporary contract. A couple of my friends have got it, teaching in same school as me, same experience, only difference is our contracts.

Personally having seen what they do, I prefer being a reader or scribe, there are students who will be writing for hours and hours but in my experience they are few and far between. Most students I've been a reader or scribe for have had special needs of some description, hence the special centre and didn't stay in for too long.

And you can go once they go, in a proper exam centre you are stuck there until the very last student leaves.

The pay is per day, not per exam, which can be great if you have one student who has one exam and barely stays an hour, €110 for one hours work, happy days, not as good if you are supervising Honours Irish and History and stuck there from 9am to 5.20 with a post office run afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carl-sagan

hey there. Im currently doing some sub teaching in a local school..Im thinking of applying to be a scribe or a reader. Although it may be too late now. Do i just write a letter of application and drop it into the principle then..?

carl-sagan wrote: »
    hey there. Im currently doing some sub teaching in a local school..Im thinking of applying to be a scribe or a reader. Although it may be too late now. Do i just write a letter of application and drop it into the principle then..?

More or less, if you are subbing there regularly you could just ask him if there are positions for scribe and reader coming up for the exams. There might not be. He will probably tell you either way, and he might also tell you if they are already filled by staff which may be the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

carl-sagan wrote: »

1st thing you might consider is learing how to spell PRINCIPAL!!

all students who have been allocated "accomadations" by the dept will already have scribes or readers assigned to them by their schools, but each year due to accidents etc, students will be allocated emergency accomadation, so you still have a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I hear ya Enright!
    They've all been allocated by now so I'd next year is your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Enright wrote: »
    1st thing you might consider is learing how to spell PRINCIPAL!!

all students who have been allocated "accomadations" by the dept will already have scribes or readers assigned to them by their schools, but each year due to accidents etc, students will be allocated emergency accomadation, so you still have a chance

The first thing people who want to correct other people's spelling might consider is learning how to spell LEARNING and ACCOMMODATIONS, (not to mention how to start a sentence with a capital letter and end it with a full stop).
    ;)
    (Just kidding - couldn't resist!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Hey,

I've been put on a reserve list to correct History and Geography for the Leaving/Junior cert. does anyone know if there's a good chance that I'll get it? Does the pay make it worth taking over another Summer type (eg TEFL) job?

I corrected Mocks for the Dublin Examining Board this year and the pay was pretty bad but I suppose the experience is good for young teachers in interviews.

funktastic wrote: »
    Hey,

I've been put on a reserve list to correct History and Geography for the Leaving/Junior cert. does anyone know if there's a good chance that I'll get it? Does the pay make it worth taking over another Summer type (eg TEFL) job?

I corrected Mocks for the Dublin Examining Board this year and the pay was pretty bad but I suppose the experience is good for young teachers in interviews.

Best bet would be to ring the department and ask.
    Correcting for DEB ( I do it too ) is nothing like correcting for the SEC. At the conference you spend a whole day (sometimes two) going through every possible answer to every possible question. You also get to practice correcting scripts so everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. And the pay is better. If you get called up you will get in the region of 400 papers to correct for the month of July. You can pretty much forget doing any other work for that month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

funktastic wrote: »

Just out of interest, how much do DEB pay? I might do it next year

sitstill wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how much do DEB pay? I might do it next year

Depends if it is higher or ordinary and junior cert or leaving cert, but it was €2 for OL Ag Science and €2.50 for higher level this year. That's after tax which is always the figure they quote you. It varies from subject to subject.

Advertisement