Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quickly Replacing Driving licence

Options
  • 03-03-2008 6:39pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭

My partner passed his driving test about 12 months ago. He got the certificate of competency but never applied for the full licence. Since then his provisional licence has expired and he now finds he urgently needs a licence for identification purposes.

I guess normally it would take maybe 10 to 14 days to get the licence back but he needs it preferably no later than this day week. Is there anyway to expedite the issue of a full licence ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

XJR wrote: »
    My partner passed his driving test about 12 months ago. He got the certificate of competency but never applied for the full licence. Since then his provisional licence has expired and he now finds he urgently needs a licence for identification purposes.

I guess normally it would take maybe 10 to 14 days to get the licence back but he needs it preferably no later than this day week. Is there anyway to expedite the issue of a full licence ?

If its a matter of identification I find its actually easier to get an emergency passport than driving licence!!

anyway I would suggest he gets all the relevant forms etc and goes first thing to Motor Tax office in the morning and see what they can do...they might expedite if its a good enough reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

first off, why wait until exchanging the cert, it does expire after a period of times.

Get him to head to the local motor tax office, they should be able to speed up processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

It's usually quicker than that, a week is how long mine took. Your still going to have to send it in anyway, best not to talk about it, and just go do it now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

Unfortunately as British citizen a passport is both expensive €180 from here and lengthy. Don't ask why he waited for it to expire I've only been trying to get him to replace it for a year.

A weeks delay is not too bad but any longer would be a problem, I guess the delay will depend on the backlog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The cert you get when you pass expires after 2 years. Would suggest it's used sooner rather than later.

Pop into the driving office and you'll get your license faster if you prove you need it. Will prob be out in 2/3 days from a few people have told me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement