Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration checks

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Studoc wrote: »
    She is very certain that she is treated differently based solely on the colour of her skin. That is harassment.

harassment? is it? how many times is this happening by the same garda member(s) how is she treated differently, in light of all the many non nationals living legally and illegally in the state? or in light of the fact in fairness to the amount of people that the gnib come across in a day could not know a from b? on the light side, maybe she should always wear a "kiss me quick i am irish" t shirt or hat. be seriously it is crap for her, but do the gardai do it intentionally, or just doing their job genuinely believing that she may not be an irish citizen?

that is pretty obvious by the sounds of things it because of her colour. but, for the reasons that i have stated, it is not enough to say that boarder check points or any check points in this state is a waste of money.

yes it is unfortunate, yes it is embarrising for the person if they have an entitlement to be here or is an irish citizen. but, being asked for id does happen, even with white irish people. it is not harrassement if there a garda, who has statutory power, to request this if that garda has a geniune & reasonable suspicion that a person regardless of skin is a non national who is trying to break immigration laws.

these coppers dont know the correct facts and they aint going to assume. if they did, well then these checks would be a waste of money. what might be considered as harrassment, would be in a case where a number of gardai request the same person on a number of occassions. harrassment is a word floated around to idly now a days.

however, your friend can make a complaint to the garda ombusman.

you are correct thou, many many many irish citizens are different colours. and you would think that the coppers would cop this.(but it is common for fake passports.)

but it is going to take a while (no good to your friend of course) but there is no point having an NWA (as in the rap group you know f the police and all that) attitude to it and feeling sorry for themselves - make the complaint to both the garda and ombusman. it is simple, she should confidently remind the garda in a polite manner that se is an irish citizen, most of the time a sound garda will appologise and be a bit sheepish about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

with regard to point numbe 2, you previouly stated that war and famine are not the only reasons for asylum. well the person that asking you what the hell you were on about, he is correct.you said asylum. well under section 2 of the refugee act, they are precisely the types of areas that are included if you have suffered persecution (religious, political,membership of social membership group, nationality, stateless).

He is correct about what? He did'nt mention the act, and even if he knew it existed, I don't know if he would have been bothered reading it.

the un handbook on the criteria and procedures on determining refugee claims makes it very very clear that economic migrants are not grounds for asylum. anything else is unfounded.

Yes, and nobody makes an application for asylum on economic grounds. What do you mean by anything else is unfounded?

i doubt all illegals go to much hard ship, excluding financial or trafficking (as oppose to smuggling, which is voluntary) to get here.

I am sure one or two fly in first class and stay in the Radisson waiting for their applications to be processed.

its there choice after that. (yes i have heard all the horrible stories of nationals dying in containers trying to get into england and please, i am trying not to be dispassionate or dismissive) however, the only internatinal obligation ireland has to non nationals who enter this state illegally is to not return them if they genuinely have reasons to believe that they would likely suffer persecution or serious harm and depending on any refugee scheme etablished by the government of the day catering for humanitarian disasters such as famine and floods and general warfare.

why should they be rewarded for bravely entering the state despite of state in spite of dangers if there is no need for them legally and they can safely return home?. (in that i am referring to the state requiring more people for work force ie work visas - which we dont need as in this climate there are plenty to take from the national or european work force pool and of course the non eu nationals already here)

I am not saying reward them. 19 euro a week is hardly rewarding them.

by the way, being refused entry into a public house is not always discriminatoty as you well know,

Yes, could be closing time. The poster said that he was stopped going into a pub based on his nationality, which is discriminatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

[/B]
    Yes, could be closing time. The poster said that he was stopped going into a pub based on his nationality, which is discriminatory.

un well founded / or not well founded means that after looking at the person's subjective fear and that it does not match the objective fear - then that person does not have a well founded fear of persecution. if its found and agreed that there have being inconsistencies in a claim then its unfounded and incredible.

of course people do not make applications on the ground of economic migrants. ffs! but that can be found to be the case, if the person has not being persecuted. eg nigeria - state protection is available etc.

the other chap was correct - he wondered what the hell you were raving about comparing certain illegals with asylum seekers. you said that famine and war were not the only grounds. if you are saying economic down turn (which in reality., places like china are really here) then you are wrong and appeared not to have read section 2 yourself. he did not mention section 2 you are correct, i did so no need to be dismissive of him - challenge me! by the way if you read the un handbook you would not be asking what unfound fear is and/or the situation with economic migrants.

not all illegals get €19 per week. its asylum seekers only! (you know this) there main priority is to seek shelter & food and protection, not whether they can work or not oe extra pocket money. thats the reason they are here. they will get their entitlements when they are proved to be refugees then they can make as much as they want. a majority of cases are not credible or well founded! they will be refused. they no longer have an entitlement to be hear. why should they be given as much as a cent?

as for the pub discrimination - was that the ground for refusal that he was told? or just his paranoia?

Advertisement