Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Is a Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 HD a good buy?

Options
  • 03-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi

I have ordered a new HD for my Macbook. I currently have a 60Gb which is almost full, so I thought I would invest in a larger 160Gb HD. The model I ordered is a Hitachi Travelstar 5K160. Not a bad price 63 euro from Komplett.ie. While doing my research on which HD to choose. I came across a number of very bad user reviews from newegg.com A US website. At least 15 people have said it fails within a year, often without warning.
    I went ahead and ordered anyway, hoping these are isolated incidents.

My question is has anyone had similar experiences with this model or make of Drive? Should I cancel the order and get a better make such as seagate or WD?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Never had one myself, but ive heard bad things about them. But as long as you look after it. ie power down properly and dont knock it abotu you should be okay.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My expierience of Hitachis are mixed, but I've seen allot of the newer ones and they perform ok (It was the IBM deskstars which were a disaster but I think Hitachi ones are ok), just fyi my bro has about a 4 or 5 year old 80 or 60 gig hitachi deskstar still going strong, it seems quite and it hasnt failed yet!

Nick

Advertisement